Out of Tune Singers

widgerwidger Posts: 722
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just listening to "Zoom" by Fat Larry's Band and became aware that the singer is a bit wayward with his pitch when singing this song, yet it still reached number 1.

Another song where pitching is a slightly off is "The Only Way is Up" by Yazz and this also went to number 1.

Do you have any other favourite songs where the singer is not quite in tune and do you prefer this to the auto-tuned, over produced vocals on tracks today?

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Say Hello, Wave Goodbye by Soft Cell springs immediately to mind...particularly the last section. #painful
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stone Roses did remarkably well considering how infamously dodgy Ian Brown's vocals are.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James - Born of Frustration, particularly in the verses.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't You Want Me? by The Human League.

The female verse is out of tune. I remember seeing them interviewed probably about 10 years ago or more or the female who sings that part did admit herself it was out of tune and she wishes she had sung it differently
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I confess I found this opinion on another site but the vocals on Red Hot Chili Peppers songs are often a little wayward, pitch-wise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV8IAOojoAA
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Two words: Nick Cave.

Im not a massive fan so im basing this opinion mainly on the duet with Kylie. Its a great song, but good Lord...
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always found Estelle to be out of tune, especially on American Boy

She's a great rapper but a poor vocalist, but has abandoned rapping now.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine autotuning Biz Markie.. :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    widger wrote: »
    I was just listening to "Zoom" by Fat Larry's Band and became aware that the singer is a bit wayward with his pitch when singing this song, yet it still reached number 1.

Another song where pitching is a slightly off is "The Only Way is Up" by Yazz and this also went to number 1.

Do you have any other favourite songs where the singer is not quite in tune and do you prefer this to the auto-tuned, over produced vocals on tracks today?

Call me old school but I prefer songs sung in tune in the first place and NO autotuning, melodyning or anything else other than reverb and perhaps an occasional touch of double-tracking, though making it a duet with a suitably harmonious partner would be better IMO. Real instruments too (if only!) and no singing to prerecorded backing tracks!

Then, we'd know who can actually sing properly and who's there (and on recordings) just because they look good on TV. Rarely though, a slightly off-pitch song or part of it can sound quirkily interesting - usually by accident not design though!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral Milk Hotel-Two Headed Boy I don't think this went no.1 but...well it should have!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great group but I remember Sarah Cracknell from St Etienne being hopelessly out of tune many a time on their records
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Say Hello, Wave Goodbye by Soft Cell springs immediately to mind...particularly the last section. #painful

Great single, whatever.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certs Matthews from Catatonia had an interesting voice....
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »

I think it's actually a great emotional 'performance' in keeping with the sentiments of the song. The synth sound has a slightly off tone sound about it as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Call me old school but I prefer songs sung in tune in the first place and NO autotuning, melodyning or anything else other than reverb and perhaps an occasional touch of double-tracking, though making it a duet with a suitably harmonious partner would be better IMO. Real instruments too (if only!) and no singing to prerecorded backing tracks!

Then, we'd know who can actually sing properly and who's there (and on recordings) just because they look good on TV. Rarely though, a slightly off-pitch song or part of it can sound quirkily interesting - usually by accident not design though!

You may want to listen to PiL's 'Metal Box' and see wnat's possible.
    It's not how you sing, it's what you express.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

It's also not just about the voice but the music that is being played as well.

Some people seem to think that a decent voice automatically makes a song good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also not just about the voice but the music that is being played as well.

Some people seem to think that a decent voice automatically makes a song good!

It's also about what is being expressed and how it is being expressed. What the words are about, what story, what poetic images do they create. You don't have to be a great singer to do that.

I'm quite disappointed at what is often called 'alternative' music because content wise (and even form wise) it isn't very alternative.

PiL were commenting on how music is constructed, Lydon was taking a swipe at writers, at the politics of the industry and the hypocrisy of some pop stars. It isn't a comfortable listen and it wasn't meant to be. 'Metal Box' is a complete artistic statement which has not been emulated often since.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    out of tune ? in what context?

on record or live?
    if on record is this deliberate - as sometime experimentation with tone, pitch and timing can be wonderfully artistic and creative, surely?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Siouxsie Sioux was notorious for singing flat, but the trick was to do it consistently :D

I have like to have seen anybody dare to tell her she needed auto-tuning :D
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's actually a great emotional 'performance' in keeping with the sentiments of the song. The synth sound has a slightly off tone sound about it as well.

He's all over the place here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEOgfq3CNc

...but it's still absolutely fabulous.
  • theseguemanthesegueman Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    widger wrote: »

I don't really like it if a singer, or a song part - is out of tune. It would be better to use a bit of autotune (or re-release it in tune), but don't use a lot of autotune. Too much can also be bad.

I do know about the Yazz song, as well as Human League (Dont You Want Me). In fact I was listening to the latter song a few days ago and the 2nd verse is in a much different pitch to the rest of the song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    He's all over the place here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEOgfq3CNc

...but it's still absolutely fabulous.

Absolutely, maybe it's just an X Factor generation thing?
  • metal boxmetal box Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazing album! (hence my name) Not the 'easiest' to listen to at times, but still amazing none the less.

Also a huge fan of 'say hello wave goodbye' - especially the TOTP performance. His voice completely makes it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    metal box wrote: »
    Amazing album! (hence my name) Not the 'easiest' to listen to at times, but still amazing none the less.

Also a huge fan of 'say hello wave goodbye' - especially the TOTP performance. His voice completely makes it for me.

There's real emotion in those records.

I see the name. :) I'm not sure the conditions exist any longer in which such an inventive work as 'Metal Box' could reach the audience it did in the 80s?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence & the Machine