Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Tony's 'spam' loosed very loose. I little too much like cat/dog food :eek:
    I wonder how much the presentation helped him as the marking was strict tonight

Dog food was the first thing that came to mind with me as well.
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    So judging by what I've read of this thread, I'm in the minority (possibly of one!) that feels that no-one so far has delivered on the brief. Terribly boring, most of it. I feel they should just give Heston a call and have done with it.

I'll get my coat!

What do you expect them to do with the brief that they're not doing?
    Forum Member
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    Yes but would they have the imagination, regardless of time issues. Adam last week could have had a week to finish each dish and they would all have probably still been bereft of any humour, etc. I watched Masterchef the Professionals on recorded tv last night and it was focused on Heston's Fat Duck. The imagination and creativity was inspiring. Lovely Tony this week certainly seems to have the seeds of a wonderful imagination.

The Fat Duck can take over a year to practice a dish before it gets anywhere near the restaurant.
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    I used to work with Michael, incredibly easy going, lets his skills do the talking, hates being called 'chef'. Wish more were like him!

Good to hear. He comes across as very nice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    squadge wrote: »
    Good to hear. He comes across as very nice

He is most of the time 😉 (had forgotten until now that those of you who are newer to this forum won't have seen my previous 'confession' that I'm his sister). Anyway will do my best to avoid comments that are too biased !
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    What do you expect them to do with the brief that they're not doing?

Well, given the broad nature of the brief this year, and the red nose theme, a bit of wit and imagination wouldn't go amiss.
  • mathsbunnymathsbunny Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Looking back, I think you're right.

I think this week has been helped by the absence of Alan Murchison.

From some of the preview clips, it seems there are a few chefs returned who have competed in the past but skipped last years, like Tony and Michael this week.

I think any week is enhanced by the absence of Murchison:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Michael was one of my favourite chefs when he was on last time [two years ago I think]. So handsome, lovely sounding dishes and an apparent warm heart. He comes across as a really great guy... :)

Needless to say, I hope he pulls out some great dishes and stays in the competition. We might not be able to taste the food they cook, but a bit of eye-candy wouldn't go amiss [and Michael definitely provides that]!
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Well, given the broad nature of the brief this year, and the red nose theme, a bit of wit and imagination wouldn't go amiss.

There has been plenty of wit and imagination. Have you been watching?
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngelaS wrote: »
    He is most of the time 😉 (had forgotten until now that those of you who are newer to this forum won't have seen my previous 'confession' that I'm his sister). Anyway will do my best to avoid comments that are too biased !

You can be as biased as you like :)

Do you know how he did? Are you sworn to secrecy?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him x
    Forum Member
    RedHed wrote: »

Do you know how he did? Are you sworn to secrecy?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him x

I know some headlines but not all the detail, for example I knew he was top equal after two courses but not the scores. He cooked the main course (tonight's dish) for 13 of us on Christmas Eve at my mum and dad's. Highly interesting!

Anyway many thanks for your support as it genuinely means a lot to him. I know it's not everyone's favourite brief etc but it's important to him to do his best and to represent his restaurant and Scotland as well as he can.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Tony's done Sunday lunch with a few props. Can't see it scoring well.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much like Mark and his bubblewrap yesterday, it looks as though Tony just stuck the "boulder" on there at the last minute in a desparate attempt to somewhat fulfil the brief.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliaslotte wrote: »
    Michael was one of my favourite chefs when he was on last time [two years ago I think]. So handsome, lovely sounding dishes and an apparent warm heart. He comes across as a really great guy... :)

Needless to say, I hope he pulls out some great dishes and stays in the competition. We might not be able to taste the food they cook, but a bit of eye-candy wouldn't go amiss [and Michael definitely provides that]!
    It looks as if he is through now. He is a very attractive man.
    apaul wrote: »
    Tony's done Sunday lunch with a few props. Can't see it scoring well.
    Much like Mark and his bubblewrap yesterday, it looks as though Tony just stuck the "boulder" on there at the last minute in a desparate attempt to somewhat fulfil the brief.

