What do you hope a "Next Gen" Game will offer

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
So with the new systems offering more power, more memory and more storage space what are you hoping will be added to make a new game feel "Next Gen"?

With both Xbox and Playstation using BluRay one thing I hope to see is more speech options for NPCs. When I play a game like Skyrim one thing that really bugs me is when you talk to a character like a shop owner and they always say the same one line every single time, I would like multiple options when I speak to them and possible even a few random lines which only appear every 100 times you visit that character (Maybe even keep a few errors in like an actor coughing during a take). With Skyrim I remember keep been told that I should visit the Mages College in Winterhold even after I had visited, joined and completed the college mission line, some new speech lines to acknowledge that would have been really cool.

Comments

• SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    More complex AI would be good, and like Hotbird said more speech options from NPCs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly the general improvements we see from Gen to Gen, better graphics, smarter enemies, more enemies on screen, big set pieces (in uncharted / tomb raider type games), amazing new IPs

Perhaps most importantly though, do away with obvious loading screen during in game play, just go to a load screen or don't

I know that sounds like a nitpick but i don't really have that many huge problems with this gen that could be solved, for lack of a better term, in the next gen
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like to see more games developers taking risks and doing different things.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Interactivity, where every object in an environment can be interacted with, Kind of like the Fallout and Oblivion games , Larger environments too.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    More single player games and not have everything as multiplayer.
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    less cheating from the computer in games like fifa.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better Graphics!!! (That's about it!!!) :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to be able to quit a game and shutdown then restart in exactly the same place (like you can on the ipad). It would be so much easier than having to quit before hitting a checkpoint and having to redo sections.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to quit a game and shutdown then restart in exactly the same place (like you can on the ipad). It would be so much easier than having to quit before hitting a checkpoint and having to redo sections.
    You mean autosave on quit?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the ps4 allows that. You can suspend your game at any point.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see the game react to real world time and weather. eg if you're playing Gran Turismo 6 at 11pm at night and its pissing with rain outside, it's dark & rainy in the game
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More suspend like gilly said. I'd like to be able to jump back in in seconds without going through booting PS3, selecting game, booting game, press start, go through menu etc...
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like to see more games developers taking risks and doing different things.

Publishers don't always like risks as they don't always make money. Devs like doing different stuff but it's not always feasible.
    You need to be looking to the Indies for the crazy/new/different stuff.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    I'd like to see the game react to real world time and weather. eg if you're playing Gran Turismo 6 at 11pm at night and its pissing with rain outside, it's dark & rainy in the game

:D that's a great idea, and possible. The console could retrieve the weather forecast from the internet, based on your location. Actually, not sure how accurate that would be :D

I'd like to see less FPS, more action/puzzlers, more heros created. The only hero this gen that I can think of is Drake, well, the only hero I actually liked and enjoyed playing. :D

More small developers should be allowed to express themselves, there are some cracking indie games on the PC that would work just as well on console. Open up the whole system to anybody with talent, instead of just big companies that work to time frames and profit margins.

Consoles are pretty dull compared to what can be found on PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing with weather omtt would be if racing online and it reckons its scorching at your place and snowing at mine
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Technology isn't holding back the number of lines of spoken dialogue - money is.

In the short term I would expect no more than better looking versions of what you have now - a bit like where PC is at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im expecting bigger 3rd party cut scenes now that next x box has the media capacity....but yeah will be more of the same or as little as they feel they can get away with for the money.
    Should be no reason not to have pc scale multiplayer numbers on next battlefield
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like there to be more X platform gaming. To be able to game against both Ps3 and PC owners on FPS. Dedicated servers where no matter if you own a console or PC, we can all game together. We could all make new online friends from other platforms.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Technology isn't holding back the number of lines of spoken dialogue - money is.

True. Bizarre as it may seem to some people but writers are paid to write every bit of dialogue in games, even 'barks' (short, often random, dialogue) and actors of various degrees are paid to speak them. Not sure why the budget for either of these would be increased just due to a next-gen platform...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy gaming as it is but better AI and graphics spring to mind.
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    (Maybe even keep a few errors in like an actor coughing during a take)
    That was already done in Oblivion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u7xZh1s8UlY
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no loading screens
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A boot that springs from the console to kick the faces of annoying foul mouthed folks during multi player matches.

Back in the real world just no loading screens and better AI.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like to see more dynamasism like this.

Not necessarily how you describe above - but certainly changing conditions.

Like take a multiplayer FPS map, it always looks the same. A dynamic weather and time-of-day system for that kind of game would be awesome and keep the map fresher for longer.

Another thing I would love to see - but we probably won't as it would stifle DLC sales - would be more player generated content.

So more stuff like map creators, circuit creators.

ModNation Racers is great fun for that, their DLC is in the form of new content to add to your creations so it is feasible.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    More single player games and not have everything as multiplayer.
    This.

I don't mind MultiPlayer, Just hate it how it seems in some games that all the focus was put into the online side & the Single player campaign ends up been short, glitchey & somewhat dull (Medal Of Honor would be a recent example that I've played).

Linked into that Id also like to see online trophy's/achievements separate from the non-online ones. Couple PS3 games where i've done all the single player trophy's yet can't get the platinum because there's a ton of online trophy's to get & I don't want to play the online side.