Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Just finished upgrading my box. This is awesome. Thanks everybody.

Only problem I had was a message relating to USB Stick Fail and I had to reformat my USB stick as FAT rather than FAT32 to get the box to recognise it.

I'm using a multifunction wireless bridge device I had lying around as a client bridge to connect to the Internet.

Only found out about this as a couple of weeks ago I got a Sony Media Player (N200) cheap, but IPlayer on there seems to be nobbled so you can't watch films. Whilst trying to find if there was any way of getting films on it I read the wikipedia article about IPlayer which suggested that FreeviewHD boxes were IPlayer capable. Now I wasn't holding out much hope having got this box cheap from the Tesco ebay outlet some 9 months ago but I found this thread and could scarcely believe it when my box appeared to be the upgradeable model. I'll be getting rid of the Sony media player and just using the Technika now (added bonus i don't need a HDMI switch now).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Any thoughts on Tesco's announcement this morning about a Blinkbox test on Technika boxes being trialled to staff?
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blinkbox???

Never heard of it. What is it?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it. What is it?
    Well obviously Google would have told you that in a flash, but I can't see the relevance of any of it to the STBHDIS2010 boxes.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts on Tesco's announcement this morning about a Blinkbox test on Technika boxes being trialled to staff?

Source? I'm drawing a blank with google - though I do now now that Tesco bought Blinkbox in 2011.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I thought that since Tesco run the Blinkbox service and they also sell the HDIS2010, they might use the STB as a device to deliver Blinkbox?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tesco completely takes over the collapsed Electra Entertainment operation I suppose that is possible but only if there's some money in it for them.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    If Tesco completely takes over the collapsed Electra Entertainment operation I suppose that is possible but only if there's some money in it for them.

Electra were only ever software developers/support for Tesco and I have always said that the logic was for Tesco to sell the STBHDIS2010 to get a platform for its Blinkbox service into as many homes as they can. All their smart Technika televisions have been able to access it for months though their in store promotions have been low key and other advertising only appearing recently.

Since it is thought the IS stands for Internet Services and this was a break with their previous practice of using the last letters to indicated the supplier (H for Harvard, V for Vestel, Hylab the box makers appear as a suffix HY in the third batch); it is perfectly possible that the "DIS" will be used for Blinkbox. Certainly the earlier games offerings which were tasters to buy a full version demonstrate pay services are possible.

On the other hand, it does not appear on their current web site and they sell a £50 IPTV smart box A and HY suffixed models are appearing on the Tesco Outlet site on eBay and another seller has them new at very high prices. It could be being "rested" while they establish if the Blinkbox service functions well and then re-introduce it at maybe the original £90 to reduce it almost immediately to £70 (as happened when first out) heavily promoting the iPlayer and Blinkbox capablility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that's all plausible but there are a lot of boxes out there already and to get a software update out to them will mean (AFAIK) initially putting it on the trovetv.co.uk server. We have yet to see what will happen to that domain name when it expires in May.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    Electra were only ever software developers/support for Tesco

Well, the Tesco exclusive thing might suggest that, but I don't think that was their plan.

Anyway, aside from that, Electra have gone bust, so unless they were the software developer for Tesco (which might mean Tesco already own the source code), they would have had to purchase the source from Electra and employ somebody to further develop it. These boxes run intent, and God only knows how the downloaded components are encoded and named (Tesco would have to take over the domain and the web hosting too).

I'd suggest they need somebody from Electra's development team to take on this work. I think it would have happened had Electra still been around, but restarting development now seems a bit improbable.
    Forum Member
    I've written a little blog article on how to run your own iTrove server. ie. how to fool the STBHDIS2010 into downloading all the data for Channel Zero (especially the iPlayer app) from a local source.
    http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/blog/?e=1

(For those unaware, the domain that the STBHDIS2010 connects to expires on the 17th May. Unless somebody jumps on it and takes over the hosting, Trove/Channel Zero/iPlayer will cease to download after that date)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent chrisy, thanks, that could come in very handy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So unless we all do this, it is almost certain that from May 17th we will all lose BBC Iplayer should our boxes ever lose power?

