Kindle. Has anybody got one?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am thinking of investing. Ok you can't beat the smell and tactile feel of a new book but I read alot on the move and would love a selection of books with me. I'd never waste my money on an iPad as they are just a toy. I have an iPod Touch which I use mostly for music, some mobile gaming and Internet research (and complaining on Digi spy hahaha) So why would I want a bigger, more expensive version of what I already have?

A kindle would be a useful piece of kit as I am always buried in a book. Not just pleasure but also study for work and education. So would any of you guys recommend A Kindle? Is it worth paying the extra for a touch version?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Ipads are brilliant and more than just a toy. I have Kindle on my Ipad.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kindle is great and well worth the investment. I wouldn't bother with the touch version as it offers no real advantage. Infact many reviews say they prefer the non-touch version.

The iPad is also great (I'm typing this post on one) and far more than a toy... But for reading books the kindle wins hands down due to its lightness, great battery life and eyestrain free eink screen.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use an iPad and would definately say its more than just a toy. I browse the web and email on mine, read books on it using iBooks, listen to music on it, watch Sky Go and BBC iPlayer/ITV Player on it, play games on it now and again, social network on it. In fact mine is never off and I love reading on it. I like the smell and physical feel of a book but there's no clutter around the house now
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kindle is in my view ideal for travelling around, either daily or on holiday.

Some people complain about the cost of books - this is partly because VAT is charged on e-books. The rate is 20% in the UK, but only 3% in Luxembourg, where Amazon books are sourced.

So far I have not paid for any books at all as there are hundreds of free books available everyday. These are either from new authors or from established writers who offer a book free for a day or two. There are as well thousands of books out of copyright (70 years from death of author) if you like old books.

I have not heard of many people who regret buying a Kindle - most people on the Forum find that they read more than before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I think I shall buy a Kindle. I believe I could get one for about £70. As far as the iPad is concerned I can understand why you guys like it but for me it is over priced (you can get a decent laptop for the price of an iPad) not powerful enough, not open source, not good for gaming and just not what I want. Would I use it for gaming? no. I'd use my xbox or PC. Would I use it to watch movies? no I want to watch movies on big screen. Internet? I don't browse I just use the Internet when I need to. So my iPod is good enough. Yes I would read books on it but it's a bit pricey for that.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the 3G keyboard version. I reckon it's worth the extra few quid and it's still cheaper than an iSlab.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kindle is great, so easy to use and download straight from amazon and so easy to put your pdf books on too. Its light and all your books are in the one place which fits in your hand, its especially good if you have arthritis, so much easier on the wrists :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I have a Kindle and a touchpad. The Kindle is amazing for reading books. Do not bother with too many of the other bits and pieces on it. In particular the e-ink the Kindle uses is superb, I can read for an evening on the Kindle, no problem but on a tablet or PC monitor my eyes would tire. Buying books is very easy, one-click makes it almost too easy, I have 20 books I have bought over the months in sales or on their Daily Deal, all for about £1 each, I just need time to read them !!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For reading e-Ink device such as Kindle is the best. A general purpose tablet used as an e-reader is far from optimal and it's a distraction, too :D I have a 3G keyboard Kindle, 3G is convenient, but not essential. A keyboard or a touchscreen is good to have if you intend to purchase books from the device, some typing is necessary and it might be annoying doing it with left,right,top,bottom,enter buttons... I think e-reader is great thing to have if you travel a lot and you want to read books without a need to drag a part of your library with you. It does not need to be a replacement of paper books. I was skeptical about e-readers at first, but the thing is, I read more now, simply because I can use moments I could not before.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love my kindle. i can use it anywhere, its easy to use and if im stuck in a dentist waiting room its there in my bag ready for me. i love browsing kindle books. i can read reviews etc before i buy. ive got lots of free books but im happy to pay for a book i really want. i still like "real" books and if i want something by bill bryson or john steinbeck, i want the real book. ive got the best of both worlds now and i love it. :)
  • ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got mine a few years ago for Christmas. At first I was totally sceptical as I love real books but now I really love it.
    I still read normal books about 50% of the time (depending on what I'm reading) but I love my Kindle especially for holidays.
    I have also read books from some totally different authors and on subjects I wasn't sure i'd like. On Amazon a lot of new and self published authors put their first book up free so it costs nothing but time to give it a go.
    I have found some really enjoyable series this way (mainly Fantasy stuff)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shomofo wrote: »
    I got mine a few years ago for Christmas. At first I was totally sceptical as I love real books but now I really love it.
    I still read normal books about 50% of the time (depending on what I'm reading) but I love my Kindle especially for holidays.
    I have also read books from some totally different authors and on subjects I wasn't sure i'd like. On Amazon a lot of new and self published authors put their first book up free so it costs nothing but time to give it a go.
    I have found some really enjoyable series this way (mainly Fantasy stuff)

