What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    angiebroch wrote: »
    Last night I finished reading Shut Your Eyes Tight by John Verdon and it was absolutely brilliant. There's a twist at the end which I didn't see coming...genius!!! I'm now going to look for Think of A Number, the 1st Dave Gurney book.

And on a different note...today I started Lady of The Rivers byPhilippa Gregory, an author who I really love.

Nothing like a bit of variety!

Might look out for that as i quite liked the first one. :)
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently reading Gone Girl - let's see what the hype is all about.
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to read the 6 shortlisted book for the 'Booker Prize', so I am currently halfway through 'The Lighthouse' by Alison Moore.

It is a short enough book and seems simplistic, but it has, in my view many hidden depths. I am enjoying it which is much, much more than I can say for one of the other short-listed books - 'Umbrella' by Will Self which I abandoned last week, 176 pages in due to the fact I couldn't make head nor tail of.

I'll almost never abandon a book, but had to with that one has I had to force myself to read even a paragraph each night in bed - so many good books to read, which waste time on one that you don't find enjoyable

Going away for a few days so next is up is 'Next of Kin' by John Boyne, who wrote 'THe Boy in the Striped Pyjama's'.
    Forum Member
    Currently reading Gone Girl - let's see what the hype is all about.

Just finished this. Let us know what you think
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    so many good books to read, which waste time on one that you don't find enjoyable

I now follow that motto. I used to be unable to not finish a book despite how bad it was but now I just abandon a bad book and move on. :D
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    I now follow that motto. I used to be unable to not finish a book despite how bad it was but now I just abandon a bad book and move on. :D

I do most of my reading in bed at night and now if I know if a book isn't for me, if I want to watch telly and not read it. I have to be drawn into a book - eager to know what happens next move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started The little coffee shop of Kabul,it has started well so I hope It keeps me interested,i have given up on that many lately I need something I can finish.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80 pages in on Sanctus by Simon Toyne.
  • Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chosen One by Sam Bourne. It is much better than I thought it might be.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Jonathan Swift's "Gullivers Travels" .on my list of classics to read .... I can see why its so highly regarded and a trailblazer for novels/books in the adventure/traveller genre. Seen by many as a children's book .. Can't see many kids these days joining Gulliver on his travels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished the latest Harry Hole "Phantom" by Jo Nesbo. To enjoy the Harry Hole novels, one must read them in sequence. The full force of "Phantom" will only be appreciated by doing that.
    Forum Member
    Casey Kelleher- Rise and Fall
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've finished The Expats by Chris Pavone and have written about it on the other thread. I'm never sure whether to write an opinion on one, or the other, or both threads.

I'm about to start 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster. Edward is 39 years old, lives alone and has Asperger's Syndrome.

I am in the middle of this and I'm really enjoying it. It's gently funny and makes a lovely change from the many formulaic crime novels I read.

It reminds me a little bit of 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night', which I also enjoyed.

Coincidentally I also just finished 'Expats' too - it was OK but I wasn't overly impressed. By the time all the layers of confusion finally unravelled, I didn't really care what the ending was.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started Long Walk to Freedom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Jasper Fforde didnt let me down and Unravelling was a great addition to the YA genre.

Now I'm reading

Print Book: Trick of the Dark - Val Mcdermid
    Kindle: Hushabye by Celina Grace.

Enjoying both!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just finished The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window. Really enjoyed it.

Now onto Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished this. Let us know what you think

I enjoyed it, probably one of the most enjoyable books I've read this year. I'm not sure it's the most amazing book I've ever read but I would seek out more by the author :)
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sit Down And Cheer - Martin Kelner
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Cinderella Moment - Gemma Fox
    A case of mistaken identity in multitudes, bungling private detectives, a chance meeting with a handsome man on a train, leads to all sorts of trouble.
    I found this, a bit of giggle, despite that I didn't think I'd like it, but definetly a story to cheer you up.
    Takes place in and around Brighton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read Thomas Love Peacock's "Nightmare Abbey" in one sitting. Really enjoyed it. A pioneering satire of gothic/romantic novels of the early 19th century .. slightly mocking Byron and Shelley etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished John Lanchester's "Capital" .. Don't be put off by the title .. yes the credit-crunch is a central theme but several enjoyable intertwined tales of people residing and working in the fictional leafy Pepys Road in London - and who is behind the mysterious We Want What You've Got campaign ?
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished The Shadow Prince - a story about Richard of York/Perkin Warbeck. I found it rather boring to be honest

I'm just about to start The Queens Promise by Lyn Andrews - a story about Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I started to read it after watching the Sheila Hancock programme about the Bronte's. I thought it would be a bit of a hard read but I have been pleasantly surprised and I am totally hooked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Jack London's Call of the Wild ... works on several levels ..3 out of 5
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Sheila Hancock's programme about the Brontes.