Any way to find out what someone was in prison for?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,471
Forum Member
✭✭
I met a guy I used to work next to and was quite good friends with on the bus today after not having seen him for a few years.
The thing is.....I know he was sacked, but two people who worked with him, and who I believe, told me a while after that he was actually in prison. They did not know or would not tell me why though.
When I met him he did say he had been sacked but didn't mention being in prison and I didn't ask about that.
He gave me his mobile number and suggested we keep in touch, but I am wary as I have no idea why he was in prison and I feel like I want to know before I contact him.
Is there a way to find out?

Comments

• wee muckerwee mucker Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Nope! ask him
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he lives within your area, and you know the date of his sentence, check the local press for that date.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you go to the search facility on the local newspaper(s) website(s) and search on his name and appropriate words such as "sentenced" or "guilty".

If that doesn't turn anything up, do the same on Google.

However, if he has a common name this approach could be very hard work :(
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met a guy I used to work next to and was quite good friends with on the bus today after not having seen him for a few years.
    The thing is.....I know he was sacked, but two people who worked with him, and who I believe, told me a while after that he was actually in prison. They did not know or would not tell me why though.
    When I met him he did say he had been sacked but didn't mention being in prison and I didn't ask about that.
    He gave me his mobile number and suggested we keep in touch, but I am wary as I have no idea why he was in prison and I feel like I want to know before I contact him.
    Is there a way to find out?

you can access private info like this as long as you dont live in the country...
    so if you know someone who lives abroad...ask them to check for you.
    its like, we are allowed access to USA sex offenders register.....and vise versa....but you cant get access to your own countries.
    might be worth a try

molly xxx
  • Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can access private info like this as long as you dont live in the country...
    its like, we are allowed access to USA sex offenders register.....and vise versa....but you cant get access to your own countries.
    might be worth a try

molly xxx

Whaaat? Seriously? How weird is that!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US, parents have access to pictures and details of all registered paedophiles. This right is known as "Megan's law", named after seven-year-old Megan Kanka, who was found strangled near her New Jersey home six years ago. Her parents campaigned for the police to notify communities when paedophiles moved in.
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1689261,00.html
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

oh yeah, so they did! i forgot about that law.
    but i do know, that someone living abroad, can gain access to our info like that, im not certain how,or how much...but i knew someone who did it.
    good luck!

molly xxx
  • housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check with the local criminals and see if they recognise his name.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto- Happy Christmas housewife, and behave yourself! -Well just enough to keep out of trouble. ;):)
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    Hint at it with him. Bring up his job, and what's he been doing since he was sacked. Say there was a rumour going about that he was in jail, if he admits, just ask what for

and come back and tell us what happened. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    If it's anything serious or particularly unsavoury, then I would have thought that a simple google.co.uk search on his name/home town would turn up an article or two.

I wouldn't ask him directly... would feel uncomfortable doing that, because you're kind of compelling someone to talk about something that they probably would rather forget. If you're good enough friends I think he'd volunteer the info at some point.
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop a bar of soap on the floor and see if he bends down to pick it up for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might be worth a try

molly xxx

what a load of tripe,
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, is there any answer or update to this??
  • indenialindenial Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    LexisNexis :x
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    what a load of tripe,

Lol, agree. Americans cant see whose on their sex register from America? Megans Law?
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a load of tripe,
    Read the whole thread, this has been sorted out months ago.