The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    also does anyone know the official consolidated ratings for ripper street (the ep on 27th january) - can't seem to find the consolidated ratings anywhere. thanks.

It's on BARB now: 6.47m consolidated watched the 27 January Ripper Street.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a word of warning - I've lost my access so ratings may be tricky to come by this weekend I'm afraid... (I'm UK TV Ratings on Twitter for those who don't know!).
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Excellent for The Big Reunion to increase week-on-week to 1.1m (1.3m inc +1) and to be infront of BBC2, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Its a great show for ITV2 and quite fascinating to watch. The officials will be interesting. Maybe close to 2m with +1.

EE tops the night and Emmerdale posts another underwhelming 8pm rating of just 6.6m. And its massively down on last year now that Corrie has moved back to Wednesdays. As one problem is fixed, another problem arises. I really think the episode needs to be merged but then that would cause an EE clash every week and ideally this is something they don't wanna go back to again. Its a tricky situation for ITV. Not sure what to do with that second Emmerdale for the best because when it was initially introduced by in July 2009 it seemed like a stroke of genius but now its apparent the Corrie episode was supporting it hugely despite the latter struggling somewhat in an awkward 8.30pm slot.
    No it's Not....Show the extra episode on Wednesday at 8:00pm (when they can) and then when they have caught up cancel the 6th episode.....6 episodes is too much to follow.

8.6m peak of EastEnders last night and a decent BBC 3 showing.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Just a word of warning - I've lost my access so ratings may be tricky to come by this weekend I'm afraid...

The free access? How long did you manage to have it for?
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    The free access? How long did you manage to have it for?

Lost it last week, managed to get more access but that's now ended now.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chase is really starting to struggle, relatively speaking, opposite Pointless now. Has Pointless' lead in improved or something?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 have won the rights to the 2014 Winter and 2016 Summer Paralympics, pledging 45 hours of the former and 500 of the latter (200 of which will be on C4 and it's other stations).

http://www.paralympic.org/press-release/channel-4-secures-2014-and-2016-paralympic-games-rights
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The Chase is really starting to struggle, relatively speaking, opposite Pointless now. Has Pointless' lead in improved or something?

Struggle? Really? I just think it peaked over Xmas and has now hit its base. People on here will be calling for the axe next...:p
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    Struggle? Really? I just think it peaked over Xmas and has now hit its base. People on here will be calling for the axe next...:p

It actually peaked a few weeks ago on one of the snow days - an episode got 4.3m.

The Chase is just going to hover around 3m unless they can pull out something that'll boost it's ratings - more primetime editions maybe.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It actually peaked a few weeks ago on one of the snow days - an episode got 4.3m.

The Chase is just going to hover around 3m unless they can pull out something that'll boost it's ratings - more primetime editions maybe.

Ah yeah I forgot about the snow boost. 4.3m is huge at 5pm.
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a place to view a full list of the overnights?

I'm interested in the slot average on Channel 5 for 11pm on week nights
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    just asking to see if anyone knows the consolidated ratings for mr selfridge (the 4th episode on 27th january)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hence relatively speaking. ;) In comparison to Pointless it has seen a bit of a decline and not just from the snow days. Not much of one at the moment but I hope ITV give it a rest soon to keep it reasonably fresh, otherwise it'll go the same way as The Weakest Link and Deal or No Deal.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    "Struggle" is a baffling word to use when describing a show clearing the 3 million mark at 5pm every weekday. Sure, Pointless has regained the teatime crown as expected but with BBC1 so far in front of ITV in terms of audience share now, you wouldn't expect an ITV daily to be beating a BBC daily from the same genre in a head-to-head, especially when you factor in the effect of the commercials and also BBC News at Six viewers tuning in early. Even if The Chase is the better show of the two and of course that's open to debate anyway, those two factors are always going to make it difficult for them to win these kind of battles in the long-term. ITV and its flag wavers will have to make do without the bragging rights, and content themselves with the fact it's still a really big show for that timeslot.

The timing of The Chase's slight dip is unfortunate though, not long after they announced that massive order including a ton of celeb specials it didn't really need. They'd be most unwise to go too overboard from here as gameshows have a limited shelf life, and that can be exacerbated through overexposure. Look no further than Million Pound Drop and Deal or No Deal on C4 for examples of that. But if they're sensible with it, then it's still going to be a big hit 3-4 years from now I think, maybe more. If on the other hand they go down the C4 route, it'll be showing signs of age within about half that time.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Do No Harm after 2 episodes has been cancelled by NBC.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Just a word of warning - I've lost my access so ratings may be tricky to come by this weekend I'm afraid... (I'm UK TV Ratings on Twitter for those who don't know!).

