Are windows 7 laptop being phased out in shops?

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen a few windows 8 laptops while I was in john lewis the other day, and I've just been checking out their website (along with pcworld) and I've noticed that almost all their laptops are being shown with the new windows 8 screen.

So, when abouts do you think retailers would stop selling any windows 7 laptops/netbooks? if I prefer having windows 7 (because apparently windows 8 isn't so good), do you think I should get a laptop now rather than wait until the summer of next year?

I can't remember what happened with windows xp and vista. All I remember is that vista was overwhelmingly given a bad rep by reviewers and users in general. So back then, were shops still selling windows xp laptop even years after vista was released?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, of course they are.

Unless the industry decides that W8 is a total disaster they will keep pushing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I've seen a few windows 8 laptops while I was in john lewis the other day, and I've just been checking out their website (along with pcworld) and I've noticed that almost all their laptops are being shown with the new windows 8 screen.

So, when abouts do you think retailers would stop selling any windows 7 laptops/netbooks? if I prefer having windows 7 (because apparently windows 8 isn't so good), do you think I should get a laptop now rather than wait until the summer of next year?

I can't remember what happened with windows xp and vista. All I remember is that vista was overwhelmingly given a bad rep by reviewers and users in general. So back then, were shops still selling windows xp laptop even years after vista was released?

So to quote you "(because apparently windows 8 isn't so good)" so someone told you that and, you have`nt tried it, how can you go off the word of others, try it, you may just like it, live up to your username, say "YES".
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, but is it possible to downgrade to windows 7 after buying a windows 8 netbook?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    ok, but is it possible to downgrade to windows 7 after buying a windows 8 netbook?

Yes you could, but you have to remember that Win 8 is simply Win 7+, if you really did`nt like it you could always get Classic Shell (Free) then you will not see the start screen or the apps and you will have the start botton Win 7.
    I was`nt going to mention a netbook, but, why anyone would want a netbook is beyond me, but I suppose it`s personal preference. I was`nt going to have Win 8 but I have a slate computer, like a laptop but with the touch and folding screen, In actually like Win 8, but at it`s heart it`s really Win 7, hence I added the plus.
    BTW, I like the username and it was a great film.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heikoworld wrote: »
    Yes you could, but you have to remember that Win 8 is simply Win 7+, if you really did`nt like it you could always get Classic Shell (Free) then you will not see the start screen or the apps and you will have the start botton Win 7.
    I was`nt going to mention a netbook, but, why anyone would want a netbook is beyond me, but I suppose it`s personal preference. I was`nt going to have Win 8 but I have a slate computer, like a laptop but with the touch and folding screen, In actually like Win 8, but at it`s heart it`s really Win 7, hence I added the plus.
    BTW, I like the username and it was a great film.

I'm only getting a netbook because I like the great portability, long battery life and most importantly, I'm not going to be doing much with it apart from browsing the web, watching some videos on my bed or on the sofa (I don't mind the small screen), and some occasional typing on microsoft word. I have a desktop for anything more I need. So netbooks are the best value for me don't you agree?

anyway you said I could downgrade, is this option included in all windows 8 computers or would I have to purchase windows 7?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only getting a netbook because I like the great portability, long battery life and most importantly, I'm not going to be doing much with it apart from browsing the web, watching some videos on my bed or on the sofa (I don't mind the small screen), and some occasional typing on microsoft word. I have a desktop for anything more I need. So netbooks are the best value for me don't you agree?

anyway you said I could downgrade, is this option included in all windows 8 computers or would I have to purchase windows 7?

For all those uses, win8 would be perfect!
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Generally speak yes*. Its only Windows 8 Pro that provides downgrade rights though, so if its the regular Windows 8 (which is almost certainly going to be the case for consumer laptops/netbooks) you will need to have your own copy of Windows 7 and licence key to hand.

*As time goes on drivers may become more difficult to source, but for current devices its unlikely to be a problem.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, when abouts do you think retailers would stop selling any windows 7 laptops/netbooks?

As soon as they run out of stock.

Microsoft is well known for immediately stopping supply of the previous OS to computer manufacturers as soon as they release the next version.

If you really want Windows 7, find a model of computer you like pretty quickly, and buy it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Stop worrying W8 will work perfectly for you, especially for the uses you say you state you want.
    Whoever told you it was no good actually meant that they didn't like it. :rolleyes: My guess is that you will find W8 better than W7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your guess is just that, a guess. More people that are used to using XP or 7 hate windows 8, than like it.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Laptop sales have taken a bit of a hit recently so retailers are obviously keen to put Windows 8 on them and portray them as a big upgrade from the previous generation of laptops.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 when it was released. I really like it now I've got used to it.

I now have Windows 7 and 8, plus Linux and a Mac at home. At work, I use a mixture of Windows XP, Windows 7 and Vista, as well as Linux, depending on which project I'm working on. I spend most of my time developing in either Java or Python, so the actual OS is not relevant most of the time.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the aversion to Windows 8. In my eyes, it's all down to the age old adage of "People don't like change."

Apart from the lack of the Start menu and the new Metro design, nothing else has changed. Everything works the same way as before. I much prefer Windows 8 - especially on a touch screen device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody 'gets' windows 8 for tablets. It's non-touchscreen devices that seem pointless.

I just don't see the point for business users. I mean, who wants to sit looking at live tiles all day? We are far too busy at work for that.

A live tile bar on one side of the screen might have been a better idea. Then you can get on with clearing your backlog of actual work and glance across at a few useful live tiles now and again.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it comes with Windows 8 on, you might have some serious issues running Windows 8 on a netbook, the metro apps do not like the resolutions that netbooks typically use and just will not load them.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    As soon as they run out of stock.