That is disgraceful if correct.

Tesco were claiming that BBC iplayer was receivable using these boxes, that is why I purchased three.
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I've written a little blog article on how to run your own iTrove server. ie. how to fool the STBHDIS2010 into downloading all the data for Channel Zero (especially the iPlayer app) from a local source.
    http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/blog/?e=1

Presumably we can use any HTTP / DNS server combination to do this ?

My Ubuntu system runs dnsmasq out of the box.

644 should be sufficient permissions for files, 755 for directories.

Also note many domestic routers have their own DNS servers, you may have to disconnect yours from the internet while loading the software, and then reconnect to watch programs.
  • grumpycrabgrumpycrab Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/blog/?e=1...
    Interesting. I've been looking for an excuse to get a Raspberry PI. Thought I'd found a good reason the other day (multi temp. sensor monitor) but that's a bit dull.

Not sure if its worth it just to keep iPlayer on our HD-STB. I'm currently looking for a Blu-ray player. Do these come with catch-up TV services?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    Presumably we can use any HTTP / DNS server combination to do this ?

Yes, I'd expect that the box doesn't care what is serving DNS and HTTP to it as long as it gets suitable results returned.

Given that the trovetv.co.uk webserver at 46.137.121.143 is currently still up we might only need to trick the local dns entry for www.trovetv.co.uk to continue to point at that if the domain expires - unlikely to be a reliable long term solution though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also you have to expand and untar the www.trovetv.co.uk.tar.xz file into /var/www

You'll need the 'xzcat' for this, if you don't have it get it from http://tukaani.org/xz/. Recent versions of 7-zip may work also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also occurs to me that you should disable DHCP or BOOTP
    on the computer, and run with a fixed IP address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So unless we all do this, it is almost certain that from May 17th we will all lose BBC Iplayer should our boxes ever lose power?

That is disgraceful if correct.

Tesco were claiming that BBC iplayer was receivable using these boxes, that is why I purchased three.

I don't think it is "almost certain" but it is sensible to prepare for the eventuality. I actually only bought another one last week (Tesco had another batch up on eBay for £25) as the first one I bought failed completely, more than a year old so probably not worth pursuing. The second one I bought is still going strong. The latest one came with version 225 installed, but was not sold as iPlayer capable. In any case, Tesco's liability would be limited to the price you paid and I'm sure you would have little trouble getting a refund if the iPlayer service stopped and the box was sold on that basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are excellent boxes and give great image quality, but I would be demanding a refund if BBC iplayer was lost as it was specifically advertised as being able to receive that facility in my local Tesco when I purchased it. That was the deal clincher for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also note many domestic routers have their own DNS servers, you may have to disconnect yours from the internet while loading the software, and then reconnect to watch programs.

Actually this is not necessary, however to make it work I had to modify the DNS settings on the router to force it to look at my DNS server, rather than the ISP's default one, and then switch back after loading the software.

Possibly if the real www.trovetv.co.uk domain name disappears this will cease to be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to make it work I had to modify the DNS settings on the router to force it to look at my DNS server, rather than the ISP's default one, and then switch back after loading the software.

This is possible on a talktalk router, but not a BT Homehub
    Forum Member
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Interesting. I've been looking for an excuse to get a Raspberry PI. Thought I'd found a good reason the other day (multi temp. sensor monitor) but that's a bit dull.

Yeah, me too actually. I tested this procedure on my netbook but it's a bit inconvenient to have that switched on permanently. I want one to use as a print server too, so the dual purpose makes it a good idea. Also I'd set it up to route through to wireless, so it would replace my TP-Link (and probably could be powered off the STB's USB port too).
    Not sure if its worth it just to keep iPlayer on our HD-STB. I'm currently looking for a Blu-ray player. Do these come with catch-up TV services?

A lot of them do, but not all. I bought a basic one which has a network port but no abilities beyond playing blu-rays.