Top Gear

Comments

• Minor MaggieMinor Maggie Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Started watching the episode last night on iPlayer but it's not avaliable now. Any ideas why?
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    why watch ?

well lets see......how can i tell if its going to be worth watching ...duhhh ...if i dont watch it.:rolleyes:

sometimes its good ...other times its MEH .....alot of the time its tired and predictible.

But hey. why should i have an opinion on the

" Like top gear or eff off thread ".

L8rs Scooby Dudes.:rolleyes:
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why watch ?

well lets see......how can i tell if its going to be worth watching ...duhhh ...if i dont watch it.:rolleyes:

sometimes its good ...other times its MEH .....alot of the time its tired and predictible.:

I'll venture an alternative. You watch it *so* you can get upset by it, so then you have an excuse to come on the Internet and moan, especially in places where you know people who do like show hang out. Or, to use the Internet idiom, 'troll'.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Just like to add my appreciation of Amy McDonald. Was totally amazed at her driving and clearly she really is a "star".

Her track "This is the Life" has real drive too. Have just bought the CD to complete my admiration!
  • scragendscragend Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Its called a TRAIN!

A train that you can take your car on. Which is no different from a ferry that you can take your car on - except that it's quicker.

The point being that there was a quicker way that JC's car could have got to Calais, but they chose not to use it for some reason - presumably to make the finish closer.

I don't get why people seem to think Top Gear is meant to be a factual motoring programme. It's a light entertainment show that features cars.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was because they didn't want the overlap of both teams using a train.

In a previous challenge Clarkson used the train while the other two got the ferry.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Not so in the Veyron race that ended in London as the bus that Hammond and May took for the final leg clearly wasn't a regular London bus running in service as it was a type that no longer featured in London use (it was a step-entrance Volvo Olympian or similar), so it had obviously been hired in for the purpose. They probably thought they'd get away with it given that the race ended in the dark but it showed just how fixed these things really are.

Could have just been a segment done for filming and they didn't film the actual journey on the bus.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,003
    Forum Member
    Started watching the episode last night on iPlayer but it's not avaliable now. Any ideas why?

I was wondering the same - just watched it having recorded it on Virgin Media last night, and as usual it's cropped off the last minute or two... but it's nowhere to be seen on On Demand Catchup or Iplayer... strange. Can't say I noticed any reason they'd ban it from iplayer, no overly sexist/racist etc comments this week?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was because they didn't want the overlap of both teams using a train.

In a previous challenge Clarkson used the train while the other two got the ferry.

Yes, this!

And also so Clarkson could make a point about one of his favourite subjects. Technology going backwards. He clearly expressed his disappointment about the demise of the Hoverspeed service and the fact that the journey was going to take much longer on the Ferry than it had in challenges gone by.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same - just watched it having recorded it on Virgin Media last night, and as usual it's cropped off the last minute or two... but it's nowhere to be seen on On Demand Catchup or Iplayer... strange. Can't say I noticed any reason they'd ban it from iplayer, no overly sexist/racist etc comments this week?

It certainly hasn't been banned for anything. Perhaps it's a Virgin Media specific issue? It's available through iPlayer on Sky, Android, PS3, Xbox360 and iPad.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »

I just checked my PVR. The programme ran for 1 hour 2 minutes which is quite normal for Top Gear and it was all recorded. It sounds as if Virgin Media's On Demand is just using a crude system of recording 20:00 to 21:00 without making use of the modern version of PDC (whatever it is called!).
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly hasn't been banned for anything. Perhaps it's a Virgin Media specific issue? It's available through iPlayer on Sky, Android, PS3, Xbox360 and iPad.

It's available on iPlayer right now - in fact it's showing on the home page under 'Most Popular'.
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why watch ?

sometimes its good ...other times its MEH .....alot of the time its tired and predictible.

Your entitled to your opinion as is everybody is on here after all it is a messageboard.

But it is rather sad if your admitting to watching a programme that you expect not to like just so you can post coments on here.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why watch ?

Every week a random poster keeps asking why this show is still on air.

I think it's from people who don't watch it and just like to troll these threads.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I just checked my PVR. The programme ran for 1 hour 2 minutes which is quite normal for Top Gear and it was all recorded. It sounds as if Virgin Media's On Demand is just using a crude system of recording 20:00 to 21:00 without making use of the modern version of PDC (whatever it is called!).

