The Iron Lady

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have yet to check out the trailer but i would like to see this film. Im 25 so was not old enough to remember the Thatcher years but i studied it as it is an era that fasinates me so i will go and see this
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    I completely understand that people who lived during the Thatcher era would not want too see this film and it's completely reasonable, however being just 15 and not having lived through the Thatcher era, I can say it looks like a very good film and I look forward too seeing it. Despite what some people are saying I think it looks like Meryl gives a great performance- as always :D

I lived through the Thatcher years and will definitely go and see this film
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the likes of "The Deal" "The Special Relationship" and "The Queen," many times. I'm not a Thatcher fan either, but the chances are I'll enjoy this aswell - a natural interest.
  • AndyLouPandyAndyLouPandy Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    This is one film that won't be watched in our house, her name can't even be mentioned without the hubby and I arguing (he loves her, I hate her!)
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first read the thread title - I though this was going to be a spin off movie from Iron man........
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd see it if it was the spitting image puppet rather than the awful Meryl, at a push Steve Nallon who would do a better job than Meryl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxO4t46jItw
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    I cant stand Thatcher either but this looks good.
    Downfall was a great film about a rather unpleasant chap and I cant see any rationale in your comments.

Does Downfall portray Adolf as a hero of the German people? If not then I can't see your 'rationale'. ;)

I wonder if they will even bother to show this film in Scottish theatres.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for this
    But early screenings have been negative.
    Doubtless there's still enough Thatcher sycophants in the media to spin this into the positive.

(oh, the irony).
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubtless there's still enough Thatcher sycophants in the media to spin this into the positive.

(oh, the irony).

Outside of Streep I think the casting is a little odd, mind. Anthony Head as Geoffrey Howe and Richard E Grant as Heseltine? That almost says parody to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Does Downfall portray Adolf as a hero of the German people? If not then I can't see your 'rationale'. ;)

I wonder if they will even bother to show this film in Scottish theatres.

When did you see The Iron Lady then?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miles_T wrote: »
    I'd see it if it was the spitting image puppet rather than the awful Meryl, at a push Steve Nallon who would do a better job than Meryl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxO4t46jItw

Considering Meryl streep is the best actress alive today, do you have any reasons to why she is awful. She hasn't gotten 16 oscar nominations from being awful. She is without a doubt one of the most talented actresses to have ever lived.

I am not disrespect your opinion but there are no facts to prove she is awful. She is everything young actresses today are not. She is everything on what any Male/Female actor should be.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering Meryl streep is the best actress alive today, do you have any reasons to why she is awful. She hasn't gotten 16 oscar nominations from being awful. She is without a doubt one of the most talented actresses to have ever lived.

I am not disrespect your opinion but there are no facts to prove she is awful. She is everything young actresses today are not. She is everything on what any Male/Female actor should be.

I agree, Meryl is amazing :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not like the music they used, but it is stuck in my head.
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, can't wait to see this

The few clips I've seen.... WOW!!!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read a couple of reviews and I'm glad it's as good as it's potential.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this can work for Americans but the casting seems like a spoof.

The trailer is actually funny, like a comedy sketch on 'Big Train'. RoboThatcher - Killer PM
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard it's not suitable for miners ;-)
  • gagaaddictgagaaddict Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has received good reviews.

One thing that puzzles me is why the UK is one of the latest to receive it. We get it January the 7th (or the 12th) and America and other countries get it mid/end December :confused:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    New, improved, soft soap trailer. Now with added Falklands footage:

"..the horror....the horror..."

Looks absolutely f*cking dreadful.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    It looks hilarious, unintentionally so I assume.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gagaaddict wrote: »
    It has received good reviews.

One thing that puzzles me is why the UK is one of the latest to receive it. We get it January the 7th (or the 12th) and America and other countries get it mid/end December :confused:

America is getting it on 13th January, the release on 26th December is 'limited' (meaning about 5 cinemas in New York City and Los Angeles to qualify it as a 2011 film for Oscar)

I'd suspect the reason we're not getting it on Boxing Day is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would hammer it.
  • gagaaddictgagaaddict Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when do we get it then? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gagaaddict wrote: »
    So when do we get it then? :confused:

January 6th.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Firstly, does this film in any way seek to portray her in a positive sycophantic light? Do we know enough about it to come to that conclusion. If it is balanced, which I sincerely hope it is then I have to question the behaviour of some posters on this thread, the oh i'll never watch it in my house contingent. I have to totally agree with the poster Wetherby on page 1. I too watched Der Untergang (Downfall) a couple of years ago but it didn't mean that I am an avid follower of the nutter. I watched it from a historical point of view and because I had heard great things about it. I see some posters are calling this a comedy because of the daft casting. We are talking Meryl Streep here. Some so called cinemaphiles here need to have a word with themselves.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    America is getting it on 13th January, the release on 26th December is 'limited' (meaning about 5 cinemas in New York City and Los Angeles to qualify it as a 2011 film for Oscar)

I'd suspect the reason we're not getting it on Boxing Day is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would hammer it.

The English language remake? You are probably right. It is sad really that some foreign language originals ever needed re-making so soon after just because various people can't be doing with subtitles.

As an aside, why did Trent Reznor have to redo the Immigrant Song fgs?