Asus Fonepad...comments ?

advidadvid Posts: 609
Forum Member
✭✭
...any comments and opinions on the soon to be released Asus Fonepad...a 7 inch 'phablet'...
Looks good value for money...a phone and tablet in one...

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PC Pro A-listed it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Atom used is classed as 'basic'. The GPU is too, by todays standards.

They also make the (calculated?) mistake of announcing smartphone runtime comparisons !
    Its obviously a tablet that can also be used as a phone, not the other way round.
    Elsewhere, early tests of that CPU was described as very pedestrian, even for web browsing.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking about pre ordering one, but the CPU has me a bit worried, it appears to be single core, although some sites list it as dual core.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    2FS wrote: »
    I'm thinking about pre ordering one, but the CPU has me a bit worried, it appears to be single core, although some sites list it as dual core.
    It's a single x86 based Intel CPU as opposed an ARM. I wouldn't put it in the same league as budget android single cores but obviously it can't compete with the latest quad core ARM CPUs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1299202/asus-fonepad

Looking good according to Trusted Reviews 5 Stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flipper411 wrote: »
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1299202/asus-fonepad
    Looking good according to Trusted Reviews 5 Stars.
    Its hard to trust the benchmarks but they are claiming the GPU is only half as fast as the Nexus 7 one.

Expert reviews are invariably not to be fully trusted thus the claim of a dual core CPU.
    It is a very adequate offering though, especially compared to the ludicrously under specced, overpriced 3G iPad Mini that cannot even make mobile calls.

And I'd also rather have this Asus than its main rival, the soon to be superseded 3G Tab 2 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its hard to trust the benchmarks but they are claiming the GPU is only half as fast as the Nexus 7 one.

Expert reviews are invariably not to be fully trusted thus the claim of a dual core CPU.
    It is a very adequate offering though, especially compared to the ludicrously under specced, overpriced 3G iPad Mini that cannot even make mobile calls.

And I'd also rather have this Asus than its main rival, the soon to be superseded 3G Tab 2 7.

Yep agree with your sentiments Alan. But I would say for £179 price you cant really go to far wrong, particularly with Asus's great pedigree on Tablets.
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..decided to pre-order from Amazon and it's just arrived (well done Amazon for quick delivery)
    First impressions...absolutely great...
    Although I've not set up the phone yet as I'm still waiting for a micro-sim.
    Works pretty well speed-wise..a little bit of lag when on some sites using Wi-Fi when compared to my dual core Toshiba AT300SE tablet but hardly noticeable most times..
    Sound - also very good for its size --not too tinny when playing music...volume goes up to reasonable levels.
    The front facing camera for Skype ect is also excellent..good exposure/white balance...
    WHY oh WHY did the UK version not come with a rear camera I do not know..that for me would have really been a top score for this little gadget.
    Can't really fault it so far - especially for the money...seems well made \ good quality all round.
    Will update the phone calling when sim arrives..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...received the micro sim and all works very well..calls - very clear - volume levels aok....both ear and speakerphone..
    ..EXCEPT..SKYPE...works OK, good picture but sound levels very low...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i only clicked this cos i read thread title as ' anus fonepad'' and was intrigued as to what it could be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    i only clicked this cos i read thread title as ' anus fonepad'' and was intrigued as to what it could be

..well..you know where to stick it then :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Tab 3 announcement today, on the face of it seems one heck of a damp squid.

But being Samsung it the one that gets the press mentions.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/10025690/Samsung-announces-Galaxy-Tab-3.html

No mention of chipset and just maybe the PhoneTab version will be £200.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Took the plunge and bought a Fonepad. Enjoying it so far, the battery seems strong (compared to my Motorola Xoom) and I haven't experienced any lag yet, despite it being single core. It also has a stronger signal than my S2, which is handy.

Only grumble is the clock, it refuses to keep time correctly! Hopefully the next update will sort it out.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use my nexus 7 tablet as a phone ..