Aspergers storyline.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would it be interesting if any soap did a character who had Aspergers.Since it worked on shows like The Bridge with Sophia character Saga recently would it work on soaps like Corrie and EE.

Comments

• Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its time they did tackle it. I suffer from Aspergers Syndrome and so I feel proper research and showcasing of the syndrome would draw huge praise and teach The British Public about the issue.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its time they did tackle it. I suffer from Aspergers Syndrome and so I feel proper research and showcasing of the syndrome would draw huge praise and teach The British Public about the issue.

I agree.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been talk for a long time that Roy Cropper has Aspergers - and I think some of the signs are there. It would be a very VERY interesting topic to tackle.
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did EastEnders should cast me after I've had training
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something that means a lot to me and as a soap fan I would love to see this issue tackled sensitively and accurately by a soap. Its relatively unexplored by soaps and could be a 'different' storyline which would connect well with many viewers. :)
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started a course on autism with the OU and it would be good to tackle.

Do you think as a new family coming in with an adult who has it or a current young child being diagnosed to show the family deal with the news and see them adopt new ways of living around the child?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Cropper is clearly autistic.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortland Street has had it with a main character and there was another thread on asexuality and again SS has had that storyline as well.
  • KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but think Tamwar has it in EE
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I think that would be a really good idea if it was portrayed accurately and informatively. I had a friend at college whose son had Aspergers and although I talked to her a lot about it and tried to read up on it a bit, I still don't think I really understand it all that well. I know it can occur to varying degrees, in fact I have a friend who was diagnosed as having mild Aspergers and Autism, but I still don't really think I grapsed the reality of it.

I think syndromes like Aspergers and Autism aren't dissimilar to mental health problems like Schizophrenia in the sense that they are widely misunderstood and stigmatised. If a soap could help to dispel some of the assumptions made about people who have Aspergers then it would be lovely.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should also cast some with aspergers to try and get it more realistic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Home and Away had an Autistic boy in the show around 2002-3, a kid called Mikey IIRC. He wasn't in it very long, and it's so long ago I can't remember much about him. I can remember him running and curling up in a corner during a fire drill. Sally, as his teacher, was really nice to him, and he felt that he'd marry her one day (and struggled when he learnt that Flynn and Sally were engaged).
  • cragsbycragsby Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Asperger's Syndrome and would love to see a soap tackle this issue properly. :)

I do think Roy from Corrie is a good example of that but it's never been made official that he has it.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hello. :) I have Aspergers too. It would be interesting if they did introduce a character that had it. It would also be quite interesting to see how the actor or actress portrayed the character.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortland Street has had it with a main character and there was another thread on asexuality and again SS has had that storyline as well.

I didn't know that. I do remember that SS was on ITV1 during the 1990s. I used to really love the theme tune that was played over the end credits. Funnily enough, I've just found it on YouTube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOmOKL2WME&feature=relmfu

Hope it brings back some good memories. SS should now be released onto DVD in the UK. It been a while since the first DVDs came out in the UK. Over twelve years now, I think, and as of yet, nothing.

Come on one of you DVD companies, pick up the programme and release it, please!
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,443
    Forum Member
    I have Aspergers and I think that a character with Aspergers on a soap would be great and if done right will help people to learn about Aspergers and autism. It would also help remove the Stigma that Aspergers has.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have Asperger's too and would like to see a character with Asperger's in a soap.

Hopefully they could show someone who has the problems associated with Asperger's rather than the savant or genius type.
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have asperges and would like to see a UK soap tackle a storyline, although the actress that plays Gabrielle in Shortland Street really did do wonders on the storyline itself and looked like it had been properly researched :)
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    They should also cast some with aspergers to try and get it more realistic.

If they are an actor, with aspergers then yes. But they shouldn't just pick someone off the street with the syndrome when their are many good actors who would give a role like that their all and make sure it's realistic.

David Neilson, who plays Roy Cropper has said that although it isn't in the script that Roy is aspergers, he plays him like that because he took inspiration from a group of aspergers people his wife worked with.
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheButler wrote: »
    Home and Away had an Autistic boy in the show around 2002-3, a kid called Mikey IIRC. He wasn't in it very long, and it's so long ago I can't remember much about him. I can remember him running and curling up in a corner during a fire drill. Sally, as his teacher, was really nice to him, and he felt that he'd marry her one day (and struggled when he learnt that Flynn and Sally were engaged).

Mikey was really funny the way he used to call Angie, Trangela and also he climbed on the roof because Nick told him he could fly like a bird.
  • kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    I would love to see this and Sudden Adult Death Syndrome being addressed.

I am ignorant when it comes to both topics and find it easier to learn via what I watch than what I read.
    But it needs to be thoroughly researched, made as realistic as possible with the proper care and support provided after each episode.
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Aspergers and would love too be on a soap so im going to get traning when im more confident
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tehe, ass burgers. :D
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    They wouldn't do it justice. It would just be a vehicle for cheap storylines.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always seemed very likely that Roy Cropper has Asperger's. In answer to those who've pointed out that it's never actually been stated, he's probably never been diagnosed, either because the condition was less well known when he was a child or because it was never felt to be necessary. Although it would be interesting to have a more 'explicit' storyline/character, it's good that over the years he's become accepted as someone with his own personality traits without the need to apply labels. On the other hand, in real life, I wonder if someone in the street wouid have speculated as to whether he has Asperger's or not?