ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Ratings Thread experts are expecting Splash to lose a lot of ratings throughout the first episode and next week, such was the bad reception it got from the viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Q What is going wrong?
    A Splash!

OMG! How Poor!
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Ratings Thread experts are expecting Splash to lose a lot of ratings throughout the first episode and next week, such was the bad reception it got from the viewers.

Experts eh? Maybe they should go back to school now the holidays are over? :D
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ratings are in - Splash beat In It To Win It and Britain's Brightest (on average figures).

There was a twenty minute segment where Britain's Brightest was ahead but overall the ITV show had higher ratings than the competition, and the audience increased during the show.

Splash won't win any awards but Britain's Brightest was incredibly dull TV, it was like a daytime quiz show. Neither BBC1 nor ITV can be pleased with the quality of their current Saturday night offerings.
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Experts eh? Maybe they should go back to school now the holidays are over? :D
    A better than expected launch. But you just wait when next weeks rating comes in ;)

No FA cup lead in next week nor the novelty value. It could lose a couple million in a week.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A better than expected launch. But you just wait when next weeks rating comes in ;)

No FA cup lead in next week nor the novelty value. It could lose a couple million in a week.

Charlotte Jackson of Sky Sports is on next week so I'm expecting a large male audience to tune in.

I'm not sure why the FA Cup lead in has anything to do with it - the audience for Splash increased over the course of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you must be really miserable this morning. We know how much you like doom and gloom. I'm sure you will something to focus your negativity on. BTW, FA Cup lead ins have usually depressed the ratings for the next programme because of the post match chat. Love your use of the word " could" - leaves you a get out if it doesn't happen :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Splash did well in the ratings yesterday. We shall see what happens next week...

In other ratings news from yesterday, Take Me Out over 4million proves it shouldnt be shown against scd in the autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash did well in the ratings yesterday. We shall see what happens next week...

In other ratings news from yesterday, Take Me Out over 4million proves it shouldnt be shown against scd in the autumn.

Proves nothing of the sort. It's delivering a very 16-34 focused audience for Itv across Autumn and Winter. It's not all about gross numbers in commercial tv.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Just face it, Splash won the night which isn't what we were expecting. Even if it does take a dip next week, it is still likely to rise when it comes to the final.
    Forum Member
    Itv's important 6 step strategy this fortnight is:

1. Splash launches well
    2. Dancing on Ice revamp is well received by viewers
    3. Mr Selfridge launches good and gets good reviews
    4. Great night out doesnt start terribly
    5. Splash second episode stays above 5m
    6. Mr Selfridge second episode stays within 0.5m of the launch

The first part of their step by step strategy has been accomplished. Five more obstacles to pass this fortnight in order to help turn around the ratings crisis. Current record after 1 obstacle is 100% successful.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What next for an ITV reality show?

How about Celebrity Heart?

No, it's not Blind Date, but celebs battling it out to win a DJ role on Heart FM.

The 'celebs' include Isabella Calthorpe, Linda Lusardi, Sinitta,Tamara Beckwith, Carole Malone, Tina from S Club, Jackie Woodburne (well this is all she'll get for TV work in the UK), Kenzie, Dan Lobb, MC Harvey, Lisa Maffia, Carly Zucker and James Alexandrou.

Actually this would be more suited to Channel 5.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv's important 6 step strategy this fortnight is:

1. Splash launches well
    2. Dancing on Ice revamp is well received by viewers
    3. Mr Selfridge launches good and gets good reviews
    4. Great night out doesnt start terribly
    5. Splash second episode stays above 5m
    6. Mr Selfridge second episode stays within 0.5m of the launch

The first part of their step by step strategy has been accomplished. Five more obstacles to pass this fortnight in order to help turn around the ratings crisis. Current record after 1 obstacle is 100% successful.

Dancing On Ice will do well. Around 8 million viewers will tune in.

Mr. Selfridge will launch with 6.3 million viewers. Ripper Street will have 5.1 million viewers.

Great Night Out will launch with 2.7 million viewers. It's up against Silent Witness.

Splash second episode will drop to 3.8 million viewers. Britains Brightest will go to 5.6 million. Both shows will remain at those points for their run.

Second episode of Mr. Selfridge will drop to 5.4 million and Ripper Street will also steady at around the same level.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Splash will get better once the sharks are added to the pool

It's getting serious now.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TMO had a really beautiful Vietnamese woman on last night. More reason to watch.:D
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ratings crisis for ITV last night.

BBC1 however got 2.75m in the middle of prime time, in January, that is a crisis!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

BBC1 however got 2.75m in the middle of prime time, in January, that is a crisis!

Too right, some of the junk they had on last night makes you want to jump off a cliff.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member

It wasn't the middle of primetime, it was near the beginning being 6:30.

It seems likely, however, that ITV will be in this crisis next week if Splash! drops, but I hope pretty much everything holds up if that is the case (Jonathan Ross, TMO).
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it seems to be more appointment to view tv for the general audience gthan britains brightest which gave my mum a headache and secret service and animal antics not good at all - maybe this is a bbc crisis and defintitely not a itv one.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash will get better once the sharks are added to the pool

It's getting serious now.

Think its the only way they'll get viewers. Out of curiosity I'd thought I'd watch a little having seen the trailers, as I predicted it would be a pile of poo. I wasn't wrong. I lasted all of 5 mins.

It seemed to be a cross between the full Monty (put attractive slim blokes in tiny shorts and get them to dance at the crowd to get the girls sreaming) and an amateur swimming show very much in the context of the type of boring game shows we saw 30 years ago.

