T-Mobile Full Monty - Really unlimited data?

BWFC0907BWFC0907 Posts: 40
Forum Member
Hi

I'm thinking of moving from O2 to t-mobile when the new iphone is released. Is the full monty really unlimited on watching sky go? I am aware tethering has been stopped.

Is there any benefit in choosing t-mobile over orange with them being part of the same company? Can you tether with orange?

Comments

• Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Yes, handset Internet is unlimited usage.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,393
    Forum Member
    What is the speed cap on Full Monty now? I know there was a bit of a stink when it was first launched and it was capped at snail pace.

I'd be interested in hopping over to EE's other brand if it was fairly decent - able to stream Sky Go/BBC iPlayer (particularly iPlayer radio streams) on the go.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It is 3.8Mbps and tethering is not allowed on this plan.

Three's One Plan is more superior than the full monty at the moment.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Yes completely Unlimited. Over the past two months I have used Nearly 140GB (I got rid of my home broadband lol)

They block p2p though :(

Edit: Am on the first Gen Full Monty (With Tethering)

Looks like they enabled Full HSUPA too.

hwllhh.jpg
  • neilybealyneilybealy Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    danielmeah wrote: »
    Yes completely Unlimited. Over the past two months I have used Nearly 140GB (I got rid of my home broadband lol)

They block p2p though :(

Edit: Am on the first Gen Full Monty (With Tethering)

Looks like they enabled Full HSUPA too.

hwllhh.jpg

most i've ever got on my S3 on t-Mobile is approx 3.8mb yet i've done the same test on my laptop connected to a t-mobile dongle and it reported the speed at 10mb

t-mobile support say my phone is uncapped and 3.8mb is good!
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tested my speed and it's shot up, 8.7 download 2.4 upload, that's more than twice as fast as my home broadband at 3.6.
    Forum Member
    the chimp wrote: »
    Just tested my speed and it's shot up, 8.7 download 2.4 upload, that's more than twice as fast as my home broadband at 3.6.

They removed the cap yesterday.

Paul @ modaco got over 14Mbps!

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/t-mobile-uk-quietly-removes-data-speed-caps-r731
  • BrightSparksBrightSparks Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It is 3.8Mbps and tethering is not allowed on this plan.

Three's One Plan is more superior than the full monty at the moment.

You can add tethering to your plan for an extra fiver pal
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can add tethering to your plan for an extra fiver pal
    Mines included, I've seen other people have used it (on a new contract) since they removed tethering from the full monty though.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    danielmeah wrote: »
    They removed the cap yesterday.

Paul @ modaco got over 14Mbps!

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/t-mobile-uk-quietly-removes-data-speed-caps-r731

His ping is shite though :):D
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is a bit poor but I bet if he did another test it would be back in double figures. I have a 3 mifi and I must say the 3 network is bloody good for data.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add my iphone 5 is spanking gorgeous on T-Mobiles fantastic Full Monty
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats tethering?
  • BrightSparksBrightSparks Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you link your pc/laptop/games console to your phone to use its internet either by a usb cable or wirelessly by turning your phone in to a wireless hotspot pal
    Forum Member

Probably because he did the test from 3g idle.

here's one from a keep-alive connection. (Constant Pinging), It's a real shame orange isnt as fast i can barely get 5 on that :(

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2196791581.png
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded to full monty with truly unlimited data and used a lot of GB of downloads. But tonight I received message telling me I had reached my fair use policy. What's this all about? I didn't have a fair use policy as far as they told me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take them up on the offer if this wasn't such a faff ..

http://www.chitterchatter.co.uk/aff/simonly.php

It's the full monty on a sim only for "only" £15.50 a month, but it's done in a convoluted way of you still pay £21 a month for it, but they pay the £5.50 a month difference in cashback on to a prepay visa card.

If you could do direct debits from a prepay visa, i'd consider it though ..
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to get that torrent app downloaded, then the private file transfer to your private network :D

Now that is what DLNA was made for :D
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On T mobile fully monty here and there's no cap, I usually get 6-7Meg during peak times and early morning i've hit 11Meg before, also downloaded 1.8GB Since the 10th October and I haven't received anything warning me about a fair usage, maybe something to speak to T mob about?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On T mobile fully monty here and there's no cap, I usually get 6-7Meg during peak times and early morning i've hit 11Meg before, also downloaded 1.8GB Since the 10th October and I haven't received anything warning me about a fair usage, maybe something to speak to T mob about?

1.8G is not much at all. However if you download a lot of data there's a change they'll stop it based on the 'impacting other users on the network' clause which is usually in these contracts, or just cause them to cap it and spoil it for everyone if too many people abuse it.

It's nice to have unlimited as it means no shock bills, the problem is people rape it to death and then it gets stopped for everyone. I've seen people do hundreds of gigs, no doubt spoiling the experience for everyone else nearby. I think when it gets to crazy levels and torrenting off mobile broadband they should kick those people off as the contract says you can't torrent I believe, and also if you impact other customers experience then I think you should be shown the door.

Just my personal opinion.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    1.8G is not much at all. However if you download a lot of data there's a change they'll stop it based on the 'impacting other users on the network' clause which is usually in these contracts, or just cause them to cap it and spoil it for everyone if too many people abuse it.

It's nice to have unlimited as it means no shock bills, the problem is people rape it to death and then it gets stopped for everyone. I've seen people do hundreds of gigs, no doubt spoiling the experience for everyone else nearby. I think when it gets to crazy levels and torrenting off mobile broadband they should kick those people off as the contract says you can't torrent I believe, and also if you impact other customers experience then I think you should be shown the door.

You carnt torrent on the full monty anymore :( So i guess its just streaming lol.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/resources/sites/TMOBILE/content/staging/DOCUMENTS/0/DO289/en_GB/3.0/T-Mobile%20Traffic%20Management%20for%20Handset%20July%202012.pdf
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

-snip-

Agreed it isn't that much, not sure what sort of limit you'd have to hit for them to send out the warnings, or if they base it on the type of traffic. The majority of that data is youtube / netflix and downloading apps so nothing that would kill the network, no tethering etc

I think it's good they block torrenting, and agree things like that, which affect the network for other users should be blocked
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly you have to play fair for other customers,100's of gigs a month means you are affecting the service for other people in your area.

Nobody wants networks to enforce caps, but if people abuse it badly then that will be the result.
    Forum Member
    Exactly you have to play fair for other customers,100's of gigs a month means you are affecting the service for other people in your area.

Nobody wants networks to enforce caps, but if people abuse it badly then that will be the result.

Not true,

Networks don't suffer for how much you use, it's how you use ir.

, .
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    I upgraded to full monty with truly unlimited data and used a lot of GB of downloads. But tonight I received message telling me I had reached my fair use policy. What's this all about? I didn't have a fair use policy as far as they told me.

How much exactly didd you use?

Have you contacted T-Mobile, what have they said about it. This is the first time i've heard this on an actual unlimited plan.