What albums do you feel are overrated?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I saw a similar thread on another website and found it an interesting topic, so I thought I'd create one here.

I personally have to go for 'Confessions on a Dance Floor' by Madonna. Don't get me wrong, I love the album and it's in my top five but I so often see it winning polls for best Madonna album when I feel she's created much better (Ray of Light, Like a Prayer, Erotica). Of course that's only my opinion and anyone is free to disagree with me.

So... what albums do you personally feel are overrated?

Comments

• cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emeli Sande. I like the singles and a couple of album tracks but most of it is drivel. That's my opinion ofcourse, I'm sure many others will totally disagree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Adele's 21 will pop up a few times on here I'm sure
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Emeli Sande - Our Version of Events
    Adele - 21
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take That's last effort with Robbie on board was truly awful
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That - Progress

Everybody praised it so much, but I just don't see why. Had any other boyband done that, the would have probably panned it - but because they are Take That and that Robbie came back, everyone went crazy about it.

Aside from great song The Flood, the album is very generic and average.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Adele- 21
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Take That - Progress

Everybody praised it so much, but I just don't see why. Had any other boyband done that, the would have probably panned it - but because they are Take That and that Robbie came back, everyone went crazy about it.

Aside from great song The Flood, the album is very generic and average.

I completely agree, The Flood was amazing but other than that it was a very poor album, a poor follow up after the amazing Circus album
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emeli Sande - Our Version of Events
    Adele - 21

Yep, basically those two. Not that they are bad albums. But in my opinion they both have a mixture of very strong and very weak songs and this is why I find them overrated.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana del Ray - Born to die
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't you just rename this thread "Popular Albums I don't like" ?
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Shouldn't you just rename this thread "Popular Albums I don't like" ?

Exactly my thinking.

21 and Our Version Of Events aren't overrated at all, but people who think they didn't deserve that success will keep on saying they are.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly my thinking.

21 and Our Version Of Events aren't overrated at all, but people who think they didn't deserve that success will keep on saying they are.

I'm a huge Adele fan and think 21 is vastly overrated maybe it's the case of ''i love this album and anyone else who doesn't is bitter'' ;)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Adele's 21, I do like her though and a hand full of the songs but not the album in full
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I'm a huge Adele fan and think 21 is vastly overrated maybe it's the case of ''i love this album and anyone else who doesn't is bitter'' ;)

Not at all. I LIKE, not love, the album. A lot of people are saying it's overrated and, i think, are basing it on the sales. A lot of critics never ever made out it was something amazingly special when it was first released. It's never been made out to be the best album ever, the best album in 20 years, the best album in 40 years etc. The only reason people think it's overrated is because it sold so much, and that wasn't down to the material on the album, that was down to the performances she did live of Rolling In The Deep, Set Fire To The Rain and Someone Like You.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely Adele 21 and Emeli Sande's album
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady GaGa - Born This Way.

I probably wouldn't call this overrated if it weren't for the fact she kept going on and on about how amazing it was going to be. And in fact, there is not a single song i can listen to now - with maybe the exception of Edge of Glory - that i actually enjoy. Her fans seem to think this is the best album ever and say it's a lot better than her first one (or two - The Fame and The Fame Monster) and it's just so insulting to her first album(s) to say that it's better.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last few Radiohead albums since OK Computer.
    To be honest I've lost track of how many there have been.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emeli Sande's album, my God it's awful. Boring song after boring song, I like to listen to my music whilst I'm awake. Not comatose.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Britney's Blackout. I do really like it, but it's hardly the masterpiece people make it out to be.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney's Blackout. I do really like it, but it's hardly the masterpiece people make it out to be.

I've never known a Britney Spears album to be referred to as a 'masterpiece' to begin with.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    This one definitely has!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pulp - Different Class
    Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Apart from the singles, nothing special at all
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Definitely Madonna's Hard Candy and Blur's The Great Escape
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    I saw a similar thread on another website and found it an interesting topic, so I thought I'd create one here.

I personally have to go for 'Confessions on a Dance Floor' by Madonna. Don't get me wrong, I love the album and it's in my top five but I so often see it winning polls for best Madonna album when I feel she's created much better (Ray of Light, Like a Prayer, Erotica). Of course that's only my opinion and anyone is free to disagree with me.

So... what albums do you personally feel are overrated?

I'm choosing this one too,although it's good to dance to, it's all been done before and sounds rather generic coming from the lady who created albums like True Blue and Ray Of Light.
  • GagaKeshaMinajGagaKeshaMinaj Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady GaGa - Born This Way.

I probably wouldn't call this overrated if it weren't for the fact she kept going on and on about how amazing it was going to be. And in fact, there is not a single song i can listen to now - with maybe the exception of Edge of Glory - that i actually enjoy. Her fans seem to think this is the best album ever and say it's a lot better than her first one (or two - The Fame and The Fame Monster) and it's just so insulting to her first album(s) to say that it's better.

I agree with what you are saying, when I think of the Born This Way era compared to TF and TFM, it was nowhere near as good. When BTW came out I was crazy for it and loved it, but now I'd say it is nowhere near as good as TFM.
    I really hope ARTPOP is a step up and people arent still fed up of her. I hope it slays!!!