What ITV really needs is a must watch drama to keep audiences coming back week on week.
    Forum Member
    Regardless of how Mr Selfridge starts today, it is going to lose a lot of viewers next week. It is way too dull, the critics were all right.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of how Mr Selfridge starts today, it is going to lose a lot of viewers next week. It is way too dull, the critics were all right.

Are you allowed to play the 'i'll drop next week' card twice in one day?

Basically if ITV gets a low rating, it's a crisis, if they get a high rating, then say it will be low next week and hence a crisis :rolleyes:
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its a lot better than the paradise which the viewers liked so they should like this if htey give it a fair chance
    Forum Member
    Are you allowed to play the 'i'll drop next week' card twice in one day?

Basically if ITV gets a low rating, it's a crisis, if they get a high rating, then say it will be low next week and hence a crisis :rolleyes:
    Have a look on twitter, Mr selfridge isnt getting good feedback. Its obvious both Splash and Mr selfridge will lose lots of viewers in the next few weeks.
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    its a lot better than the paradise which the viewers liked so they should like this if htey give it a fair chance
    Most people prefer the Paradise on twitter:
    Vicki Brindle ‏@mrs_scrindle

Mr Selfridge is not a patch on the paradise. Not impressed. 😞
    Expand
    1m HERBERT GOREDEMA HERBERT GOREDEMA ‏@djhiba

Mr Selfridges script is definitely stolen- The Paradise script photocopied.
    Expand
    1m Claire Hill Claire Hill ‏@ClaireLHill_x

Anyone else think the selfridge programme is too much like the paradise??
    Expand
    2m Lesley K Sleath Lesley K Sleath ‏@LesleyKSleath

@teamdonovan_ I'm enjoying Mr Selfridge but enjoyed Paradise too was on a few weeks back with Sarah Lancashire based on a northern store
    View conversation
    2m SpireWeather SpireWeather ‏@SpireWeather

I can't believe how much ITV's Mr Selfridge is a direct crib of the BBC's The Paradise. It's exactly the same!
    from Wiltshire, Wiltshire
    2m Theresa Lowe Theresa Lowe ‏@theresajlowe

I've not watched Mr Selfridge but I have just listened to Shoppers Paradise by #carterusm which I imagine is the same.
    Expand
    3m Beckie Trivett Beckie Trivett ‏@ribbitrivett181

Is Mr Selfridge on ORB not very similar to BBC's The Paradise? Curious...
    Expand
    3m Julia Armfield Julia Armfield ‏@JuliaArmfield

So Mr Selfridge is just The Paradise with adverts and cheaper costumes right?
    Expand
    3m Rosie Astbury Rosie Astbury ‏@Rosieroundface

@SLiNKmagazine I love the paradise on bbc as well! we've got a feature on Mr Selfridge in the new issue of @VintageLifeMag i'm reading :)
    View conversation
    4m Dani Dani ‏@DSpenceley

Why is Mr Selfridge on tv? Exactly the same as the bbc's the Paradise & not yet as good! #theparadise
    Expand
    5m Stephanie Stephanie ‏@StephanieB_98

Miss towler = Denise? Mr Selfridge himself = Mr moray? Mr Selfridge= rubbish version of The Paradise
    Expand
    5m Chelsea Kirkland Chelsea Kirkland ‏@Chelsea_LK_

Is Mr Selfridge going to be just like Paradise and Selfridge gets it on with Miss Towler?
    Expand
    5m shut up meg shut up meg ‏@Beckyall0ver

Mr Selfridge is just itv's version of The Paradise...
    Expand
    6m Ellen Purdue Ellen Purdue ‏@EllenPurdue

Mr Selfridge is such a copy of The Paradise
    Expand
    7m Toni Heath Toni Heath ‏@TheToniHeath

Hate to state the bleedin obvious, but Mr Selfridge is exactly the same as The Paradise, just with Becky rather than Raquel #MrSelfridge
    Expand
    7m Rachael Rodgers Rachael Rodgers ‏@Rachael2283

this Mr Selfridge thing has nothing on the bbc the Paradise.
    Expand
    9m Ross Clarke Ross Clarke ‏@rosswclarke

Mr Selfridge sure beats hell out of The Paradise. Don't you think @StylistMagazine
    Expand
    9m TheInvisibleWoman TheInvisibleWoman ‏@TheVintageYear

@Vivienne17 Marginally. I couldn't watch The Paradise at all. Despite my unswerving loyalty #Selfridges I think this might go the same way.
    View conversation
    9m Tom Nellist Tom Nellist ‏@tcnellist

Quite enjoying Mr Selfridge. Much better than The Paradise so far. Wondering how much is truth though
    Expand
    9m Mark Mark ‏@MarkGaze

What's the difference between Mr Selfridge and The Paradise?
    Expand
    9m Nina Nannar Nina Nannar ‏@NinaNannarITV

Mr Selfridge is SO much better than BBC's Paradise was. Not that I managed much more than a couple of episodes of the latter
    Expand
    10m Emma Dawson Emma Dawson ‏@dawsonemma

@machroi I adore paradise. Mr selfridge does not compare but I'm a sucker for period drama except downtown for some reason!
    View conversation
    11m ♥ Cheryl ♥ ♥ Cheryl ♥ ‏@Chezza_xx

Mr Selfridge looks pretty much identical to The Paradise, just with a far less attractive main character #yawn
    Expand
    11m gill edwards gill edwards ‏@autumnmiss2011

So far mr selfridge not a patch on downton or the paradise but i will give it a fair chance

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash might fall next week, it seems to be one zeleb show too many with CBB and Dancing on Ice in the same weekend.