I am hoping Tony does a super pudding, he was off his game tonight but he has such a lovely character I'd like to see him win.

Sorry to butt in but my old Britsh Menu watching companion doesnt watch any more. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to butt in but my old Britsh Menu watching companion doesnt watch any more. :(

That's a shame, it's always good to have a natter about the show with someone :) The thread seems really quiet this year aswell.

I'm just sitting down to watch now with a hot chocolate and packet of hobnobs - i'm such a party animal!

Hoping the lovely Michael takes the lead back tonight.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, hence me butting in. I wasn't quite as apologetic as you however :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, it's always good to have a natter about the show with someone :) The thread seems really quiet this year aswell.

I'm just sitting down to watch now with a hot chocolate and packet of hobnobs - i'm such a party animal!

Hoping the lovely Michael takes the lead back tonight.
    Thank you. I dont know anybody who watches this now and my husband has vanished with the xbox. :o

You will be happy with the outcome.

Hi. I will stick around if you will. :)
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it just me, or did Angela get more and more glamorous with each shot? By the end she had Barbara Cartland eyes and bright pink lipstick.

And according to the trailer, tomorrow her hair's down...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi!

It's a deal! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did the same because I had no-one to talk to :D
    Thank you. I dont know anybody who watches this now and my husband has vanished with the xbox. :o

You will be happy with the outcome.

None of my friends watch either & it's one of my faves.

I was chuffed for Michael but disappointed for Tony, i would have eaten them both, the meat on both dishes just fell apart and looked lush but Michael's did look spectacular.

AngelaS, did it taste as good as it looks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Was it just me, or did Angela get more and more glamorous with each shot? By the end she had Barbara Cartland eyes and bright pink lipstick.

And according to the trailer, tomorrow her hair's down...
    She is far more glam than she used to be, maybe she has bagged a bloke :D
    Hi!

It's a deal! :)
    See you tomorrow then :)
    I did the same because I had no-one to talk to :D

None of my friends watch either & it's one of my faves.
    I will talk to you, I really need to say "wow look at that", or "oh bother thats rubbish".
    I was chuffed for Michael but disappointed for Tony, i would have eaten them both, the meat on both dishes just fell apart and looked lush but Michael's did look spectacular.

I want Tony to win as he is such fun. I think the snooty judges will pick Michael who has more banquet style food. I won't mind Michael winning as he seems so nice.
    Forum Member

AngelaS, did it taste as good as it looks?

Yes it was yum! Meat was sticky and just fell apart, and the lentil salad thing and yoghurt dip was delicious. But the star was the samosa type things (can't remember what he calls them!). Thought there was going to be a fight over the last couple.

Tony was unlucky - I have a feeling he very nobly stepped in when someone else couldn't make it and so didn't have as much time to prepare. But he has great craic to make up for it !

Think I might stick around too - you guys have good chat 😄
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngelaS wrote: »
    Yes it was yum! Meat was sticky and just fell apart, and the lentil salad thing and yoghurt dip was delicious. But the star was the samosa type things (can't remember what he calls them!). Thought there was going to be a fight over the last couple.

Tony was unlucky - I have a feeling he very nobly stepped in when someone else couldn't make it and so didn't have as much time to prepare. But he has great craic to make up for it !

They all seemed to like the samosa things. poor Tony said that it was the sort of dish he should have cooked,
    Think I might stick around too - you guys have good chat
    Good, we must have enough to form a judging panel by now :)
    Forum Member
    The Sunday Post and The Broons were staples of my childhood growing up :D )

The picture of Tony's Broons strip is on Michael's Twitter (@KiltKuisine) - might also be on Tony's (@McTSingh). It's worth a look for you Broons fans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more the merrier :D and it was a loooong time ago that I worked with Michael!