Film times changing on a Friday

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
Does anyone know of the origin to this since most movies open on a Thursday and cinemas change the times. But why Friday?

How did this come about?

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of the origin to this since most movies open on a Thursday and cinemas change the times. But why Friday?

How did this come about?
    I don't know for certain, but my assumption has always been that films open on a Friday to maximise their opening weekend takings, as that's the traditional Box Office yardstick of failure or success (ok, technically the weekend is Sat and Sun, but from Hollywood's p.o.v. Friday also counts). Release a film on a Monday, say, and by the time the weekend rolls around, everyone who really wanted to see it asap a) has already done so and b) if it's crap, word of mouth will have already killed its chances. Release a high-profile film - The Lone Ranger, for e.g. - on a Friday, and by the time everyone starts to realise it's dreadful, you've already taken millions over the opening w/e and if you're lucky, got the number one spot at the BO.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    I don't know for certain, but my assumption has always been that films open on a Friday to maximise their opening weekend takings, as that's the traditional Box Office yardstick of failure or success (ok, technically the weekend is Sat and Sun, but from Hollywood's p.o.v. Friday also counts). Release a film on a Monday, say, and by the time the weekend rolls around, everyone who really wanted to see it asap a) has already done so and b) if it's crap, word of mouth will have already killed its chances. Release a high-profile film - The Lone Ranger, for e.g. - on a Friday, and by the time everyone starts to realise it's dreadful, you've already taken millions over the opening w/e and if you're lucky, got the number one spot at the BO.

Thank you for your comment it was very informative.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Back in the 70's and I assume before that films opened on a Sunday and ran for seven days or fourteen days if it was a big title like a Bond film. This was before multiplexes when three screens was the most you would find in most cinemas. You would see a film and there would be a trailer for next weeks film. A banner would appear before the trailer saying "Sunday next for seven days". Then sometime in the 80's the opening day changed to Thursday. Not sure exactly when the Friday opening day started. Late 80's I would guess but not sure. Nowadays I notice there are a lot of Wednesday openings or previews on wednesday and thursday presumably because of Orange wednesdays. Not sure if the USA have always had the Friday opening but this is how I remember it over here.
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Back in the 70's and I assume before that films opened on a Sunday and ran for seven days or fourteen days if it was a big title like a Bond film. This was before multiplexes when three screens was the most you would find in most cinemas. You would see a film and there would be a trailer for next weeks film. A banner would appear before the trailer saying "Sunday next for seven days". Then sometime in the 80's the opening day changed to Thursday. Not sure exactly when the Friday opening day started. Late 80's I would guess but not sure. Nowadays I notice there are a lot of Wednesday openings or previews on wednesday and thursday presumably because of Orange wednesdays. Not sure if the USA have always had the Friday opening but this is how I remember it over here.

Thank you for your reply :)
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »

How did this come about?

Woah! I really did mess up this first post I was away out and had to rush it.

It should read:

Does anyone know the origin of Friday being the day most films and cinemas change there times? Why Friday? How did this come about?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »

It usually Friday in the US but in recent years they've started doing Thursday evening previews and Wednesday openings. Studios usually open midweek to maximise but that risks the chance of weakening the Opening weekend.

I find it annoying that they don't separate takings from midweek opening from the weekend takings thus inflating making it that the film was number 1 on the weekend. Animated films usually have previews which are often added on to its official opening the week after,