S7 is the weakest yet.

CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No I'm not saying this to sound clever, or to troll etc, this is simply my opinion, someone had to say this, I will continue to watch faithfully, but for me this series has been godawful. Perhaps they should go back to a full arc or two parters, certainly the filler episodes aren't doing anything for me.

1. The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe (This counts as S7 apparently)

Awful Xmas special, but not as bad as The Next Doctor and The Runaway Bride, not even Bill Bailey could save this ep, he was underutilised.

4/10

2. Asylum of the Daleks

Now this is one of the worst things about this series, it was such a bright start to the series, which got people's hopes up the rest of the series would follow suit. Probably the best episode of the series.

9/10

3. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

I couldn't for the life of me remember this episode when thinking back to what the episodes of S7 were, this episode was poor and kiddy friendly for the most part (Obviously Dinosaurs being murdered wasn't) Again a waste of a cameo from Mitchell and Webb, they tried too hard to make them funny.

4.5/10

4. A Town Called Mercy

This episode was boring for the most part, it was an interesting concept as it was different, don't get me wrong, it perhaps should have been linked to the previous episode and made a two parter.

6/10

5. The Power of Three

The best episode since the Dalek opener, but the problem with this episode was not much happened in it, again this felt too much like filler to enjoy it fully.

6.5/10

6. The Angels Take Manhattan

On first viewing, I really loved this, maybe because I was tipsy (True story) Since watching it sober, I didn't enjoy it as much, I liked the idea of a Statue of Liberty Weeping Angel, but that was part of the problem with this episode, plotholes aplenty, and the ending was too OTT emotional for it's own good.

6/10

7. The Snowmen

A good episode, let down by little Richard E. Grant in it (I thought this would be rectified by his appearance in the next episode but it seems not)

8/10

8. The Bells of St. John

Here we are, the start of S8, sorry, I mean the start of 7.5, and again a good episode with hope of things to come, sadly not. Also let down by that antigrav bike stupidity, still, it's no flying bus, that was far worse.

7.5/10

9. The Rings of Akhaten

Simply put

*singsong* This ep was simply rubbish, what was I even watching?" *end singsong*

And why wasn't the barking bike selling alien speaking English like the rest of the aliens?

1/10

10. Cold War

I found this episode ok, it was let down by the ending

7/10

11. Hide

Hide, as in Hide when you see Neil Cross has written the episode of Doctor Who you're about to watch

2/10

Feel free to ask me anything about this thread, and i'll answer as soon as

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Personally, I feel S2 is the worst by a long way.

The Rings of Akhaten is probably one of the worst episodes I have ever seen :(
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    A bit generous with a town called mercy. Dinosaurs on a plane wasnt bad though, a fun romp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I concur with your feelings. Never rate any series myself until it's over but even if the last four episodes of seven are utter bilge, which they won't be, it won't come anywhere near the depths of that one. As close as I'll ever get to giving up on the show but the last few years in particular have made me very glad I didn't.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    What sort of discussion are you expecting? Lots of posts with everyone agreeing with you? Lots of posts with everyone disagreeing with you?

If you're wanting a genuine discussion about the content of the series, you might be better not starting it with a title that you acknowledge is provocative. This might end up as an 'I agree, it's rubbish', 'shut up it's brilliant' thread.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ben that Series 2 is the worst series of New Who by a long way.

Series 7 is certainly not the best, but it's nowhere near as bad as many on this forum are making it out to be (imo).

I'm baffled that the OP has only given "Hide" a 2/10 score, as I'd give it 11/10 if it were possible, because for me it's one of the best episodes ever, but each to his or her own.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Why didn't you post this in any of these threads?...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1725660
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1819752
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1818681

Or any other thread which suited your need? Creating a thread does not justify your opinion or add anything to a discussion which has already occurred several times recently.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Plus the antigrav bike would have made Jon Pertwee proud :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »

someone had to say this,

Feel free to ask me anything about this thread, and i'll answer as soon as

OK, I have to ask, why did "someone" have to say this? It's been said already, all over the forum. :confused:

EDIT As illustrated by davros above. :)

'shut up it's brilliant' .

I'll go for that option, if I may.
  • MissSylviaMissSylvia Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Why didn't you post this in any of these threads?...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1725660
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1819752
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1818681

Or any other thread which suited your need? Creating a thread does not justify your opinion or add anything to a discussion which has already occurred several times recently.

