Gareth Gates- Past his sell by date?

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is a lot of money to be made from cruise ships. at least it is work for him. i`m sure it will be entertaining for the passengers.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth Gates- Past his sell by date?

Yes. About 8 years ago.
  • dodgyONEdodgyONE Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Past his sell by date? I will have you know that Gareth was Mr Battle at the 2011 Jersey Battle of Flowers last week. He did a sterling job standing on that float with Miss Jersey waving to crowd. :D

http://www.battleofflowers.com/section/13/index.html
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really a fan of Gareths but it does my head in when people criticise others for performing on cruise ships or at holiday camps etc. At least they're still earning and still doing what they love. It doesn't make them desperate or "past their sell by date". It makes them hard workers and I think it's brilliant that Gareth (like many celebrities would) doesn't think that he's above working in cruise ships.
  • Charisma2Charisma2 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it, there are very few opportunities for a singer to perform these days. Hardly any programs on TV, Radio 1 is a closed shop unless you're 12 or a rapper. So unless you are actually promoting an album and get to perform on the few shows there are left on TV what choice have you got of getting heard. Unless of course you're someone whose been around for 40 years. Those are the ones who have passed their sell by date and those opportunities should imo be given to younger talent instead.

I personally would have preferred Gareth to have taken one of the offers he's had to do another musical, after the enjoyment its given his fans over the last 3 years, but he obviously wants to make some more of his own music, so good luck to him. It will be hard, but I applaud him for having the guts to have a go and for being prepared to do what it takes to get a foot back in the pop music door. If it doesn't work out for him, he can always go back to what he's been doing so well for the last 3 years and after the acclaim he's received I don't think that would be too difficult for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    In the meantime, Gareth is on Radio 2 tonight, as they are rerunning the "Friday Night is Music Night" he recorded last year as part of the Les Miserables 25th anniversary celebrations. :D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0131sk7

Thanks. I listened to this again. Gareth really does have a tremendous voice for musical theatre. Hopefully he'll be back on the west end stage soon, but in the meantime this was a great reminder of how good he was in Les Mis .

The programme will be on listen again for another week http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00sfwjl
  • AstonvilsAstonvils Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    A lot of professional singers dream of getting a gig on a cruise ship
    A lot of people dream of being a professional singer
    A lot of people dream of a leading role in a West End musical with critical acclaim
    A lot of people dream of international number ones and multi-platinum albums
    A lot of people dream of headlining arena tours
    A lot of people dream of travelling the world
    A lot of people dream of owning a nice house in London
    A lot of people dream of buying their parents a nice house
    A lot of people dream of setting up their own businesses to give something back
    Gareth's done all of those, and then some more. It's a lot more than "doing OK" by any reasonable definition and a hell of a lot better than his many critics predicted.
    and still continue to predict!
    He appears to have an ongoing successful career in his chosen field, so no, I would say he's one of life's winners
    I agree Shizuku. He certainly is.
    In the meantime, Gareth is on Radio 2 tonight, as they are rerunning the "Friday Night is Music Night" he recorded last year as part of the Les Miserables 25th anniversary celebrations.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0131sk7
    Blimey that must be about the third time they have aired the programme. Quite obviously a popular choice.

Must admit to loving Gareth in the Les Mis Role. Wonder which part he will play next?
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charisma, I don't think it's a case of Gareth having the option to go back to musicals. He said he loves them, and definitely intends to do more. It's just that they are a bit time committment, so wants to have a bit of freedom and variety in his work for a few months.

The theatre websites were saying he was offered Fiyero in Wicked, and I'd have liked to have seen him in that, but I think next cast change might be too early for him. I'd love to see him do that, but I like him doing his own music too. Can't have everything.:(

For anyone who missed it, here's the link for the Friday Night is Music Night Les Miserables special that was on Radio 2 on Friday starring Gareth. It's also got John Owen-Jones, who was voted the best ever Jean Valjean, who is another great singer worth a listen to. :) The interviews in the middle section are very interesting to anyone who is a fan of the show. It's good to hear Cameron Mackintosh still excited about the show after 25 years.

