Is there any point to bargain hunt?

scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
Forum Member
I know the show is just a bit of fun but the teams very rarely make a profit. Todays show one team made a loss of over 150 quid.

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this where teams buy over-priced junk at antiques fairs at "retail" and try to sell them at "wholesale" at poorly attended auction houses and want to make a profit?

Daft premise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch the programme but the chances of making a profit (although on rare occasions it has been done) are so slim that it's almost a foregone conclusion they will make a big loss.

Buying stuff at dealers markets where they will attempt to extract the higest possible profit from you and then trying to flog it at auction where the same dealers try to buy at the lowest possible price is not a recipe for good TV.

The ones in Portobello Road where they double the money given to the players is a huge joke. One of the most expensive places to buy anything in the country and then trying to sell it for profit is a joke.
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watch it when it happens to be on, but the last couple of times I've seen it one of the teams has won the equivalent of 'the golden gavel' award (these days a badge) for getting a profit on all their choices; it doesn't seem to happen very often though :D
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's had it's day, poor presenter and a waste of funding, and I see Wonnacott is also on Antiques Roadshow, how on earth did that moron get on AR but then again the simpleton muppet with the me,me,me personality Fiona Fcuking Bruce has already ruined it for me anyway.

Who is that sleeping with to get so much work at the BBC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's had it's day, poor presenter and a waste of funding, and I see Wonnacott is also on Antiques Roadshow, how on earth did that moron get on AR but then again the simpleton muppet with the me,me,me personality Fiona Fcuking Bruce has already ruined it for me anyway.

Who is that sleeping with to get so much work at the BBC?

Fiona Bruce is paid a lot of money by the BBC so it's more cost effective to use her as often as possible, whether you like her or not.
    The self-effacing Michael Aspel, mainly appeared to "top and tail" the Antiques Road Show, "Fiona Fcuking Bruce" as you call her, (I call her Meerkat Face) can be grinning at you with arms outstretched as many as six times on that programme. I record it and fast forward through her unnecessary presence.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the show is just a bit of fun but the teams very rarely make a profit. Todays show one team made a loss of over 150 quid.

Doh ! It's a game show !

Only a tiny minority of those taking part win money on game shows and quizzes like Pointless, The Chase, Weakest Link, Etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh ! It's a game show !

Only a tiny minority of those taking part win money on game shows and quizzes like Pointless, The Chase, Weakest Link, Etc.

The most significant point is that it's likely to be a relatively cheap to produce programme.
    Where networks find any that are reasonably successful, they start to clone them.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I quite like it. It doesn't have to have a point!
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Bruce is paid a lot of money by the BBC so it's more cost effective to use her as often as possible, whether you like her or not.
    The self-effacing Michael Aspel, mainly appeared to "top and tail" the Antiques Road Show, "Fiona Fcuking Bruce" as you call her, (I call her Meerkat Face) can be grinning at you with arms outstretched as many as six times on that programme. I record it and fast forward through her unnecessary presence.

From next week we intend to record it, :D
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate when the expert values an item for say £50, he asks "How much does the dealer want for it? "£100" is say the answer. The contestant comes back and says "I got it for £70!" "Well done!" says the expert & they go on to lose £20. :confused:
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love bargain hunt, it's one of my fave day time tv programmes
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point of Bargain Hunt is that it allows daytime TV junkies to avoid Loose Women.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like learning about the different things they look at/buy and just the general spirit of it.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree OP, it's a load of boring pointless shite
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Bargain Hunt. It is great fun and there's a bit of education thrown in too. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great idea- I do the same thing with Bargain Hunt and skip the bits that only feature Tim.
  • floppydogfloppydog Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too love watching to learn about different items.
    Have James Lewis and Paul Laidlaw as the experts and Anita Mnning as the auctioneer and there is always a few quid to be made.
    Some of the other auctioneers start with ridiculous prices for things eg £20 for something costing over £100.
    Anita always asks well over the odds and never comes down to very low prices, her enthusiasm and explanations helps the bidders. I love it when she stands up on the podium, you know there is a bidder war starting.

Some of the so called experts dont really seem to grasp what is going on, Thomas Plant and the Jonathon Pratt are two that immediately spring to mind. Phillip Serrell is past his sell by date and losing his touch now. Charles Hanson drives me insane but I think he is infectious.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    I love Bargain Hunt. It is great fun and there's a bit of education thrown in too. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

sigh, ok, thanks for the great advice
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cheap to produce and therefore airtime can be filled for minimum cost. In addition, it is perfect daytime TV fodder as it is based on the principle that viewers can be fed the dream of making money whilst having no talent or qualifications.
  • cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarot wrote: »
    I only watch it when it happens to be on, but the last couple of times I've seen it one of the teams has won the equivalent of 'the golden gavel' award (these days a badge) for getting a profit on all their choices; it doesn't seem to happen very often though :D

I saw one programme last week where both teams were all in profit and got the badges!! Lol:D
  • cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try and catch BH on my days off, I enjoy watching it.
  • Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Agree OP, it's a load of boring pointless shite

So why do you watch it?
  • Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    'Is there any point to bargain hunt?'

In that case, is there any point to 95% of the programmes on TV?
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this where teams buy over-priced junk at antiques fairs at "retail" and try to sell them at "wholesale" at poorly attended auction houses and want to make a profit?

Daft premise

Therin lies the point of the game, the players have to seek out (or "hunt") items that have been significantly undervalued by the retailers (or a "bargain").
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Therin lies the point of the game, the players have to seek out (or "hunt") items that have been significantly undervalued by the retailers (or a "bargain").

Like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqM_7xEi1_s&feature=related