BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's been great the last two nights on Sports Extra.

Glad it's getting a wider audience tonight.

Agreed - good on them for covering it.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the BBC are busy removing comments once again from their facebook page. Censorship lives.

We were discussing Katie Hopkins and yet another of her 'appearances' on the station and lo and behold...... there the comments were.....gone.

It's the BBC's perogative to decide what to include or exclude from its Facebook pages as it is for any organisation. The BBC also needes to be aware if individuals are being discussed of possible libel and /or contempt of court.

Wor Katie is very much a right of centre politico. Given that so many think the BBC is crawlinmg with Lefties it's interesting that you complain that Katie is on too much.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    It's the BBC's perogative to decide what to include or exclude from its Facebook pages as it is for any organisation.

I think 5 Live consistently tries to over control debates. They prefer guests to listeners because listeners are less predictable. On Facebook there are no guests. Anybody can say anything at any time. 5 Live doesn't like that concept yet they want to be on a website where they cannot moderate contributions as they could with their own website. By the time something gets deleted, people have read it. If commenters on the page were to decide to keep battling against the mods, the mods would basically be at a computer all day trying to delete comments before too many people saw them and by the time they deleted one there would be another. Would listeners rather that people who work on 5 Live spend their time deleting comments on or would they prefer them to focus on what is broadcast on the radio?Facebook
    Wor Katie is very much a right of centre politico.

But the thing about Katie Hopkins is she makes very controversial comments. That is the only reason she is invited onto 5 Live. She can only appear as a guest though, because i she had her own show where she could say what she thinks, it would be less controlled and impartiality couldn't be guaranteed.

If only there was a decent national talk station where presenters and contributors had more freedom.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wor Katie is very much a right of centre politico.
    What on Earth do you mean by that?

What she is is a moron. None of her statements or views have any significance other than to annoy. Ginger children are "hard to love"? You should judge children by their names alone? Who cares what she thinks?
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm listening to the first Wright/Cates 606 and to be honest, it's not bad. I think they have a good on air style and he hasn't been too over the top.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I'm listening to the first Wright/Cates 606 and to be honest, it's not bad. I think they have a good on air style and he hasn't been too over the top.

You enjoyed it more than me me then. Cates is ok but Wright is horrible. Talksport have one of their best shows on at the same tiem (the Press Pass) - it says something when Talksport sounds more upmarket during this slot than 5live!
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have the great advantage of not being Alan Green, so has to be an improvement.

Enjoying the golf coverage, but they're leaving it to go to the IPC Swimming. Can someone tell the BBC, that no one cares and it's PC gone mad pretending we do.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
    Forum Member
    They have the great advantage of not being Alan Green, so has to be an improvement.

Enjoying the golf coverage, but they're leaving it to go to the IPC Swimming. Can someone tell the BBC, that no one cares and it's PC gone mad pretending we do.

Whilst I agree not that many will be interested its a bit harsh on those fine Paralympians that their sports are nothing but "pc" stuff.

Good point on Alan Green - listening to the England game was much better without him moaning about everything and anything!
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWor Katie is very much a right of centre politico. Given that so many think the BBC is crawlinmg with Lefties it's interesting that you complain that Katie is on too much.

It's not her politics, it's that she's obviously there as a rent-a-gob to say controversial things to draw in callers. A "wind up merchant" if you will. 5Live should be above that.
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why athletics on the radio yesterday at 1.30 when there was a perfectly good game of football between spurs and palace? Athletics is not a good sport to listen to , don't mind watching it but its as interesting as snooker on radio
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why athletics on the radio yesterday at 1.30 when there was a perfectly good game of football between spurs and palace? Athletics is not a good sport to listen to , don't mind watching it but its as interesting as snooker on radio

talkSPORT have exclusive national radio commentary rights to all Premier League games taking place on Sundays at 1.30pm, as well as on Saturdays at 5.30pm and on Wednesday nights. They have held these rights for the past three seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talkSPORT have exclusive national radio commentary rights to all Premier League games taking place on Sundays at 1.30pm, as well as on Saturdays at 5.30pm and on Wednesday nights. They have held these rights for the past three seasons.

