Pat and Cabbage

124»

Comments

• FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Why is she called Cabbage?

While trying to find out I found this - about it being commissioned.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001051/

Red's Nicola Shindler, who will act as the Executive Producer on Cabbage And Pat, told Broadcast in an interview: "Cabbage And Pat has something really special: genuinely fresh and funny writing at its heart. Amy and Beth have created two extraordinary characters who, after coming through a life-changing event, have a brand new perspective on life and are fully launching themselves into a brave new world with gusto, warmth and humour."
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

In her early days she was a model who featured in a campaign to make us eat more cabbages... Well, that's what Cherie said when interviewed.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Cabbage is really Jean. She was called Cabbage cos years ago she was a model and she did something about eating Cabbage.

Good job she wasn't advertising Laxatives. :rolleyes:
  • bill luvs t.vbill luvs t.v Posts: 1,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched this and it has picked up mAssively made me chuckle a good few times
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is cabbages son supposed to be some young stud? Or is he meant to be some ageing 40 something looking mid-life crisis man?
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was terrible last week and even worse this week. It is totally unfunny and I only had it on whilst I was waiting for something else ..... and knitting!

I will never watch it again. Worst prog on TV.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite quite good tonight :o
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    How come one daughter grew up in Bolton?
    Judging by Diane Morgan's accent, in fact all three of the same family have wildly varying accents.

Edit; I thought that was Emma Kennedy

She was better as Philomena Cunk - the talking head in Charlie Brooker's "wipe" programmes
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

While trying to find out I found this - about it being commissioned.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001051/

Red's Nicola Shindler, who will act as the Executive Producer on Cabbage And Pat, told Broadcast in an interview: "Cabbage And Pat has something really special: genuinely fresh and funny writing at its heart. Amy and Beth have created two extraordinary characters who, after coming through a life-changing event, have a brand new perspective on life and are fully launching themselves into a brave new world with gusto, warmth and humour."

Interesting - I've only seen the first ep (and thought it unremarkable) but I hadn't known it was EP'd by Shindler. I'll give the rest of the series a shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    She was better as Philomena Cunk - the talking head in Charlie Brooker's "wipe" programmes

I KNEW I had seen her somewhere before..... she was Philomena Clunk :D:D.

The programme was bloody awful though. Laura Solon doing her bit from the Harry Enfield show..... Polish coffee waitress. Same old same old.
  • crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Since I'm a male divorcee in this age range I really wanted this to succeed. However, it's just boring unfunny garbage and a waste of two fine actresses.

Their offspring are virtually anonymous and have no personalities nor sympathetic traits at all. Where are the ex-husbands? That could have made it slightly more interesting.

What happened to Peter Davidson (the male interest) from episode one? In reality though, once he had met the fit Cabbage, he would surely have dropped his interest in the more frumpy Pat and transferred his affections to the former!
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    The title was enough to put me off!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    Since I'm a male divorcee in this age range I really wanted this to succeed. However, it's just boring unfunny garbage and a waste of two fine actresses.

Their offspring are virtually anonymous and have no personalities nor sympathetic traits at all. Where are the ex-husbands? That could have made it slightly more interesting.

What happened to Peter Davidson (the male interest) from episode one? In reality though, once he had met the fit Cabbage, he would surely have dropped his interest in the more frumpy Pat and transferred his affections to the former!

He turned up again last night.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    I think I may be the only person in the country that quite likes this, its sweet and while there are no laugh out loud moments, bits do put a smile on my face and its really easy to watch, I can't see what's in it that makes people feel so strongly negative about it. Then again I liked Me and Mrs Jones and that was similarly panned so maybe I have awful taste ;)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's dreadful!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok there are no gut wrenching raw out loud moments but those seem few and far between in todays comedies, but its ok and not something I would say deserves such bad reviews.
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanted to like it as have been a fan of Lunghi and Flynn for years, not least that they have the sexiest voices in media. But then they have to do 'oop north' accents for this...(yes, I know Cherie's from Nottingham) It paled very very quickly.

And this might be a bit anorak, but the change from 'Cabbage and Pat' to 'Pat and Cabbage' just kept me going back to the old soldiers' nickname for the cap badges of the Hampshire Regiment and the York and Lancaster Regiment... which have in their centres a Tiger over a White Rose. Known as ..... the Cat and Cabbage... Had to keep telling myself PAT... not CAT...

Disappointed.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this tonight as bugger all else was on and wasn't paying attention until they were at the wine tasting and a bloke chatted up Barbara Flynn, me and the husband both said at the same time ' Who is he' does anyone know what his name is and what else he has been in?