gmail account on android tablets

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
I have just set up a android tablet (samsung galaxy tab 2)
I have obviously set up with my gmail account but how can I turn off notifications for every email I get, I don't really want my email account open for all as it will be a shared tablet.
Thanks

Comments

• chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    also can anyone tell me how to sync the accounts, when I open windows mail on my laptop and delete emails why don't they delete from gmail on my phone/tablet or online gmail.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using the Gmail or the Mail app?
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Are you using the Gmail or the Mail app?

I've sorted the syncing issue (I think)
    I haven't set the email on the phone the notifications are coming from the gmail app.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I've sorted the syncing issue (I think)
    I haven't set the email on the phone the notifications are coming from the gmail app.

There's a tick box called notification. Just untick it.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    There's a tick box called notification. Just untick it.

Where is the notification box please Rodney? I can't find it when I look at my gmail account on my tablet.

chocoholic, if you can't find a way round it (you may be able to find the notification box) you could set up a new gmail account and just use that for your tablet, don't use it for emails.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have Jellybean, one way of doing it is:

Settings > Apps > Gmail > Untick 'Show Notifications'
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Where is the notification box please Rodney? I can't find it when I look at my gmail account on my tablet.

chocoholic, if you can't find a way round it (you may be able to find the notification box) you could set up a new gmail account and just use that for your tablet, don't use it for emails.

Open the gmail app and select settings you should then have a menu that shows general settings and your gmail account settings xxx@gmsail.com, select that and you will see the notifications tick box.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just set up a android tablet (samsung galaxy tab 2)
    I have obviously set up with my gmail account but how can I turn off notifications for every email I get, I don't really want my email account open for all as it will be a shared tablet.
    Thanks

Sharing a tablet with someone is like sharing a credit card with the OH.

It has its dangers.:D
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Open the gmail app and select settings you should then have a menu that shows general settings and your gmail account settings xxx@gmsail.com, select that and you will see the notifications tick box.

Thanks for that. I'd gone into 'Settings' and clicked on my gmail account from there; it doesn't show the notification box that way. I've found it now, thanks ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    It doesn't help you right now, but the rumours are that the Tab 2 will eventually be upgraded to Android 4.2. Then you'll be able to use multiple user accounts - it's really helpful to be able to share a tablet around the family and each get your own email, apps and so on.