Edits: missed Sybil's post with this link, but it really is a good episode worthy of multiple listens. My only concern is at the end they try to recreate "Do you hear the people sing", normally sung by a cast of around thirty, with just four people, and no-one singing the bass line!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charisma, I don't think it's a case of Gareth having the option to go back to musicals. He said he loves them, and definitely intends to do more. It's just that they are a bit time committment, so wants to have a bit of freedom and variety in his work for a few months.

The theatre websites were saying he was offered Fiyero in Wicked, and I'd have liked to have seen him in that, but I think next cast change might be too early for him.

Yes, you're right, I probably worded that incorrectly. I don't blame him one bit for wanting a break from it though. No matter how much he loves it, eight shows a week for almost 3 years, is quite a commitment and I would think it will be great for him to have a change for a while. Also he'll be fresher when he does return to whatever he does decide to do.

I too would have liked him to take the part in Wicked, but he obviously thought diffferently. Another part I'd love to see him do, is Chris in Miss Saigon if that ever gets reprised. I've heard him sing some of the songs and he's absolutely perfect for them. His Why God Why is amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charisma2 wrote: »
    Another part I'd love to see him do, is Chris in Miss Saigon if that ever gets reprised. I've heard him sing some of the songs and he's absolutely perfect for them. His Why God Why is amazing.

You mean this? http://youtu.be/jrwnPsh_Ey8

:D:D

There are rumours that Cameron wants to revive Miss Saigon, possibly giving it the same treatment Les Miserables got for its 25th anniversary. I'd probably prefer Gareth to do that than Fiyero.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Charisma2 wrote: »
    Obviously someone who has no idea that his wife and child were there watching both the gigs Gareth did last weekend and any other gig that is appropriate to take a two year old child to. Gareth is so proud of little Missy he dedicated one of the songs he sang to her at the gig he did on Sunday.

Didn't he recently cheat on his wife? :rolleyes:
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol cruise ship work pays shedloads! Most of the dancers on Strictly do cruise ship work and I'd say they're more relevant to pop culture atm than Gareth, no one says they are past it! That's because they're doing what entertainers do, going out and entertaining. Lots of stars from the musicals appear on cruise ships too, my parents have seen someone from Les Mis twice on two different cruise ships.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably prefer Gareth to do that than Fiyero.

Me too. Hope it happens. If Cameron wants it, it probably will.
  • AstonvilsAstonvils Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Must admit to loving Gareth in the Les Mis Role. Wonder which part he will play next?
    Forgive me for quoteing myself;)

Would love Fiyero in Wicked but Yes Yes Yes to Chris in Miss Saigon.

You mean this? http://youtu.be/jrwnPsh_Ey8

Come on Cameron Mackintosh start reviving!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you liked that, you might also like this one. It's a duet of "Last Night of the World" with Ima Castro from the same concert. http://youtu.be/XVynsK8Fkns

No Gareth this time, but if you like Miss Saigon, and are waiting for it to come back, the ensemble also did "The Heat is on in Saigon"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HrWyvKnaY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link just listening to Gareth now re "Why God Why"
    FANTASTIC!!! talk about an alround entertainer "River in the Rain" just starting ,Never heard this before but sounds great!!!!!
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,363
    Forum Member
    Gareth Gates isn't really my cup of tea but as others have said, at least he is doing his job and not sat on his backside complaining about other people oweing him a living.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    who is he?
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nheaney wrote: »
    who is he?

Runner up to Will Young in Pop Idol. Had some chart success. After a while away, he's made something of a 'comeback' in West End musicals (Joseph & His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Les Miserables).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Who says he is a "lovely, hardworking guy". He has been married three years and has had two affairs, it's not surprising his wife is getting rid of him. he needs to keep his zipper tightly closed! He is not a lovely guy in my eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    At least he's not sat whinging like Steve Brookstein.

LMAO!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand him!!
    He can't sing either ;)

I once saw him in London, he drank so much Budweiser & red wine you'd have thought it going out of fashion and smoked a lot of cigarettes :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    He has written a sob story in OK magazine, how he is heartbroken etc and how he misses his daughter. He should have thought about that when messing with Faye Brookes and Katie Hall (2 affairs). One still going on.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I always wonder why some people dig up threads that are over a year old- especially when the poster only ever comments on one person. Friend of his wife perhaps????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Gareth Gates is on holiday at the moment with his Mistress - Faye Brookes.

Is he divorced?