Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 5)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,494
Administrator
good because
Adam needs and deserved a good beating, Sean doesn't teach Ali as she won't let him

This thread is a continuation of: Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part five:)

Thought tonight's episode was depressing :(
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part 5! Yey! :)

But I am not happy,

*stands with hands on hips*

I did another long multi quote this afternoon and now it's lost Lost!

Humph :mad::mad::D

And I agree Wildy. ED was a chore tonight. I've just said in t'daily that I think having two quite depressing storylines running concurrently (Sandy and Zak) is a bit too much TBH :(
  • lmcd08lmcd08 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish that Emmerdales current storylines wouldn't be similar like the Sandy and Zak stuff at the same time which like mentioned above is a bit much especially when viewers like myself enjoy a bit of humour mixed in but we are getting nothing like that currently its all depressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

But I am not happy,

And I agree Wildy. ED was a chore tonight. I've just said in t'daily that I think having two quite depressing storylines running concurrently (Sandy and Zak) is a bit too much TBH :(

You're right Lotty- one of those storylines should have been combined with a happier storyline for balance- focusing on both of them at the same time is way too much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmcd08 wrote: »
    I wish that Emmerdales current storylines wouldn't be similar like the Sandy and Zak stuff at the same time which like mentioned above is a bit much especially when viewers like myself enjoy a bit of humour mixed in but we are getting nothing like that currently its all depressing.

Hi, I think its about to get worse
    Zak is rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack 9th april
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Lisa said to Zak you better change your ways or we'd be better off without you.Is she blind ? they used to be so close !! A lot of the cast seem to have temporary insanity or there's something int t'water :)

Remember how lovey dovey the Bartons were when they arrived ? then ma Barton goes out in her push up bra and jumps Cains bones.Just like that .

Laurel and Ashely- been through hell together - suddenly Laurel got the vapours for Marlon.
    Ashley the staid and reliable holy man , morphs into the Evil One.
    Are we watching Emmerdale - the Virtual Version? are the writers having a laugh and in a few weeks our normal service will resume and we'll find out the last few months have all been a horrible hallucination and the cast as we knew them will return to normal- a bit like the Dallas dream sequence? I really hope so but don't hold your breath :cool:
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    lillabet wrote: »
    Hi, I think its about to get worse
    Zak is rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack 9th april

How do you know this?
  • lmcd08lmcd08 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    How do you know this?
    There was an ambulance seen on the webcams a few weeks ago with Zak getting into it although I haven't seen any official spoilers about the heart attack bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

But I am not happy,

I read it lotty and it was very good indeed, I also did a large spoiler for next week. Head over to part 4 if you want to know what is going to happen

I agree it was all very depressing indeed
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    I can't believe Lisa said to Zak you better change your ways or we'd be better off without you.Is she blind ? they used to be so close !! A lot of the cast seem to have temporary insanity or there's something int t'water :)

Remember how lovey dovey the Bartons were when they arrived ? then ma Barton goes out in her push up bra and jumps Cains bones.Just like that .

Laurel and Ashely- been through hell together - suddenly Laurel got the vapours for Marlon.
    Ashley the staid and reliable holy man , morphs into the Evil One.
    Are we watching Emmerdale - the Virtual Version? are the writers having a laugh and in a few weeks our normal service will resume and we'll find out the last few months have all been a horrible hallucination and the cast as we knew them will return to normal- a bit like the Dallas dream sequence? I really hope so but don't hold your breath :cool:

Well said, barrowgirl - although (sorry - I always stick up for Lisa) I quite liked the interchange between Lisa and Lizzie when she, Lisa, started to reflect on whether or not she'd been too hasty in thinking that Zak's drinking was to blame - and she's such a good actress when given the chance, her anxiety and apprehension that Zak might be seeing another woman, was perfect.

