3 films with 11 awards which desirved it the most

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
Only 3 films have won 11 awards Lord of the rings return of the king. Titanic and Ben Hur. In your view which film really did desirve all 11 did all 3 desirve them or was they all underated. Would like to here your views.

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamlee19 wrote: »
    Only 3 films have won 11 awards Lord of the rings return of the king. Titanic and Ben Hur. In your view which film really did desirve all 11 did all 3 desirve them or was they all underated. Would like to here your views.
    I think Titanic and Ben Hur deserved all their awards, because they arguably were the best in their respective years in the categories they won (it's all subjective anyway blah blah). I feel that ROTK won not so much for the film itself, but as recognition for the trilogy as a whole, and so perhaps wasn't fully deserving of all the Oscars bestowed upon it.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's interesting that out of 33 awards between the three of them only two were for acting: Charlton Heston and Hugh Griffith (both deserved though). It seems that if you throw enough money at the spectacle then you can hoover up the technical awards.

I prefer the three films that won the 'Big Five' myself: It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Silence of the Lambs.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I agree, it did feel like ROTK winning 11 Oscars was awarding and recognising the Trilogy as a whole but it was an excellent film.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,253
    Forum Member
    I think it's interesting that out of 33 awards between the three of them only two were for acting: Charlton Heston and Hugh Griffith (both deserved though). It seems that if you throw enough money at the spectacle then you can hoover up the technical awards.

I prefer the three films that won the 'Big Five' myself: It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Silence of the Lambs.

Agree with this completely. Honestly, i think all 3 that have won 11 are overrated.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Return of the King winning for the trilogy as a whole is a problem at all - the special effects, CGI, costumes, cinematography etc were all the same people, and the whole trilogy was filmed in one go. So it makes sense to recognise it at its climax, and I think all 11 Oscars were wholly deserved.

I've never managed to make it the whole way through Ben Hur, so can't comment on it. Titanic is good, and the special effects for their time are great, but I don't think it deserved 11 Oscars.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ben Hur was my favourite of those three.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Titanic much. I've only seen it the once, at the cinema.

I like Ben-Hur enough to have bought it on Blu-ray.

There's a lot I like about the LOTR trilogy, but some scenes are just messed up. I have the extended editions on regular DVD, and won't be buying them on Blu-ray.

Ben-Hur gets my vote.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blade Runner should have won at least one award
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I think Titanic and Ben Hur deserved all their awards, because they arguably were the best in their respective years in the categories they won (it's all subjective anyway blah blah). I feel that ROTK won not so much for the film itself, but as recognition for the trilogy as a whole, and so perhaps wasn't fully deserving of all the Oscars bestowed upon it.

I mostly agree with this....with the exception that the way Ben-Hur and ROTK translated to the small screen/home cinema was much better than Titanic. Titanic was an amazing spectacle in the cinema, much like Avatar was, but when you rewatch them at home, you start to see that they both traded an awful lot on the way they looked/sounded.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Return of the King was the only movie that was the best in the year it came out.
    In my opinion, North by Northwest and Some Like it Hot were both better or more entertaining than Ben Hur. I also think LA Confidential was a better movie than Titanic.
    But that's just going by my "how often could I watch it again" criteria. :)
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 372,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leonardo DiCaprio should have won the best actor Oscar for Titanic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leonardo DiCaprio should have won the best actor Oscar for Titanic.

Really ? I think he's an excellent actor, but he was badly miscast in Titanic.
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 372,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he's an excellent actor, but he was badly miscast in Titanic.

All the other actors/actresses were superb but I think Leo had the edge, you know that extra star quality ;). To this day Titanic is my favourite DiCaprio film and I doubt that will ever change.

Why do you think Leo was miscast?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think LA Confidential was a better movie than Titanic.

Agreed, absolutely!

While I think that Titanic did deserve some of its Oscars (e.g. Visual Effects, Art Direction, Costume Design), I think that LA Confidential was a far better film and should have won Best Picture and Best Director.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the other actors/actresses were superb but I think Leo had the edge, you know that extra star quality ;). To this day Titanic is my favourite DiCaprio film and I doubt that will ever change.

Why do you think Leo was miscast?

I just didn't think he fitted the part of Jack Dawson, he was too young and clean-cut. It didn't help that Kate Winslet looked a bit "mumsy" at the time, she actually looked slimmer and sexier when she was a older..in my opinion.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I also think LA Confidential was a better movie than Titanic.
    But that's just going by my "how often could I watch it again" criteria. :)

It was a pretty weak line-up that year so I was frankly amazed that LA Confidential didn't win best film. It was the only standout film in my opinion.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lord of The Rings was the most deserved of it's awards. It was the round better film in terms of narrative and technical qualities like screen play and visual effects.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's a lot of luck (and studio politics) involved in winning Oscars, I would think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Academy_Award-winning_films

list of films winning Oscars

note none for Shawshank Redemption
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord of the Rings would be my favourite though I didn't like ROTK anywhere near as much as I liked the first 2.