Programme delivery control ;)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep that will be the TOP Gear demograph at its most eloquant:rolleyes:

if you cant take the criticism then dont done praise and hail that mysoginist, xenophobic, controvertial, attention seeking deliberately INSULTING bigot ....Clarkson then.

if you cant take it dont dish it.

So it's nothing but a personal hate campaign from you and nothing to do with the programme.

Basically you have just come here to create as much disruption as you can as you hate one of the presenters.

How childish. And you say that he is attention seeking. :rolleyes:
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's nothing but a personal hate campaign from you and nothing to do with the programme.

Basically you have just come here to create as much disruption as you can as you hate one of the presenters.

How childish. And you say that he is attention seeking. :rolleyes:

The thread has more criticism from posters than good compared to social networking sites for the Top Gear page which gets very positive words.

They should rename the thread 'Criticism of the new series of Top Gear' or possibly make a new thread for regular viewers only.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are several posters (it would seem) that used to enjoy this show but (generally) don't any more. However, their psyches or simple personalities will not allow them to let go of the show they once enjoyed and move on. Instead, they cling to a belief that a show that has changed intrinsically will still somehow call to their inner petrol soul and let them breathe the higher fumes again.

The problem is that occasionally, for about 10 minutes every 6 episodes, said show does do that. And those aforementioned posters get high on the elevated fumes that the rare item produces. This gives them hope to keep watching so that they might get high again in the not too distant future but unfortunately they are left disappointed more often than not.

Top Gear has changed. Those posters who watch in the hope that it will return to their Halcyon days are kidding themselves. There will be the odd feature that appeals but in the main, it will be entertainment for the masses (how very dare they?!). However, I still expect them to keep watching and complaining whilst still clinging to the occasional feature bleating, "You see! They can still produce! Why is this the exception and not the rule?"

(Obviously, the answer to the above is because the exception is a hell of a lot less popular nowadays than the rule.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series has been pants on the whole so far.

No charge :p
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    It's available on iPlayer right now - in fact it's showing on the home page under 'Most Popular'.
    lundavra wrote: »

The running time on iPlayer is 1 hour 1 minute 10 second, so looks like they had to chop something out.

Very annoying - its unavailability last night completely mucked up my carefully planned TV schedule.

:D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    And a Woman....:eek:....she was very good.
    Just checking one of her tunes on Youtube, and there's an ad before it......for Land Rover.:)

Sadly the one last night was awful.....just felt like I'd seen it all before.

Loved the GT86.....:cool:

I love the GT86 too, so much so that I've got a Subaru BRZ on order, as I like to be different & don't want to be seen in a common as air GT86.:D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why watch ?

As I and one or two others have mentioned, expressing an opinion even if it isn't along the same lines as the OP and/or the majority isn't wrong. I can even get that sometimes if someone watches a programme, they may be entertained one week and not entertained another week, but still watch the show, perhaps in hope that it will get better.

However when they've now watched three episodes in a row and have not just disliked it but have complained bitterly of all three episodes as well as its usual format for all episodes, I'm surprised that they haven't got the gist that perhaps this programme is not for them and is advised to spent that hour on Sunday nights watching or doing something else worthwhile to them. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    As I and one or two others have mentioned, expressing an opinion even if it isn't along the same lines as the OP and/or the majority isn't wrong. I can even get that sometimes if someone watches a programme, they may be entertained one week and not entertained another week, but still watch the show, perhaps in hope that it will get better.

However when they've now watched three episodes in a row and have not just disliked it but have complained bitterly of all three episodes as well as its usual format for all episodes, I'm surprised that they haven't got the gist that perhaps this programme is not for them and is advised to spent that hour on Sunday nights watching or doing something else worthwhile to them. ;)

People can do as they please - it's a free country. How do you think Critics earn a living?
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djvizsla wrote: »
    People can do as they please - it's a free country. How do you think Critics earn a living?
    I understand that - as mentioned, what I don't understand is the point of someone consistently watching something they don't like and moaning about it. I would understand if they were paid to do so though.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I understand that - as mentioned, what I don't understand is the point of someone consistently watching something they don't like and moaning about it. I would understand if they were paid to do so though.

To get a reaction on boards such as this one i.e. trolling.
This discussion has been closed.