I think I'm following you if not will do.
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    just asking to see if anyone knows the consolidated ratings for mr selfridge (the 4th episode on 27th january) plus if possible the breakdown for last week's episode. thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just asking to see if anyone knows the consolidated ratings for mr selfridge (the 4th episode on 27th january) plus if possible the breakdown for last week's episode. thanks

There was an issue with ITV's data log for w/c 21st January so I don't think Mr. Selfridge's official has been released yet. It will probably be released next Monday. :)
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    These are great rzt do you have the demos for Graham Norton by any chance? Thanks :)
    The demos for last Friday's episode of The Graham Norton Show were: http://oi47.tinypic.com/talmbp.jpg
    BARB didn't publish the consolidated rating for episode four, their website will end up posting it in about six weeks' time. So until then I don't think we'll find out an exact rating. But based on the 8.5m (inc +1) consolidated average the first four episodes have reportedly had so far, you can estimate that episode four had a consolidated audience of c7.1-7.3m exc +1 (c7.8-8.0m inc +1).

Last week's episode had the following breakdown:

2100- 5.83
    2105- 5.79
    2110- 5.20
    2115- 5.80
    2120- 5.79
    2125- 5.48
    2130- 5.33
    2135- 5.67
    2140- 5.08
    2145- 5.62
    2150- 5.74
    2155- 5.75
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Universal dislike for Mark Wahlberg on The Graham Norton Show tonight. Be intersting to see the AI figure to see if he creeps down towards Daybreak territory. And a breakdown of the ratings to see if there was a lot of going to bed early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    "Struggle" is a baffling word to use when describing a show clearing the 3 million mark at 5pm every weekday. Sure, Pointless has regained the teatime crown as expected but with BBC1 so far in front of ITV in terms of audience share now, you wouldn't expect an ITV daily to be beating a BBC daily from the same genre in a head-to-head, especially when you factor in the effect of the commercials and also BBC News at Six viewers tuning in early. Even if The Chase is the better show of the two and of course that's open to debate anyway, those two factors are always going to make it difficult for them to win these kind of battles in the long-term. ITV and its flag wavers will have to make do without the bragging rights, and content themselves with the fact it's still a really big show for that timeslot.

Fair point, 'struggle' was a bad choice of word. :o It does prove BBC One and ITV can both attract an audience if they put their mind to it and, of course, it's not the only slot where they have competed in the past few weeks. But there is a definite dip and, as you say...
    Dancc wrote: »
    The timing of The Chase's slight dip is unfortunate though, not long after they announced that massive order including a ton of celeb specials it didn't really need. They'd be most unwise to go too overboard from here as gameshows have a limited shelf life, and that can be exacerbated through overexposure. Look no further than Million Pound Drop and Deal or No Deal on C4 for examples of that. But if they're sensible with it, then it's still going to be a big hit 3-4 years from now I think, maybe more. If on the other hand they go down the C4 route, it'll be showing signs of age within about half that time.

I agree; for me, two 13 week runs a year should suffice - one between October and December and maybe one between April and June, though I'd understand if they combined them in one 26 week run between October and March.

EDIT: Saying this, I wouldn't be totally surprised if The Chase sees an uplift next week. I'm now sure if I'm imagining things but it feels as though it, in particular, seems to dip and rise week-to-week, as though people watch a week, then give it a weeks rest (maybe watch Pointless instead) then switch back to The Chase again. I could be going mad but we'll see on Monday!
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do No Harm after 2 episodes has been cancelled by NBC.
    The most surprising part of that news is that it made it as far as episode 2. SVU repeats slotted into the Thursday 10PM slot for the next couple of weeks. Thursday night has just lurched from one disaster to another for NBC the last couple of years. They need a serious relaunch of the Thursday line-up next season. I would assume that Hannibal will take over the Thursday 10PM slot in March/April (with the aid of Voice promotion) but maybe they'll just give up and put Rock Center back there.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    USA are still doing okay but I think they need to broaden their slate and do shows that don't have quirky characters...
    Disagree. If anything the problem is that more and more they've ditched the 'quirky character' and are now just churning out a series of fairly bland procedurals. Although I hate the quirky character tag. I prefer distinctive characters. In truth the best thing USA can do right now is follow the instinct they had with Political Animals and try to move away from the procedurals. The injection of comedies into the schedule should help break things up a little though.
    C14E wrote: »
    In season it still seems to be unscripted that's working for cable with the occasional, sometimes very notable, exception like The Walking Dead.
    Its not just in season where that's the case. You can count the big drama hits on cable on one hand but there's a never ending stream of unscripted hits. Far too many of them have war in the title...
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    Speaking of Ben & Kate and Up All Night, has anybody seen the ratings from this Monday night?