Despite the flak I've had from the 'Emmerdale experts' who turn up on this thread from time to time to write scornful things about the regulars lack of understanding of plot nuances, I still think Zak has early-onset dementia - a condition which would probably never cross Lisa's mind since many lay people consider dementia/Alzheimer's as a condition of the very elderly.
    tinkie wrote: »
    I read it lotty and it was very good indeed, I also did a large spoiler for next week. Head over to part 4 if you want to know what is going to happen

I agree it was all very depressing indeed

I read them both and they were excellent - I actually tried to copy your huge multi-quote over to the new thread, Lotty - for the sake of continuity - but I only managed to get your replies, not the quotes you were replying to! :(

The latest attempt to make the Scruffies more liked and appealing fell on stony ground in this house, I'm afraid - far too 'telegraphed' a manoeuvre to have previously despised kid interact respectfully with elderly village icon - although I did like dear old Turner's crack about trying to convince the baseball-capped horror that Matt Damon wasn't at Dunkirk! ;)

I also liked the doctor in the A&E scene, particularly when he wouldn't allow bliddy Ashley to accompany Sandy to X-ray and remarked sharply, when told that the old man often got confused, that he seemed perfectly lucid! I notice from next week's spoilers that
    Social services turn up to check on Sandy and Rachel gets the blame for reporting Ashley - it all comes to nowt, but that's par for the course for social workers nowadays - but it could well be the A&E doc or senior nurse who alerted them - I certainly would have in such suspicious circumstances!

That was the 'a bridge too far' moment for 'Ashley' for me, even though prior to this distasteful fiasco he was one of my favourite characters and I've defended him on these threads what seems like a million times in the past, but now?

Well 'now', the gloves are off, and the character can expect no quarter from me - there's no way back for him ever, not as a man, and certainly not as a vicar - and that goes for his stupid wife too! :mad:

Speaking of favourite character, I think I'm right in saying that I was one of the (very) few who liked the 'Kelly Windsor' character - and yes, she may well have been written as a scheming gold-digger, but at least she appeared to care about her child and treated Jimmy like a prince when they were together - unlike Noxious Nico who treats him the way she treats everyone else - like dirt!:rolleyes:

Mind you, that might be influenced by the fact that I'm gradually warming to Alex and am not going to call him 'Scouseferatu' any more - he seems to have potential - now all he needs is a proper storyline and a decent script, hopefully not involving Vacuous Vic or the aforementioned Mrs. King! ;)
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Aida wrote: »
    That was the 'a bridge too far' moment for 'Ashley' for me, even though prior to this distasteful fiasco he was one of my favourite characters and I've defended him on these threads what seems like a million times in the past, but now?
    After the Laurel-Moron affair you'd think the Thomas family could surely sink no lower. But amazingly the writers have surpassed even that preposterous storyline with Ashley's abuse of Sandy. What a sick thing to come up with - one can only explain it in terms of the anti-Christian stance that's widespread in the British media. I doubt very much if this sort of set-up would occur with a Muslim household in Emmerdale. That'd be far too controversial - but Christians are fair game, they can be portrayed in the worst possible light.

I know Ashley's always had a bit of a tense relationship with his dad, but this is ridiculous. I accidentally tuned in for a few seconds last night. I switched channels immediately - Emmerdale's now the sort of show that I can't stand to have on any more. It's an immoral mess, full of stupid liberal ideas where everyone can get away with whatever they want. Yuk.
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an old man called Sandy,
    Whose shoes were full of candy,
    That vicar needs a slap,
    For treating him like crap,
    What's wrong with the occasional Brandy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Quote from Part 4: (Sorry, I can't remember the contributor)
    "I have never been that convinced that Danny/Aaron is any better as an actor than Adam, so what if he can cry at the drop of a hat, that's his only talent.."

Is crying to order a talent then? My grandkids must be the most talented (and manipulative) toddlers in the world!

And I thought all they had to do was take out a large onion ...
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AuldGit wrote: »
    Quote from Part 4: (Sorry, I can't remember the contributor)
    "I have never been that convinced that Danny/Aaron is any better as an actor than Adam, so what if he can cry at the drop of a hat, that's his only talent.."

Is crying to order a talent then? My grandkids must be the most talented (and manipulative) toddlers in the world!

And I thought all they had to do was take out a large onion ...

Laughing - they fashion the onion into a 'tearstick' nowadays, Auldie, so that we groundlings are fooled into thinking it's a sophisticated 'acting-aid'!

Actually, speaking of the dubious acting-skills of the Golden Weeper, those of us who don't appreciate (or fail to understand the nuances of) his Brando-like interpretations, had better do our celebrating very quickly as I note (with a sinking heart) that, according to the main 'Soap' gossip-page, 'the door has been left open for his return'!