Microsoft is well known for immediately stopping supply of the previous OS to computer manufacturers as soon as they release the next version.

If you really want Windows 7, find a model of computer you like pretty quickly, and buy it.

They don't stop supply. Laptops are loaded with OEM versions by the OEM's.

You can still specify XP on a new Dell laptop if you really want it.

Most businesses are in the process of upgrading to Windows 7 at the moment.

Dell will supply Windows 7 OEM for as long as their customers demand it. There seems no reason to opt for Win8 and plenty of reasons not to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For home consumers yes Windows 7 will be gradually phased out.

For business wiil take longer depending on business needs.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Loobster wrote: »
    Your guess is just that, a guess. More people that are used to using XP or 7 hate windows 8, than like it.

My dad uses W7 and he doesn't like Windows 8. He said it was rubbish unless you were using a touchscreen and Windows 7 does what he wants it to do.
    For business wiil take longer depending on business needs.

I doubt W8 and its tacky live tiles will ever be taken seriously in the business world :p Some businesses are still on XP and are probably only now upgrading to W7!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be right in the fact busineesses are just upgrading to W7 in a minority i think but W8 will come eventually you know that and i run mac osx mountain lion and not impressed really on windows vs mac wars.

That is all i have to say sorry and merry christmas.
    Forum Member

You can still specify XP on a new Dell laptop if you really want it.
    Microsoft put a stop to that a while ago. If you want to downgrade to XP you still can (providing you choose Win7 Pro*) but you would need a Dell XP disk and would have to load it on yourself. Basically the OEM is no longer allowed to supply pre-downgraded XP systems like they did previously.

Note that under OEM licence terms you cannot downgrade to XP from Windows 8 Pro, only to Vista or 7.

Microsoft are determined to have as few people as possible still using Windows XP come Spring 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dell will supply Windows 7 OEM for as long as their customers demand it. There seems no reason to opt for Win8 and plenty of reasons not to.

No.

OEMs have an agreement with Microsoft for distribution of OEM software.

Those agreements expire, and MS can refuse to allow OEMs to supply 'legacy' OSs on their new PCs (and they do).

You haven't been able to buy a new Dell computer preloaded with XP for some time now (at least not from Dell). I guess there may be some very old stock but still 'new' computers hanging around out there somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    If you want to downgrade to XP you still can (providing you choose Win7 Pro*) but you would need a Dell XP disk and would have to load it on yourself.

Also, if the SLIC table in your 'designed for windows 7' BIOS is non-cooperative, it may also not pre-activate your copy of XP and you may have to phone microsoft, give them your 7 Pro key from your COA and they give you an XP Pro key to use for activation.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Microsoft put a stop to that a while ago. If you want to downgrade to XP you still can (providing you choose Win7 Pro*) but you would need a Dell XP disk and would have to load it on yourself. Basically the OEM is no longer allowed to supply pre-downgraded XP systems like they did previously.

Note that under OEM licence terms you cannot downgrade to XP from Windows 8 Pro, only to Vista or 7.

Microsoft are determined to have as few people as possible still using Windows XP come Spring 2014.

This is the problem with the system Microsoft is allowed to get away with.

If a company who makes computers want to put XP on, then they should be allowed to, not that I think it is a good idea, but then if people want to buy a computer with Xp, why should MS stop them doing that?

The same with Windows 7 and 8, people should be able to have a choice, not be forced.

I know it will never happen, but I wish more of the big software producers would support Linux. People would have a better choice and MS may realise then that they just can't treat their customers like crap.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I don't get the aversion to Windows 8. In my eyes, it's all down to the age old adage of "People don't like change."

Apart from the lack of the Start menu and the new Metro design, nothing else has changed. Everything works the same way as before. I much prefer Windows 8 - especially on a touch screen device.

it not just it have been changed, windows 7 was different to XP, ok it still have the start menu, but it had a different look.

The main problem is that it looks and feels like two different operating systems. The new UI may be fine with touch screen, you get onto the desktop and a touch screen is a waste of time. the new UI apps are pretty basic and most people will see them as a gimmick and they will still end up going back to the desktop unless they just browse all day.

If MS gave people the choice, it would have been better. I wonder how many people will get a new laptop today for Christmas and it will have windows 8 on and I wonder how many people it will confuse?

The modern or Metro UI, what ever MS want to call it is to be honest crap.

There I said it, get rid of the Metro and get a nice new start menu and windows 8 is not bad at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    This is the problem with the system Microsoft is allowed to get away with.

If a company who makes computers want to put XP on, then they should be allowed to, not that I think it is a good idea, but then if people want to buy a computer with Xp, why should MS stop them doing that?

Because this stifles innovation. As time goes on and more software that is able to exploit old software design becomes available, it becomes harder for MS to patch it in order to try and keep the software secure.

If they have to put more people on trying to keep a 10-year old OS secure, that's less people designing the next OS.

Otherwise we'd all still be using Windows 3.1. and getting hacked to pieces within 10 seconds of connecting to the internet.

Microsoft isn't 'getting away' with anything. They are trying to innovate new ways to keep computers secure against the onslaught of malware that's out there. Sure the metro interface is a bag of washing but that doesn't mean that underneath 8 isn't more secure and to some extent more innovative than 7.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Up until a year or so ago they did allow OEMs to provide Windows 7 Pro systems pre-downgraded for anyone wanting XP, same as they did with Vista Business. Since XP is nearing end of life its not unreasonable to draw a line somewhere so as to slow down the takeup rate.

The option for downgrading is still available for those that really need it. The minority that do fall into this category are going to be the ones that are more likely to understand its limitations and that support is being withdrawn in the near future.

Personally I think even with all this taken into account there will still be a fairly significant number of XP users remaining come Spring 2014.