What is the point of the iphone 5c?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
Forum Member
Can somebody please enlighten me?
What is the point of this iphone that is supposedly the "inexpensive" version of the iphone 5s? and its what, 100-150E cheaper? really? And plastic?! are they crazy!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is to make many millions of pounds from gullible consumers who want to take a selfie with an Apple logo .

If these people had any ounce of sense, they would do their research and discover an alternatibe at a fraction on the cost .
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    It was never ever said to be an inexpensive iphone. Only the press and bloggers said that.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 5C is a cosmetic refresh of the current iPhone 5 and it makes a lot of sense to repackage and keep selling old models if a company can get away with it.

In Apple's case they keep old production lines buzzing producing not only last years models but ones from two years ago. How profitable must that be?

The strength of the branding and their ability to control distribution and pricing has made selling old phones at premium prices possible so far but times are changing and this strategy might not sustain them in the longer term.

The bottom line is that for as long as people keep buying the products, Apple will continue as they do. If it isn't broke why fix it?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is made of plastic, and all the Apple fanbois hate plastic, they've spent the last 5 years slagging off plastic phones.

So we now have the iPhone 5 S (same)
    and the iPhone 5 C (cheap), not as good specs as the competition, still missing NFC and software features, last gen camera
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It is made of plastic, and all the Apple fanbois hate plastic, they've spent the last 5 years slagging off plastic phones.

and the iPhone 5 C (cheap), not as good specs as the competition, still missing NFC and software features, last gen camera

Wasn't the original iPhone made of plastic? Or have you forgot that?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Wasn't the original iPhone made of plastic? Or have you forgot that?

Don't shoot the messenger, it's the iPhone crowd that have spent years and years telling us how nasty plastic is and how great their metal iPhones are.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    How do you know if someones buying an iPhone 5s or 5c?
    They tell you. Every hour.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    How do you know if someones buying an iPhone 5s or 5c?
    They tell you. Every hour.

Surely that applies to someone buying any latest phone doesn't it?
    Most people like to brag when they get a new toy.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Surely that applies to someone buying any latest phone doesn't it?
    Most people like to brag when they get a new toy.

Shhhhhh. Don't think logically ;)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It was never ever said to be an inexpensive iphone. Only the press and bloggers said that.

There was one report back in June that said the 5C would not be particularly cheap. While most of the pack went with the idea it would be cheap.

Tung disagreed with rumors that called Apple's lower-end offering "cheap," saying the "price is still high," reports the China Times (via Mac Otakara).

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/20/pegatron-ceo-apples-low-cost-iphone-will-not-be-cheap
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    The point is to make many millions of pounds from gullible consumers who want to take a selfie with an Apple logo .

If these people had any ounce of sense, they would do their research and discover an alternatibe at a fraction on the cost .

There again they may have done plenty of research and come to the conclusion that your assessment is wrong. I myself own an alternative brand to an iPhone. However, after owning many alternative computer brands over the years I decided to try Apple and realised what I had been missing for many years and now there's no going back.

If I tried an iPhone who knows, I may just find the same. I find a lot of these threads are more about Apple envy.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    There again they may have done plenty of research and come to the conclusion that your assessment is wrong. I myself own an alternative brand to an iPhone. However, after owning many alternative computer brands over the years I decided to try Apple and realised what I had been missing for many years and now there's no going back.

If I tried an iPhone who knows, I may just find the same. I find a lot of these threads are more about Apple envy.

I find that it's more the reverse of that. :)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eyeonu wrote: »
    What is the point of this iphone that is supposedly the "inexpensive" version of the iphone 5s? and its what, 100-150E cheaper? really? And plastic?! are they crazy!

1. Supposedly inexpensive according to who?

2. There are other high end smartphones made of plastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

The iPhone 5S is the same as what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Does that apply exclusively to Apple, or would it apply to any high end smartphone?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you have phones like the nokia Lumia 520 selling for around £90 sim free, how the hell do they expect to sell the 5C as a cheap phone for these markets which may require a cheaper handset?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the heal do Samsung expect to sell the S4 as a cheap phone in these markets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    How the heal do Samsung expect to sell the S4 as a cheap phone in these markets?

Samsung have a variety of phones to suit different budgets and markets.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    It is simply a way to lower the production cost of the 5 for more profit and to continue selling a product apple have dumped without customers realising it.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eyeonu wrote: »

Since when have we used the Euro in this country op?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    crazy crazy pricing

on Three's website (same 500 min & UL data)

iphone 5 16gb £31pm + £29 upfront
    iphone 5c 16gb £37pm + £49 upfront

that's £164 more expensive over the contract.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    It is until you realise some idiots are willing to pay it :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung have a variety of phones to suit different budgets and markets.

Yes, I know.

But I'm asking about the S4. How the heal do Samsung expect to sell the S4 as a cheap phone in these markets?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinkllama wrote: »
    crazy crazy pricing

on Three's website (same 500 min & UL data)

iphone 5 16gb £31pm + £29 upfront
    iphone 5c 16gb £37pm + £49 upfront

that's £164 more expensive over the contract.

Networks always charge a premium for newly released devices. The only problem with this is that it is not a new device although I wonder how many will fail to recognise that.

No doubt the bright colours and the branding will attract a substantial number to upgrade from previous iPhones and there will be many who will buy it for fashion reasons alone. It is probably being targeted at the female market with males being catered for with upgraded specs on the 5S

I expect the 5S will sell but maybe not in the numbers Apple are hoping for in developed markets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Yes, I know.

But I'm asking about the S4. How the heal do Samsung expect to sell the S4 as a cheap phone in these markets?

They don't. That's why they have a variety of different models from Premium to Budget. Is that so difficult to understand :confused: