Hollyoaks To much screen time on homosexuality?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
Forum Member
Over the years Hollyoaks has had more than its fair share of gay characters and story lines. I think they have gone OTT, first with the number of gay and lesbian characters and now with the amount of emphasis and screen time given to the gay aspects of the one current gay couple. I can help but think that the scriptwriters are on gay is right pay role, n soon they'll be demonizing heterosexuals

Comments

• Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course not, how silly would it sound if I said,
    "Too much screen time on heterosexuality?"
    IMO Hollyoaks are portraying it well.
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks portrays it best, as it plays it like it's no different to the straight characters. Which is what all the Soaps should be doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly!
    If you don't like watching gay people don't watch Hollyoaks- simple!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

I don't mind gay characters. But when you have nothing but a load of gay character's having storylines centre around the fact that they're gay characters then it's tedious.

It's not treating it as normally as the heterosexuals, it's drawing huge focus to the fact that they're gay.
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I agree.

I don't mind gay characters. But when you have nothing but a load of gay character's having storylines centre around the fact that they're gay characters then it's tedious.

It's not treating it as normally as the heterosexuals, it's drawing huge focus to the fact that they're gay.

They only story highlighting it is the Seamus/Brendan story and that's because of their history.

Brendan/Ste/Doug etc is no different to say Mercedes/Riley/Carl etc
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to make a reasoned post and then thought ah bollocks to the lot of you.

If you don't like it then don't watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only story highlighting it is the Seamus/Brendan story and that's because of their history.

Brendan/Ste/Doug etc is no different to say Mercedes/Riley/Carl etc

Not really. Both Ste and Doug had to be retconned as gay characters first. So, not really the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, don't watch if you're uncomfortable about homosexuals don't watch, how are they not being treated as normal?
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just happens to be at the moment, the SL's are focused on three gay characters. The Brendan SL isn't really about Brendan being gay, it's about his dad being an abuser. It was mentioned today to show what a bar steward his dad is, but it is about their history, not Brendan being gay. The JP one is just tying up all the ends to him splitting with Craig and the wonder baby. Again, not at the moment about JP being gay, just about his relationship going to pot. Esther, is all about bullying and not her being a lesbian. So what is the big deal? Next week we'll have Dodger, Texas, Will, Myra and Dirk, Mercy and Browning, so don't fear, the heterosexuals will return and all will be right in OP's world again!
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. I like that their storylines sont just resolve around their sexuality (christian and syed anyone) and we dont always have to endure a long drawn out coming out story (aaron) or a ridiculous cringey stereotype (sean)
    Hollyoaks is by far the best at portraying characters who are gay and i hope the next time one of the other soaps bring in a gay character they learn a few things from HO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, don't watch if you're uncomfortable about homosexuals don't watch, how are they not being treated as normal?

Stop being so bloody rude and getting all defensive.

They're not treated as normal because the fact that they are gay is always their storyline. They're just there as the gay character.

And I was talking about Brendan/Doug/Ste not being comparable to a heterosexual triangle because it involved two contrived changes in characterisation by changing two straight characters gay which didn't make an ounce of sense.

And now we've got the return of another "straight one day, gay the next" character in John Paul involved in the same group. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not being rude or defensive Was only asking a question?!
  • Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say I would sooner watch Brendan and Ste's relationship play out than the tedious relationship that was Dodger and Texas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being rude or defensive Was only asking a question?!

Saying "Again, don't watch..." is rude and presuming people have a problem with homosexuality .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not assuming, just saying if someone does then don't watch..common sense really :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks change peoples characters every five minutes.

Random murders happen and are barely mentioned again.

People are madly in love one minute and having multiple affairs the next.

Yeah it isn't ideal to turn characters gay all the time but why is that the bit you are focused on?

And as for gay characters storylines always revolving around their sexuality, it's Hollyoaks, every characters storyline revolves around relationships.

And what kind of comment is I don't mind gay characters?

That's like saying I don't mind straight characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And John Paul was introduced as a gay character, he didn't turn up singing show tunes but he was struggling with his sexual identity from his arrival as a teenager.

I don't see why that makes a difference though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not assuming, just saying if someone does then don't watch..common sense really :)

Well, we don't so your comments are irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't because I was talking about the programme, moving on..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be the gay illuminati at work. Watch out for Brendan covering one eye with his hand in future episodes. Ste's triangle-pattern bedspread is also tipped to make a cameo. I know that I for one frequently feel the urge to go out in public and scream abuse at heterosexuals after watching Hollyoaks. I mean, I don't mind if straight people want to hold hands or even kiss (no tongues mind), but could they please do it behind closed doors?!

I swear I used to be so much more tolerant of those pesky straights before Hollyoaks educated me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »

And what kind of comment is I don't mind gay characters?

That's like saying I don't mind straight characters.

Because I have the Homophobia Brigade accusing me of homophobia perhaps? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I have the Homophobia Brigade accusing me of homophobia perhaps? :rolleyes:

No, it's just a weird comment to make.

ETA And it was made in your first comment before anyone said a word to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't because I was talking about the programme, moving on..

They're irrelevant because no one's uncomfortable with homosexuals on the show. Yes, move on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    No, it's just a weird comment to make.

When someone's asking me if I'm uncomfortable with homosexual characters in a soap how else do you expect me to word my response?
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.

Whats wrong with gay characters having gay storylines? Or are you only comfortable with gay people having straight storylines?