Free upgrade for Thompson sky+hd box owners

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.Penrose wrote: »
    I got the upgrade letter to. But thing is my Thompson box is just a Sky+ white box and not HD. But have gone for the up grade because I miss read the letter. Looks like they have made a mistake in thinking my Box is HD. So I'm going to have to phone and tell them that we don't want the up grade now as my box isn't HD.

No, if you have read the thread, you will see this is already answered in posts 26 & s9:
    Lexxy_703 wrote: »
    sorry for any confusion, yes the multiroom is an old white SD Thomson box. we only have 1 HD box & that's a Samsung.

i'm tempted to complete the registration details for the offer & see what happens, it's their fault for sending me the letter! :D

knowing my luck, the Samsung will be 'deleted' & i'll lose all my content! :rolleyes:
    well, stand back in amazement people, i have an update from Sky...

"I have just been updated with the offer and it seems that a number of customers with PVR 3 boxes (Thomson Sky+ box) have been selected for this offer"

new HD box on it's way then! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    well sorry to be pedantic but an old Sky box wont be a freeview receiver it would be a FreeSat from Sky receiver, and if the old boxes arent able to pick up any sky channels later just a FTA satelite receiver which will have less and less channels as time goes on!

i didn't know this, i just thought it was the equivalent of a freeview box, so pedant away! ;)

thanks for the re-quote SodaFountain, thought i'd engaged invisible mode & didn't know about it! :D
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that soda fountain:-) So it looks like I'm one of the lucky ones that's got just an ordinary Thompson Sky+ but I am being up graded to a free HD box that is when Sky actually phone to say I'm getting it. Fantastic news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    hawkwind wrote: »
    Just checked and my skyhd box is a samsung model r005.054.15.oop
    version 973008

but as you said my multiroom box is a sky+ (white) thompson box

so will they replace the sky+ with a skyhd box

just registered and how do you get them to send the box without an engineer visit

p.s this is how they might be confused re mine
    i had a normal sky box (multiroom) in bedroom and sky+ in main room but when i upgraded to hd i did it on the single standard box so they would put in the twin wire in bedroom then i swapped the boxes
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad says it's a self install they just deliver the box to you. And in the letter they say they will call you to arrange delivery of box nothing about installing it.
  • LioLio Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    The free receiver has the low capacity disk which I'd struggle with, having long since upgraded my Thomson to 1Tb. I see that existing customers are able to buy the 2Tb receiver for £49, which I'd happily pay. The offer link only lets you give personal details, but doesn't seem to give you the opportunity to ask for the bigger disk. Has anyone managed to do this?
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you go through the upgrade website a sky advisor should ring you back a few days later to arrange the delivery, when they do this have a word with them about upgrading to a 2tb box instead. I don't think it would be a problem, I thought sky were trying to engourage people to get a 2tb anyway, that's why they reduced it to £49.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    FWIW, I contacted Sky via the support web page to explain that, although I no longer had my old Thomson box installed (upgraded it to 1TB box a couple of years ago), I was planning to replace my very old Sky+ multiroom box with the Thomson. If I did that could I then apply for the free Thomson upgrade?
    A very nice lady rang me back to say that they would frown on this devious plan (my words), but they would send me a new Sky+HD 500Gb box for free - just pay £15 delivery. Naturally, I jumped at this offer, new box arrived next day and self-install was a breeze - you don't even have to phone to get the card paired and channels activated these days. All my HD channels came up straight away. Box Office and On Demand took an extra few hours to kick in.
    One extra point re On Demand - I didn't get the free wireless connector which is part of the Thomson upgrade offer. Not bothered though since I had a spare wireless connector.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianmoz wrote: »
    FWIW, I contacted Sky via the support web page to explain that, although I no longer had my old Thomson box installed (upgraded it to 1TB box a couple of years ago), I was planning to replace my very old Sky+ multiroom box with the Thomson. If I did that could I then apply for the free Thomson upgrade?
    A very nice lady rang me back to say that they would frown on this devious plan (my words), but they would send me a new Sky+HD 500Gb box for free - just pay £15 delivery. Naturally, I jumped at this offer, new box arrived next day and self-install was a breeze - you don't even have to phone to get the card paired and channels activated these days. All my HD channels came up straight away. Box Office and On Demand took an extra few hours to kick in.
    One extra point re On Demand - I didn't get the free wireless connector which is part of the Thomson upgrade offer. Not bothered though since I had a spare wireless connector.

did they ask for your thomson box though?
    if they didn't then that's the flaw in the process as it hasn't removed that box from use (as no doubt you'll sell it and someone else will start to use it).
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    if they didn't then that's the flaw in the process as it hasn't removed that box from use (as no doubt you'll sell it and someone else will start to use it).

