Have you been to Rhodes, Greece???

13»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    I *love* Rhodes

Been in July 2006 & then last September.

It was soooo hot in September. I went to Pefkos both times and it's just such a stunning place.

*sighs*

Was touching 29 when we were there from the 3rd October last year.

June was touching 40!! Was lovely :D
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old town Rhodes is beautiful. It was July when we were there though - ridiculously hot. Far too hot for me. I'd say it would be very pleasant if you go in May, OP.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to Rhodes in June - for a couple of weeks for our honeymoon.

Staying in a villa near Lindos. It's the only Greek island (out of the main ones) we haven't stayed in before either together or with our ex partners so looking forward to it!

We almost went in May ourselves - and the weather looked lovely even then - even if it says mid 20s - bear in mind that it will feel warmed than our mid-20's over here - think of where you are!
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now i wish i went June lol.

Another question...is Greece expensive? Cause i would like to buy a few things for myself and my family...friends and boyfriend and i was told that in Greece atm things were tough, ergo may be abit more expensive now. Plus the euro atm isn't good either. I intend on bringing around the £240 mark and my debit card just incase but i doubt i'll spend that much but i rather bring much more then i need instead of too little.

Talk about September......i'm gonna book a hliday then with my boyfriend and he's got it into his head he wants to go to South Africa....wooooooo talk about expensive. Do you guys go away every year then?? I've been away at least once a year for the past 10yrs, before that we would go every 2nd year but now instead of getting harder like it is for some in the UK...it's better for us now cause we've all (family, me, bf and mates) have managed to land pretty good jobs.

It must be hard for thouse who can't afford to go away cause sometimes you do need to get away from here for a bit. I know someone who goes away 6 times a year :eek: I think i'll stick to once or twice...more then that is silly cause i dont wanna end up chucking money away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    We went to Rhodes twice last year. Both times to a resort called Pefkos. Its lovely. Plenty of pool bars, tavernas and the people are fab. The beach is nice and sandy and stretches for miles!

Its about 15mins away from the an old town called Lindos where we may be getting married next year :D Old Rhodes town is fab as well if you like history.

In June this year we are having a change and going to Elounda in Crete but then in October going back to Pefkos.

Elounda is magic, or at least it was last time i was there
    Forum Member
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Elounda is magic, or at least it was last time i was there

Yeah, my mum loved it. Cant wait to see it :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    FCUK wrote: »
    Now i wish i went June lol.

Another question...is Greece expensive? Cause i would like to buy a few things for myself and my family...friends and boyfriend and i was told that in Greece atm things were tough, ergo may be abit more expensive now. Plus the euro atm isn't good either. I intend on bringing around the £240 mark and my debit card just incase but i doubt i'll spend that much but i rather bring much more then i need instead of too little.

Talk about September......i'm gonna book a hliday then with my boyfriend and he's got it into his head he wants to go to South Africa....wooooooo talk about expensive. Do you guys go away every year then?? I've been away at least once a year for the past 10yrs, before that we would go every 2nd year but now instead of getting harder like it is for some in the UK...it's better for us now cause we've all (family, me, bf and mates) have managed to land pretty good jobs.

It must be hard for thouse who can't afford to go away cause sometimes you do need to get away from here for a bit. I know someone who goes away 6 times a year :eek: I think i'll stick to once or twice...more then that is silly cause i dont wanna end up chucking money away.

Things in shops are pretty expensive verging on ridiculous for some imported items. If you can find a 'proper' supermarket you will save a fortune. Eating and drinking out is cheaper than here though, sometimes a lot cheaper.
    Forum Member
    Things in shops are pretty expensive verging on ridiculous for some imported items. If you can find a 'proper' supermarket you will save a fortune. Eating and drinking out is cheaper than here though, sometimes a lot cheaper.

Hugely cheaper!!

But yeah, imported items such as breakfast cereal for instance is about €5!!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In June this year we are having a change and going to Elounda in Crete but then in October going back to Pefkos.

We've been to Elounda twice and loved it. Make sure you do the trip over to Spinalonga.

Where are you staying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    I can recommend two places in that case. You have to book them online, they aren't places that you find in Thomas Cook etc, ie. Where the Faliraki crowd book their hols.

Molyvos on Lesvos

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Mytillini---Molyvos-greece-695733_800_519.jpg

And Parga, on the mainland. Everyone goes for the Islands, but there are some spectacular places on the mainland..

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4113/4843393572_5bf0295fcd_z.jpg

Both of those are towns are available through Manos which is now owned by Thomas Cook but attracts a different type of package holiday traveller. We've been to both and would recommend.

I'd also recommend Stoupa on the mainland which is like going back in time 25 years - in a good way.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    We've been to Elounda twice and loved it. Make sure you do the trip over to Spinalonga.

Where are you staying?

Staying at Akti Olous hotel.

Oh yes, will be making sure we do that trip! Also may be taking a chopper over to Santorini for the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staying at Akti Olous hotel.

Oh yes, will be making sure we do that trip! Also may be taking a chopper over to Santorini for the day.

Went to Santorini in 2011. Lovely place but quite expensive and not as friendly as other places in Greece I've been. Well worth a visit though as it's spectacular but I don't think I'd recommend for a fortnight.