*Sighing* He'll probably be back sometime in the early autumn to blight next Christmas in 'Emmerdale' if he fails to secure a role in panto! :rolleyes:

Love the latest limerick, Bantam! :D:D
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Well said, barrowgirl - although (sorry - I always stick up for Lisa) I quite liked the interchange between Lisa and Lizzie when she, Lisa, started to reflect on whether or not she'd been too hasty in thinking that Zak's drinking was to blame - and she's such a good actress when given the chance, her anxiety and apprehension that Zak might be seeing another woman, was perfect.

Despite the flak I've had from the 'Emmerdale experts' who turn up on this thread from time to time to write scornful things about the regulars lack of understanding of plot nuances, I still think Zak has early-onset dementia - a condition which would probably never cross Lisa's mind since many lay people consider dementia/Alzheimer's as a condition of the very elderly.

I read them both and they were excellent - I actually tried to copy your huge multi-quote over to the new thread, Lotty - for the sake of continuity - but I only managed to get your replies, not the quotes you were replying to! :(

The latest attempt to make the Scruffies more liked and appealing fell on stony ground in this house, I'm afraid - far too 'telegraphed' a manoeuvre to have previously despised kid interact respectfully with elderly village icon - although I did like dear old Turner's crack about trying to convince the baseball-capped horror that Matt Damon wasn't at Dunkirk! ;)

I also liked the doctor in the A&E scene, particularly when he wouldn't allow bliddy Ashley to accompany Sandy to X-ray and remarked sharply, when told that the old man often got confused, that he seemed perfectly lucid! I notice from next week's spoilers that
    Social services turn up to check on Sandy and Rachel gets the blame for reporting Ashley - it all comes to nowt, but that's par for the course for social workers nowadays - but it could well be the A&E doc or senior nurse who alerted them - I certainly would have in such suspicious circumstances!

Well 'now', the gloves are off, and the character can expect no quarter from me - there's no way back for him ever, not as a man, and certainly not as a vicar - and that goes for his stupid wife too! :mad:

Speaking of favourite character, I think I'm right in saying that I was one of the (very) few who liked the 'Kelly Windsor' character - and yes, she may well have been written as a scheming gold-digger, but at least she appeared to care about her child and treated Jimmy like a prince when they were together - unlike Noxious Nico who treats him the way she treats everyone else - like dirt!:rolleyes:

Mind you, that might be influenced by the fact that I'm gradually warming to Alex and am not going to call him 'Scouseferatu' any more - he seems to have potential - now all he needs is a proper storyline and a decent script, hopefully not involving Vacuous Vic or the aforementioned Mrs. King! ;)

Your posts have had me grinning from ear to ear and nodding like a crazy dog because of your brilliant summing up. :D

I'm with you on the dementia angle but also wondered if it could be schizophrenia.
    Forum Member
    After the Laurel-Moron affair you'd think the Thomas family could surely sink no lower. But amazingly the writers have surpassed even that preposterous storyline with Ashley's abuse of Sandy. What a sick thing to come up with - one can only explain it in terms of the anti-Christian stance that's widespread in the British media. I doubt very much if this sort of set-up would occur with a Muslim household in Emmerdale. That'd be far too controversial - but Christians are fair game, they can be portrayed in the worst possible light.

I know Ashley's always had a bit of a tense relationship with his dad, but this is ridiculous. I accidentally tuned in for a few seconds last night. I switched channels immediately - Emmerdale's now the sort of show that I can't stand to have on any more. It's an immoral mess, full of stupid liberal ideas where everyone can get away with whatever they want. Yuk.

I have yet to see another, more passionless 'affair' than the one we were treated to by this pair. And when did Laurel become such a snob?! Didn't she enter the village originally as a village idiot, dressed in some bizarre costume?
    Forum Member
    Oh, and please BRING VAL BACK!!!

I love her character.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Lotteh!

I also saw your brilliant mq before it was consigned to the ether and it was a triumph as usual. You can take your hands off your hips now. :);)
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree about Alex, though I like Victoria and find her slightly more tolerable than the other teens. But I appreciate he needs to be involved with other characters. He does still have this feeling of a glorified extra about him.
    After the Laurel-Moron affair you'd think the Thomas family could surely sink no lower.

I still hold out hope that Ashley and Sandy have an epiphany and turn on Laurel.

