La Noire

2»

Comments

• KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you can probably see from many of the comments here: it is not worth getting. It is a boring, 3rd-rate story attached to a pseudo-interactive, boring bunch of click-throughs.

This kind of "gaming" is not to be encouraged. The production of these kind of "games" is not to be encouraged.

Just wondering what are your thoughts on "point and click" games such as the Sam and max games? I kinda agree because I'm personally not a fan of them but I know a few people who are so would disagree with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you can probably see from many of the comments here: it is not worth getting. It is a boring, 3rd-rate story attached to a pseudo-interactive, boring bunch of click-throughs.

This kind of "gaming" is not to be encouraged. The production of these kind of "games" is not to be encouraged.

So the walking dead getting so many game of the year awards is wrong to you? that is a point and click game

Here's the thing we all have opinions i like LA Noire and you don't

That doesn't mean that the entire genre should be scrapped because you don't like it, there is a different between whether you dislike something and it is actually bad
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. I can understand that it may not be to everyone's taste but I enjoyed being a detective and examining crime scenes. It was something a bit different and slower paced than most games and I liked that about it. It's been a while since I've played it but I do think I will play it again at some point.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Walking Dead was awesome. Definitely deserved all those GOTA awards, IMO. Great story, great characters, etc.

LA Noire? Meh. I gave up on it once I'd finished the Homicide desk. Too repetitive, too dull, plus it was annoying being forced to arrest someone you knew was innocent.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes...

While TWD didn't deserve GOTY (that honor goes to Dishonored, of course)...

Here, you see, we have immediately a couple of people who recognize the difference between TWD and LA Noire (etc... btw):

TWD was actually a very good story; and well told; (and without so much pretense as the likes of LA Noire too).

TWD doesn't deserve to be GOTY, no. But it's alright. Because bringing that level of honestly enagaing story-telling into the realm is to be encouraged.

Sam and Max seemed more honestly a nice little set of puzzle-solving, old-school, less-than bloated and over-hyped games... but I haven't played them past episode 1 (or maybe 2?) as they were nice but basically mediocre up to that point and I had other games to move on to. I will probably revisit someday and catch-up?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I picked this game up really cheap a few days ago & am loving it so far, not only is it because it is the first time in years that I have been able to play this type of game without suffering motion sickness, but also it will kill some time before GTA V gets released. Yes the game does get a bit repetitive but am still enjoying it & am considering getting the DLC cases once I have completed the game.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    All games are repetitive to a greater or lesser degree. Lots of people seem to rave about FPSs like CoD but those are completely repetitive games - only the background changes.

LA Noire was ambitious in that it was a departure from the norm. Clues-based point and click and motion capture to convey a sense of human emotion. I really liked it. I'm a big fan of Noire films and the game was very atmospheric and evocative. Music's used really well and the game's not afraid to refer to the darker side of post-war LA.

The driving and shooting is fun and I liked the size of the map and the fact that it replicates the city at that time. I finished the cases but didn't bother with the collectables. At £8, what have you got to lose?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea behind LA Noire was interesting and it is worth playing for the facial mechanic which is simply unrivaled by any other game.

But it's far from perfect. The 'Truth Lie Doubt' feature does not always function in the way it should, the shooting and driving leaves much to be desired, and the less said about the awful story, the better.

For £8 I wouldn't say no. But anything more is burning money.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not a bad game tbh although I would also say it does get slightly repetitive.

If the cases had been longer with more people to interview and interviewing one opens up new information or people to trace with some blind alleys of investigation it would have been a better game.

Perhaps if you had the option of tackling a case your own way maybe you could delegate some tasks to other officers door to door enquiries etc that then uncovers more info/background or confirms a blind alley.

Its too obvious who the killer is early on to be honest in most of the cases
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently got 100% on this, the shooting 3 drivers one was annoying as hell.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a decent game, definitely worth £8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completed all of the main cases a couple days ago & am now considering the DLC. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I was hoping to continue playing the remaining street crimes levels that I needed to do, but for some reason the last save point it lets me go back to is where you are playing Kelso in the final part of the game. :confused:
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Completed all of the main cases a couple days ago & am now considering the DLC. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I was hoping to continue playing the remaining street crimes levels that I needed to do, but for some reason the last save point it lets me go back to is where you are playing Kelso in the final part of the game. :confused:

From the Main Menu:

Scroll down to Cases

Select a Desk

Select Free Roam

This will allow you to clear up any remaining Street Crimes or Film Reels/vehicles. Remember each desk has it's own Street Crimes, so be sure to check them all to see where you are missing them.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually own this and am postponing playing it play Bioshock 1 first.

I think it'll be good (I do like the whole noir thing), will report back once I get around to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    From the Main Menu:

Scroll down to Cases

Select a Desk

Select Free Roam

This will allow you to clear up any remaining Street Crimes or Film Reels/vehicles. Remember each desk has it's own Street Crimes, so be sure to check them all to see where you are missing them.

Thank you so much for that :), I was hoping that the game would last me until GTA V got released, but no such luck as I got hooked and completed the main story in about 10 days. I now look forward to free roam & get the rest of the missing items, then I may get the DLC.
  • burnoutbabeburnoutbabe Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed mostly BUT hated the interogations - got it wrong so many times and no chance to start over and try better options.

but have bought it again recently to do the DLC cases, which are fun for a few hours.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    It was a bit repetitive, but I loved it. Not a patch on RDR though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it for the first few chapters but after a while you do get slightly bored and don't try as hard with the interrogations.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked the feel and being transported back to that era of the Great American Dream.

The atmosphere and dialogue was perfect for the era