We stayed in the Olive Grove in Elounda, by the harbour. Lovely chilled out little town. I'd recommend a bar called Garden Of Eden for a laid back and friendly place to watch the world go by :)
  • Paul254Paul254 Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So im going away to Greece for the first time, however i feel i have booked the holiday during the wrong month, i go the 4th May. I dont know wherever the weather will be warm. I likeheat but didn't wanna spend nearly double for going in July or August. I wish i had booked it for June, or alot later in May. Have any of you been to Rhodes at that time of year??? Do you think the weather would be warm?? I've been to many places but have always gone June or September, so i hope i picked an ok time.

I'm going Rhodes the exact same day!!!!! My first holiday on my own!!
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a market in the new town of Rhodes just across the road from the Harbour that sells nick knacks but I would just tell people you will send them a postcard but you aren't going to bring back gifts. That way if you see something and can afford it, you can get it, otherwise you end up always looking for something to buy, usually in the tourist spots where you pay tourist prices and can get ripped off. There are plenty of shops in the old town that sells things like magnets and what I call" holiday tat" the sort of stuff when you get it home you ask yourself why on earth you bought it, thing is if you are asking yourself that you can bet your bottom euro that the person you buy it for will be thinking the same.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Lindos - it was the hottest weather I've experienced in my life. This was July/August though.
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes is a fabulous island! I have been 3 times, the most recent being in 2010. We stayed at the Ibiscus hotel in Rhodes Town and it was probably the best holiday of my life. We went July/August time and it was HOT. Lindos was hot too, never felt anything like it since :eek: The harbour is so beautiful and you get to see all the posh cruise chips at night and they are all lit up :)

Symi is a lovely little island, but its also very hot. I don't like it very hot!
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Symi is a lovely little island, but its also very hot. I don't like it very hot!

I did that day trip. Nice little island although the ferry journey was a little bit too long.
  • Sir HarveySir Harvey Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    A bit off-topic I know, but I was told that if you have been to Turkey, you are not allowed to enter Greece, (and vice versa). How is it enforceable if Greece is part of Schengen, so you could just enter Greece via an adjacent Schengen country, even if you have already been to Turkey? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I think it's only a problem if you visited North Cyprus, rather than Turkey.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I think it's only a problem if you visited North Cyprus, rather than Turkey.

I hope not, we're off on holiday to North Cyprus next month. Along with thousands of others each year, we're flying into Larnaca and being transferred to North Cyprus via Nicosia.

While I understand they still stamp a piece of paper with your name, etc., on, coming back we return via a crossing to South Cyprus, so it's pretty hard to disguise where we've been.

There are also coach excursions every day, from holiday resorts in the south, to North Cyprus, so I think things are much easier than they used to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Harvey wrote: »
    A bit off-topic I know, but I was told that if you have been to Turkey, you are not allowed to enter Greece, (and vice versa). How is it enforceable if Greece is part of Schengen, so you could just enter Greece via an adjacent Schengen country, even if you have already been to Turkey? :confused:

They do day trips from some of the Greek Islands to Turkey. I've been on two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not true. The only problem that can transpire is if a Turkish stamp is noted in your passport you might be asked what you were doing there. Less so now, but I have known people it has happened to.

As for day trips to Turkey from the Islands, these tend to be arranged via the tour operators - you have to pay a small fee which is kept by the Turkish authorities. They then overlook issues such as stamping passports although they do record them and you obviously need to take them with you.

I have heard that once on the Turkish mainland the day trippers are constantly pestered to buy all sorts of things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not far from Kalithea Springs - more about it here http://www.kallitheasprings.gr/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en
    A word of warning the springs are thermal so they can produce the unique aroma of rotten eggs.

This hotel is one of several large hotels along the coast between Rhodes Town and Faliraki. You won't get the taste a real Greece here but you will be on a road that has a very frequent bus service.should you want to explore.

The southern part of the Island is the quieter part of the Island where you will find more of a Greek flavour but apart from the overcrowded Lindos beach and the remote Prassonissi beach on the southernmost part of the Island you will not find many sandy beaches that end of the Island. Tsambika Beach is probably the best on the northern end of the Island.

The east coast is sheltered and early May the weather will probably be pleasant as opposed to hot (low 70's pretty much guaranteed) - the downside with Spring is that the sea will be a lot colder than later in the year. September and October is when the sea temps are the warmest.

Personally having been to Alikes in Zante many times, Tigaki, Kos many times and Faliraki, Rhodes once I would say it is not an Island I would go back to again. The pace of life in the North is faster and the Island has suffered from a lot of development which seems to have trashed the way of life with very little in the way of farming land that you would find in other Islands, as the north has been developed to pretty much solely rely on tourism, the result is than now the numbers are down the locality is suffering from the effects of this and the Greek recession. You will not notice this near to the All inclusive Hotels as no local tavernas have ever had any chance to flourish, but in nearby Falaraki the number of closed businesses is very noticeable.

Prices in the north are more expensive than the south (apart from the supermarket chains) - laws of supply and demand. Petrol in Greece is now about the most expensive in Europe, so this is reflected in the cost of trips etc, but as you won't be eating out much then unless you are planning on doing a lot of trips or hiring a car or going made on souveniers your budget should be fine.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

Well i've entered Greece directly from Turkey so you're wrong.