Me too- the first couple of weeks it was a bit weird, and I was kinda thinking "this was probably a bit of a waste of money, no way am I ever going to get used to this to the point where it's a valid alternative"- now I wouldn't be without it.

(That said, I'm on my third- I broke one- entirely my fault, tripped over the cable and sent it crashing to the floor- then last week the replacement got stolen and had to be replaced again... guess that means I love it, really, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered...)

I do recommend getting a cover, though- partly because you get less defensive about the thing getting knackered, and therefore more likely to actually take it out with you, but mostly because it "feels" better- I can't really explain this very well, because it's still very different to a book, but it just makes it easier to forget it's a weird new piece of technology. Once you get over the novelty value, you're really just thinking about the words on the page, and that's when the reservations drop away and it essentially becomes an awesome portable library.

Great for reading in bed, too, because you don't have to hold it open, so it's easier to get comfy.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree about the cover. I have the leather one with a light in the corner. Because the cover folds it feels more like a real book and the light means I can read in bed without putting the light on and disturbing my hubby, or in the car at night... So long as he is driving and not me!
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my Kindle about three years, have photo's and music on it (has its own email address)
    Also have the Amazon lighted cover which was worth every penny .. (in pink)
    Had no problems and like the way all my books are stored on Amazons site, even if I lost my Kindle :eek: at least would still have all my books :D
    Bought both my husband & Son the smaller one at Xmas both over the moon with them.
    Quite fancy getting a skin for it, but can't make my mind up which one :confused:

Not to mention all the *free samples* like to try before I buy :)

Love it ... :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've had a Kindle for quite a while and I love it. I can get the first couple of chapters of a book to try before I buy. I still buy paper books too.

I've also got an ipad which I also love. I wouldn't say it was a toy though. I understand that you would want a larger screen to play games on though.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine's in a corner of my bedroom next to my iPod gathering dust.
  • mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Sony eReader, in preference to a Kindle, and love it. Would recommend that, or a Nook when they're available over here, over a Kindle any day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Love my kindle. I have the basic one with wifi. I take it everywhere with me and it is oh so tempting to just download a book instantly. I have a leather cover which is handy and recently got a TARDIS skin cover for it.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this post is on my kindle using free 3G. the online browsing is so horribly addictive that i little time left for the books on it .....

reading a kindle stored pdf is a bit awkward. if text based - ie not just photographic scan - then works best if converted to mobi using calibre. but i do have pdfs on my kindl if theyre mixed text and pictures ......

text to speech is nice. i go to sleep with light out and kindle talking to me ..... also use that in the bath with kindle on nearby shelf .....
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its the free web browsing / e reader/ amazon books combo that makes kndle attractive. otherwise u might as well just buy the cheapest ereader
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may get Ipad and Kindle in a few years time when I can afford it.:o
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got mine a few months ago, and it has become one of my most treasured belongings. I absolutely love it, it's so convenient. The only drawback is that I sometimes forget the title of what I'm reading, as I don't have the visual stimulus of the actual book to remind me, even when I'm not thinking about it. PLus the free books you can get are pretty good. I think I've saved more money by not buying books in the last couple of months to pay for the kindle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant to say also that I have the kindle app on my Windows phone and my laptop so I can read a snippet of my current book on my phone whilst waiting on the kids in the car etc or on the laptop when my kindle is somewhere else in the house, very handy.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I love my Kindle and have read more than ever because of it. I don't think I will read a physical book again. I didn't bother buying a cover as I like that I can hold it and turn the page with one hand! I made a padded pouch for it from a rather large pencil case!
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    The only drawback is that I sometimes forget the title of what I'm reading, as I don't have the visual stimulus of the actual book to remind me, even when I'm not thinking about it.

I agree - I would like the title to appear at the top of the screen all the time, and for the cover to appear as the screensaver.

You can remind yourself of the book you are reading by pressing Menu, as the title will then appear at the top of the page.