Thanks, that clears that up then, shame I cannot get talksport in the car.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that clears that up then, shame I cannot get talksport in the car.

Still does not get round the fact that athletics is damn boring on the radio - on a par with golf. Radio five is going to die with athletics, golf , campbell, misery derbyshire and burden whilst lbc and talksport move on in leaps and bounds.
  • mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Interesting that Five Live seems to be going for one commentator & summariser in commentaries now as opposed to having two commentators who would split each half between them. Is this because a number of their commentators have left for other TV & radio stations ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still does not get round the fact that athletics is damn boring on the radio - on a par with golf. Radio five is going to die with athletics, golf , campbell, misery derbyshire and burden whilst lbc and talksport move on in leaps and bounds.

Well the BBC seems to love brown nosing athletics still a year after the Olympics
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mccaffep wrote: »
    Interesting that Five Live seems to be going for one commentator & summariser in commentaries now as opposed to having two commentators who would split each half between them. Is this because a number of their commentators have left for other TV & radio stations ?

It's a deliberate move to cut costs, they officially announced the cut to one commentator in 2012 done gradually over 2012-2014. This meant last season that the Sat 12:45 games were generally done with 1 comm (mainly Darren Fletcher) and some other games were too.

Last summer, Nigel Adderly and David Oates left (the latter sadly passed away shortly afterwards). Simon Brotherton was also heard less.

You've now got Green and Ingham. John Murray who also does golf. Alistair Bruce Ball who also does golf and cricket sometimes. Conor McNamara who also does golf and rugby union.

They also use Dave Woods who is mainly Rugby League. They are also using BBC TV commentators a bit although I think that will lessen once Green is back from holiday and the others stop doing other sports.

EDIT: Of course, Darren Fletcher has left to BT Sports although he is doing 606 on Saturdays
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the BBC seems to love brown nosing athletics still a year after the Olympics

Yes bbc bigs up athletes cos deep down a decent radio station would not touch athletics swith a barge pole. Athletocs should be paying the bbc for broadcasting. Meanwhile Savage ruining another footie commentary...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Gawd Derbyshire is on Newsnight again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gollum_545 wrote: »
    Gawd Derbyshire is on Newsnight again

Prefer that location than Radio Five for her.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    That suits me. I was delighted when I heard Chris Warburton instead of her this morning. I had expected her to be back and that I would be switching off. Why anyone thinks she is up to Newsnight I have no idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    That suits me. I was delighted when I heard Chris Warburton instead of her this morning. I had expected her to be back and that I would be switching off. Why anyone thinks she is up to Newsnight I have no idea.

Means i can't watch she's rubbish shouldn't be on newsnight
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »

VD vs Louise Mensch on Newsnight right now. This is why the mute button was invented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    VD vs Louise Mensch on Newsnight right now. This is why the mute button was invented.

Come on be fair Queen Victoria has won awards... (mind you Robbie Savage and Jon Gaunt have also from the same bunch)
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I only switch over at 11 p.m. after Sky's Paper Review. They are obviously spending a lot more time on her make up and hair than they do on Jeremy Paxman. She doesn't look like that on the 5Live webcam, on the rare occasions she is there.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Williams tonight....

Christ....how many 13 year olds listen to 5live at anytime of day let alone 2345.....?
    Because are there any sane adults really interested in discussing 1 direction movie & songs etc......God help me is this what it's come to on here??

Why does 5live continually insist on contributing to Simon Cowell' s bank balance/paternity payments by publicizing his crappy product? (I can't call it music by any stretch...don't know who the dopey woman eulogising 1 direction is but she's inane)
This discussion has been closed.