Realistically I wonder if this is a long running storyline for Freddie Jones exit. Despite Ashley breaking down after being pushed over the edge this week, he's still shown no signs of letting up. His tactics have now changed to manipulation and lies, rather than just being hostile. So you wonder what will make him change his ways if not this? The only thing I can think of is Sandy dying.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughing - they fashion the onion into a 'tearstick' nowadays, Auldie, so that we groundlings are fooled into thinking it's a sophisticated 'acting-aid'!

Actually, speaking of the dubious acting-skills of the Golden Weeper, those of us who don't appreciate (or fail to understand the nuances of) his Brando-like interpretations, had better do our celebrating very quickly as I note (with a sinking heart) that, according to the main 'Soap' gossip-page, 'the door has been left open for his return'!

*Sighing* He'll probably be back sometime in the early autumn to blight next Christmas in 'Emmerdale' if he fails to secure a role in panto! :rolleyes:

Love the latest limerick, Bantam! :D:D

Well it better had be left open for him because that useless lump is never going to get another acting job anywhere else is he. Not that I would ever want him to come back since the show will improve 100% the moment we see the back of him.
  • CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of those storylines should have been combined with a happier storyline for balance- focusing on both of them at the same time is way too much

Rhona and Paddy got engaged a few weeks ago but we haven't seen her since. A few scenes of her excitedly planning her wedding with Katie and Victoria would be welcome. Even an engagement party that doesn't end in an argument would suffice.
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Agree about Alex, though I like Victoria and find her slightly more tolerable than the other teens. But I appreciate he needs to be involved with other characters. He does still have this feeling of a glorified extra about him.

They better not ruin one of my current favourite couples. Sadly after everything she's putting Jimmy through I can see Nicola pregnant by Alex in the near future
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really not liking Chas and Cameron
    having an affair. They have a nice chemistry and Cameron comes alive when he's with Chas. My problem with this storyline is that they've obviously kept Cameron and Debbie together in order to have another affair. The writers portrayed Cameron as a different man when he was with Chas. He was nice and fun, had a sense of humour. When he's with Debbie he's unhappy, angry. Very manipulative writing imho. Cameron is a character I can't relate to. I haven't found one single good reason why Cameron keeps going back to Debbie. She treats him like dirt, tramples over his feelings, she slept with Andy and is pregnant by another man. She finished with him because he wanted to be there for her and Sawah. She is mean, snarly, agressive and unlikable. No one in their right mind can love someone like Debbie, if they don't have to. As if one mean Dingle wasn't bad enough he has to live with Cain, who's just as rude, mean and bitchy as Debbie. The actor says that Cameron's put up with all that because he loves Debbie. But why does Cameron loves Debbie? There is NOTHING to love about her. She's a bottomless pit of utter misery. Of course if Cameron had finished with Debbie like any normal human being would have, we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching yet another affair :rolleyes:
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings for the past week and a half make for interesting reading.

Since last Monday
    Monday - 7.55m
    Tuesday - 6.85m
    Wednesday - 6.71m
    Thursday - 6.95m and 7.35m
    Friday - 6.53m

Monday - 6.55m
    Tuesday - 6.14m
    Wednesday - 6.07m

A peak for the fire on Thursday. But from a promising start of over 7 million, the ratings continue to drop. I expect something might be pulled out of the bag tonight for the two episodes, but it'll be interesting to see if this trend continues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    The ratings for the past week and a half make for interesting reading.

Since last Monday
    Monday - 7.55m
    Tuesday - 6.85m
    Wednesday - 6.71m
    Thursday - 6.95m and 7.35m
    Friday - 6.53m

Monday - 6.55m
    Tuesday - 6.14m
    Wednesday - 6.07m

A peak for the fire on Thursday. But from a promising start of over 7 million, the ratings continue to drop. I expect something might be pulled out of the bag tonight for the two episodes, but it'll be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I'm not surprised- my Mum is talking about giving up on the show and she's watched it happily for years- she's sick of how downbeat it's become and I know people who already have given up

It was (in Ireland anyway) a fabulous sunny 19 degrees yesterday- everyone was in good form- why would you want to sit down and watch that misery:(
  • LilyCLilyC Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I see the door has been left open for Danny to return.

I reckon give it a year and he will be back.
This discussion has been closed.