I think a lot of people will gain from this 'flaw' as Sky are unwilling to do anything about it.:D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I think a lot of people will gain from this 'flaw' as Sky are unwilling to do anything about it.:D

they could easily do something about it, they could put the box on a blacklist once it has been "replaced" with a free box (or equivalent), thus essentially removing it from use for anything other than the FTA channels.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    When I had my Thomson replaced lasy year the installer was adament that he needed to take the old one back with him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they could easily do something about it, they could put the box on a blacklist once it has been "replaced" with a free box (or equivalent), thus essentially removing it from use for anything other than the FTA channels.

that would be a lot better for sky and good for anyone who just want FTA receivers, the PVR function wont work again though but as people can connect a PVR very easily to the component out I suppose they might do that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member

No they didn't mention anything about the old box. Perhaps this is because I've not actually changed the box as per the current Thomson upgrade offer (inlcuding free wireless connector). In that respect it's no different to when I replaced/upgraded the Thomson to the 1TB box.

But that's a valid point if the purpose of the current Thomson offer is to get these boxes out of circulation.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    When I had my Thomson replaced lasy year the installer was adament that he needed to take the old one back with him!
    My original Thomson box was swapped for a new Amstrad (now Sky) box quite early on in the process, and there was never any question of taking it away.
    If the installer (I wasn't given a self-install option) had insisted they needed to take it I would have made them wait while I got my upgraded 1TB drive out of it!
    It's now up in the loft as an emergency spare......
    :)
  • LioLio Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Another question I forgot to ask in my earlier post! I paid full price for my Thomson, since in those days subsidised boxes *had* to be connected to a fixed telephone line, and this was not practical for me. It's still not practical for me to connect the box to my phone line, so I hope this is not a pre-requisite for the replacement deal. Can anyone confirm?
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phone line is only required for the first 12 months of your contract and when you rent movies from box office and sky store. So you won't be required to connect your box to the telephone line.
    Forum Member
    Nsewell wrote: »
    The phone line is only required for the first 12 months of your contract and when you rent movies from box office and sky store. So you won't be required to connect your box to the telephone line.
    But, as the Sky Store, is getting steadily more useful to buy episodes/series to watch you won't be able to use it either!
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    had insisted they needed to take it I would have made them wait while I got my upgraded 1TB drive out of it!
    While I had ALREADY put the old HDD back in as it had been made very clear when Sky phoned that it was a SWAP!

Leaving them makes no sense when the purpose is to get theme out of circulation!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    While I had ALREADY put the old HDD back in as it had been made very clear when Sky phoned that it was a SWAP!

Leaving them makes no sense when the purpose is to get theme out of circulation!

If I knew my old box was being taken away in a swap I would have put a rubbish old drive that doesnt work any more in as im sure the box will only be scrapped anyway. (if it was out of warranty that is)
  • Dave_DublinDave_Dublin Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I'm in Ireland and have TWO Thomson HD boxes.

I paid €598 for them a few years ago and I've never had a problem with them except the odd "no sat signal..." some mornings.

I have "Sky World HD" and multiroom as well as phone+broadband totalling €119 per month.

I've never received any communication from Sky regarding swapping my boxes.

They recently increased my subscription by €3 per month stating "Sky Go" and "On Demand" as the justification for the increase but I don't have access to "On Demand" due to my Thomson boxes.

When I contacted Sky a while ago about this I was told I'd have to PURCHASE two new boxes at a cost of €398 plus €60 installation and €25.98 for wireless connectors if I want "On Demand"

My question is : (to anyone who has the knowledge or an educated opinion)

Will they get to Irish customers AFTER they've swapped every UK Thomson box - OR - Do you think I've just been overlooked by the dept. that deals with swaps ?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    daft question alert! :)

we have a Samsung Sky+ HD box & an old Thomson Sky+ box on multiroom, got the letter today for an upgrade.

at first i thought the letter had been sent by mistake as it refers to 'upgrade your Thomson Sky+ HD box', when we have a Samsung. but am i reading it wrong & are they offering to upgrade our old Thomson Sky+ ?

i've probably completely mis-understood, i seem to be doing a lot of this recently! :D

if anyone could clarify please. thanks.

We've had exactly the same letter and we've got the same scenario as you (we've got all the new HD box features so definitely not a Thomson box. Our multiroom SD box is a Thomson however.

Think it's worth calling :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    We've had exactly the same letter and we've got the same scenario as you (we've got all the new HD box features so definitely not a Thomson box. Our multiroom SD box is a Thomson however.

Think it's worth calling :)

Same situation here to. Samsung HD box downstairs and an old white Thompson Sky+ box in the bedroom

I received the letter from Sky at the beginning of April and yesterday was contacted by them to say the new box would be delivered on April 23rd and that it would be a self install. I specifically asked if I needed to send the old box back to them and was told no and that I could dispose of it in anyway I wanted to
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are Sky updating their HD channels? Will it lead to a better HD image or is it more behind the screens situation?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Why are Sky updating their HD channels? Will it lead to a better HD image or is it more behind the screens situation?
    I don't think anyone knows, or if they do they're not saying!
    Sky certainly seem to be implying that something will be changing which will for the first time prevent Thomson boxes from receiving services that they do receive at the moment.
    Whatever it is, it only seems to apply to HD.
    Very mysterious!
    :)