Adversely why dnt YOU post in an existing thread? Or are people only allowed their own thread when their opinion is a positive one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I loved series 2. I'm enjoying this series. Series 6 is the worst series imo
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S7 is awesome.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Series 7 is the best SM series by a country mile (really didn't enjoy 5 and 6 at all), mainly down to the introduction of Clara, who is a massive improvement on Amy (not difficult IMO).

In terms of RTD's tenure Series 2 is probably my least favourite, although even then it contained some excellent stories like Tooth and Claw, School Reunion, The Girl In The Fireplace, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Doomsday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    S7 is awesome.

Preach ;) I agree...whole 2 heartedly...

It's NEVER going to please all the people all of the time, we just accept that. Doctor Who is completely satisfactory for me at the moment, and no doubt will continue a successful run.

Every Season/Series has it's doubters, nay-sayers, enthusiasts, lobbyists...it's what makes us all so passionate.

I loved Rings of Akhaten actually, but that's my own opinion, and forever it shall remain just so.

2 more sleeps til "Journey" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me this series so far is the second best after 5 and up to par with 4. I agree with several others that series 2 was the worst so far IMO, but I'm sure there is lots of people who love it. This seems just as an another thread were someone is trying to state their opinion as a fact, especially with the 'someone had to say it' part.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Plus the antigrav bike would have made Jon Pertwee proud :)

Gosh yes! He'd have had a whole episode riding around on it.

Did someone say Dinosaurs was a fun romp? It did have some of that. But I thought it was one of the more sombre and sad episodes. People complain about a lack of actual threat, or as with Hide a monster which turns out to be not so bad. But the Broadchurch Newsagent was one of the most chilling and cruel villains ever. Totally unpleasant. I'm against the death penalty myself but I would certainly have sent him to bed without tea at the very least.
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It feels a bit fractured, I kind of forget 7A is still a part of the series.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the boxset so I can watch them all together. But apart from Power of Three and Rings of Akhaten, I've loved this series.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    For me this series so far is the second best after 5 and up to par with 4. I agree with several others that series 2 was the worst so far IMO, but I'm sure there is lots of people who love it. This seems just as an another thread were someone is trying to state their opinion as a fact, especially with the 'someone had to say it' part.

I didn't read it that way. They gave proper reasons for their opinions and invited discussion.

I can't remember series two very much. Idiots Lantern and Love and Monsters were pretty good - favourites of mine. And the Satan Pit two parter. And the Cybermen two parter was excellent. Lots to like about it. From distant memory. But not the best overall series.

Series Seven is excellent so far.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissSylvia wrote: »
    Adversely why dnt YOU post in an existing thread? Or are people only allowed their own thread when their opinion is a positive one

You will note if you peruse the forum at length that the whole 'My opinion deserves its own special thread' thing is a strange malady which seems to effect only those who do not like the show/episode.

Most of those who enjoy or love it seem quite content to stick to posting that opinion in the relevant episode threads or discussion without the need to be the centre of attention.

Of course the irony is that so many of these 'I just have to tell the 'truth' about how bad S7 is' threads have popped up recently that rather than being daring or controversial it is almost becoming a bit of a stuck record. Hence peoples well mannered irritation with it all.

Perhaps.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved 7A. Asylum, Mercy, Manhattan especially. 7B just isn't working for me so far, but hopefully it picks up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Why don't people seem to like S7. I think it's been a good solid series so far, both with Amy and Clara.

I have to agree with alot of people on here though, for me, S2 is definitely the weakest.

S1, 4 and 6 have been my favourites so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member

This is what worries me about the 50th, I liked David Tennant as the Doctor, but I thought Series 2 was the worst one. Hopefully it was the Doc10/Rose combination that let it down.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Another poorly written thread giving very little reasons and pretty much just displaying the usual tired "I've outgrown the show" routine most pessimists every year make.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Another poorly written thread giving very little reasons and pretty much just displaying the usual tired "I've outgrown the show" routine most pessimists every year make.

Another poster being unreasonably hostile just because somebody happens to not be enjoying the show at the moment.

So, if somebody doesn't like something about the show, they're a pessimist? Really? :confused:
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed all the episodes in Series 7, but I really miss the story arcs and two-parters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 7 is excellent - the problem for me is the splitting which is screwing with the way people remember what has gone on before...I;d forgotten Rory and Amy left half way through series 7.

I'm not bothered that they aren;t doing story arc/two parters.

I do LOVE story arcs and loved the way they were done by Moffat but I'm enjoying the stand alone ones at the moment - Cold War and Hide especially - they have a subtle old style feeling about them.