Milton Keynes analogue cable TV

N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello.
Does anyone know the UHF channels on which Milton Keynes analogue cable TV operates?
Thanks.

Comments

• joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Hello.
    Does anyone know the UHF channels on which Milton Keynes analogue cable TV operates?
    Thanks.
    It has stopped operating now
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    it has done for quite some time.

I do wonder what the situation is like now. There are some blocks of flats especially in Southampton that are under listed buildings.

Those places didn't have an Arial and as such used the free UHF channels on virgins network. I wonder now if those buildings now have either got permission to have a community arial / satellite or theres some agreement by virgin to supply boxes such as the V HD to access package M?

my old box had a special bypasser fitted to the back, it was connected to both cable in and UHF out and you plugged your cable in to it and your tv to it. it allowed all the free stuff to operate even if the box was off.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    It is a cable system. It does not broadcast on UHF channels.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. Thanks.

A resident was telling last week that he gets some channels through the cable connection, with his TV set to analogue. He gets some channels through the aerial, with the TV set to digital. When he combines the two inputs ( to avoid swapping cables ), the digital input does not work. I suspect that the analogue cable system uses at least one frequency which is also used by Sandy Heath freeview.

Perhaps a resident of MK could check the channel numbers.
    Thank you.
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Milton Keynes cable is still going, and it does offer some channels in the range that TVs can tune to

However I don't know what the UHF channels are
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is a cable system. It does not broadcast on UHF channels.

it did, on analogue cable I think the main channels ran on a mixture of UHF / VHF, with local TV being 'fed' in.

Some IDTV's do have a DVB-C tuner, and it can scan in VM channels however this is entirely against any T&C's of virgin media
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for trying, everyone.
    If anyone does find the frequencies sometime, I would be pleased to know them.
    Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Hello.
    Thanks.

what network is that on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I don't understand the question.
    The CATV system in MK uses PAL analogue signals on the UHF TV band to carry TV signals to viewers' houses.
    What do you mean by "network"?
  • paulhgcpaulhgc Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    what network is that on?

VIRGIN
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what network is that on?

An old analogue network build in the 60's. Originally owned by BT but operated under some sort of lease arrangement with VM.

Basically, it is outdated infrastructure with neither company having any incentive to fund an upgrade.
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    An old analogue network build in the 60's. Originally owned by BT but operated under some sort of lease arrangement with VM.

Basically, it is outdated infrastructure with neither company having any incentive to fund an upgrade.

wat was the bt cable system like?
    was it a good system?
    how many channels was there?
    was the picture and sound any good?
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wat was the bt cable system like?
    was it a good system?
    how many channels was there?
    was the picture and sound any good?

About as good as you could expect from an analogue cable system built in the 60s. Milton Keynes planning regulations did not allow residents to have rooftop aerials, the cable system was provided as an alternative.
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    About as good as you could expect from an analogue cable system built in the 60s. Milton Keynes planning regulations did not allow residents to have rooftop aerials, the cable system was provided as an alternative.

ok,fair enough
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the analogue cable plug gets pulled next week as Virgin will no longer provide such a service in Milton Keynes which ends analogue cable in MK from the 1970s
    Forum Member
    Well the analogue cable plug gets pulled next week as Virgin will no longer provide such a service in Milton Keynes which ends analogue cable in MK from the 1970s

was it still operating? you guys must have been the only ones left!

I guess southampton was lucky when they did our upgrades.