I commented on how bad last weeks figures were (144k and 90k respectively), and speculated as to how long they could stay in their present timeslots with those numbers, just wondering if they'd fell any further.
    I wonder if ITV2 is banking on some kind of pick-up for the comedy block now that Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys have ended on BBC1? Why on earth they schedule their first comedy block opposite those I still cannot even begin to work out. Having said that its probably worth just throwing in the towel both Ben & Kate and Up All Night at this point. Fox has cancelled Ben & Kate and Christina Applegate has just announced that she's leaving Up All Night and won't be part of the reformatted multi-cam episodes. The irony there being that part of the reason NBC gave for switching to multi-cam was that they wanted to keep the brilliant cast they'd assembled.

There's now talk that NBC might approach Lisa Kudrow to take over the role. At this point I can't help but think it might just be worth NBC giving the show a new name and relaunching it completely next season.
    paltonz wrote: »
    Oh, forgot to mention, Elementary received a 2.3/11.02m. So much for that post-Superbowl "push". CBS really bought it upon themselves for this one really. Won't be surprised to see this one ending after May.
    Shows very rarely get a post-Super Bowl bump. I don't know why every year people expect the show that got the Super Bowl lead-in to have a giant jump in its audience for the next episode. The last time that really happened was with Grey's Anatomy and that was already showing signs of growth and they were smart enough to end on a pretty big cliffhanger if memory serves. At this stage there's basically no chance CBS don't renew Elementary. Whether it stays in this Thursday night slot is another issue entirely.
    C14E wrote: »
    I wonder if ABC are testing out Shark Tank in that 8pm hour with a view to a permanent move? A 1.3 for a repeat isn't bad - better than a lot of original scripted has done for them there since Ugly Betty was at its peak.
    I think I mentioned last week that I can see Shark Tank / SHIELD / Scandal being ABC's Thursday night line-up next season. Regardless of whether SHIELD does ultimately replace Grey's next year I can certainly see Shark Tank moving into the Thursday 8PM slot. Nothing is working for them there and its not through a lack of trying. They've put a lot of different shows in that slot and all of them have died very painful deaths.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    CBS shouldve put Person of interest in rthe post Super bowl slot. Elementary did bad yesterday even with ll the exposure it got. POI wouldve got a boost and that better lead-in wouldve boosted Elementary anyway.
    There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Person of Interest would have gotten any kind of sustained boost had it aired out of the Super Bowl. On the whole shows just don't do that. Having said that I still can't quite work out what CBS was shooting for when they put Elementary after the Super Bowl. It doesn't really make sense on any level at all.
    paltonz wrote: »
    I still think Scandal will remain at 10pm slot because I read a comment on the site that if Scandal was pushed to 9pm, the amount of violence and sex would need to be toned down.
    I can see no reason why Scandal's content would have to be altered if it aired at 9PM. The sexual content is no more explicit than anything The Good Wife has done since moving to 9PM (and on a Sunday to boot) and the violence isn't even close to the league you can see in the likes of The Following or Criminal Minds or any other number of shows in the 9PM slot. I would hope that the reason it won't move is because its working where it is. ABC made the insanity laced decision to move Revenge from Wednesday 10PM this season and its gone horribly wrong so you'd hope they'd just let Scandal stay where it is. Its one of the few shows ABC shouldn't be considering moving to another night...
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Its not just in season where that's the case. You can count the big drama hits on cable on one hand but there's a never ending stream of unscripted hits. Far too many of them have war in the title...

I've mentioned before that there isn't any "new" ratings hits, unless you count Revolution and (thus far) The Following. The only shows exploding in ratings are The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory.

However it seems the big networks are trying out pilots that would be suited on cable. I recall reading on another forum somebody saying a sentence (I paraphrase) "you put up cable shows, you get cable ratings". Except for The Walking Dead of course.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However it seems the big networks are trying out pilots that would be suited on cable. I recall reading on another forum somebody saying a sentence (I paraphrase) "you put up cable shows, you get cable ratings". Except for The Walking Dead of course.

The Walking Dead is a show which just seem to have exploded in terms of viewership, its weird that considering its had its share of behind of scenes problem and that its not exactly critical acclaimed compared to Mad Men or Breaking Bad, its become not only AMC's biggest hit but cable's biggest success story, I remember when they announced it, I thought it would be a hit for AMC but more in the 3m range, I never expected it to get 5m for its first episode,
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    I wonder if dance for comic relief also delayed the beebs decision to screen the voice a bit earlier before bgt this year? The programme has been airing in that slot for some time but surely its time for a rest or just a one off programme. I dont think ratings will be all that high for it this time round as they have kinda exhausted the joke. However unless itv have some competition lined up its gonna be another easy win as we seen splash keeping afloat in the ratings without any serious challenges. Bgt and strictly are the only real monsters of saturday night any more. Cant really think of other programmes that do brilliantly and excell on that evening. Even doctor who is no longer a given ratings missile. Sundays is the evening you want your programme to go out now as it seems to produce better overnights than saturday. Wish they would move doctor who to a fixed slot on sundays. It would see a bounce in its overnights and crush the competition.
This discussion has been closed.