Victoria Derbyshire -aargh!

Comments

• GortGort Posts: 7,465
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    "The Londoners" are indeed lucky, as long as they only want to listen to the radio between noon and five. Vanessa Feltz is OK in small doses but I can't imagine listening to her show for more than half an hour a month (which, as they have it on in the barber's, is exactly how long I do listen).

Agreed. If you don't like trivia, then Feltz should be avoided. Banal presenter who oozes with trivia and celebrity gossip. She's the only blight on BBC London, which is a fantastic local radio station (listening to it now, actually).
    Meanwhile, yesterday's Victoria Derbyshire show was a classic of its kind. She actually conducted a serious interview with two characters out of Coronation Street. What was she thinking?

Derbyshire isn't a great presenter at all, but she's better than some of the suggestions above. Then again, my suggestion would be Brian Hayes, which will probably not be to everyone's taste. ;)
  • amarkramarkr Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Victorian wrote: »
    The best 'phone in I can hear is Vanessa Feltz on BBC London.
    I don't think much of her on the TV but she's fab on the radio. I love a presenter who has the bottle to correct callers' grammar.
    BBC London can be heard over a large area of the south and south east, if you're keen enough.

Slightly OT from the op - but you can manually add BBC London to your other channels list on a SKY box if you are outside London (It will be on your epg if you are in the within the transmission area)
    Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    amarkr wrote: »
    Slightly OT from the op - but you can manually add BBC London to your other channels list on a SKY box if you are outside London (It will be on your epg if you are in the within the transmission area)
    Mark

Sorry for asking this, because I know it's probably been answered elsewhere, but how do you add it ?
  • VictorianVictorian Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Agreed. If you don't like trivia, then Feltz should be avoided. Banal presenter who oozes with trivia and celebrity gossip. She's the only blight on BBC London, which is a fantastic local radio station (listening to it now, actually).

Derbyshire isn't a great presenter at all, but she's better than some of the suggestions above. Then again, my suggestion would be Brian Hayes, which will probably not be to everyone's taste. ;)

Trivia indeed! This morning there were quotations from John Betjeman (a poet for all you talkSPORT listeners) & there are often discussions on literature, religion and philosophical issues.

It's not all serious (of course)- light and shade, as in life.

However, Brian Hayes- now you're talking! He'd never fit into 5 Live these days as he has too much personality.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trivia indeed! This morning there were quotations from John Betjeman (a poet for all you talkSPORT listeners) & there are often discussions on literature, religion and philosophical issues.

However, Brian Hayes- now you're talking! He'd never fit into 5 Live these days as he has too much personality.

I read Brian Hayes had retired so he's not going to present any programme anywhere in future.
    Forum Member

Firstly, if the jibe about Talksport was directed at me, I have to say that I don't have time for it between listening to Radios Three, Four, Five, Six and BBC London. Never have cared for that Murdoch tosh and the faux working class barrow boy drivel it puts out.

As for Feltz's show, then I have to say that I've caught her on the wrong topic too many times. Each time I tune into her show, it's full of which celebrity is shagging who, topics about fashion, Big Brother/"reality" shows and the like. Of course, there has been the occasional mention of something a bit serious, but I tend to turn off after giving her thirty minutes of my time listening to banal trivia. I can't be bothered to try again, as I've been bitten too many times. :rolleyes:

As a swipe back, maybe you just think that celebrity watching is serious news, and that topics about stretch marks not going with red dresses is the more fun stuff. ;)

Agreed.
  • VictorianVictorian Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Firstly, if the jibe about Talksport was directed at me, I have to say that I don't have time for it between listening to Radios Three, Four, Five, Six and BBC London. Never have cared for that Murdoch tosh and the faux working class barrow boy drivel it puts out.

Absolutely not aimed at you at all and totally agree with the Murdoch stuff. Guess we'll just have to disagree about Feltz, if not Brian Hayes.

Going back to Derbyshire, it's the blandness of it all that gets me. In my opinion, it was better with Campbell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    (You're right - Brian Hayes would be fantastic.)
    As far as I'm concerned, they can sack Victoria and Dotun immediately. I've spent the last month in bed ill with only a clock radio for company and VD is as her initials suggest - unwanted and irritating.
    If I can't sleep Dotun sends me off pretty quickly. I thought presenters were meant to have personalities?
    Talking of Up All Night - has anyone else noticed a chap they only bring in on overnights occasionally called Nick Wallace? Now HE'S good - warm voice, can switch between serious and silly with ease. It makes me want to listen - even to the sometimes lame "yes, it's the other side of the world but no-one here in the UK is awake enough to interview" stories.

And while I'm in ranting mode - does anyone else think there's a competition between the presenters on 5Live to cram in as much of an interview as possible in the talk up to the news on the hour? I'd expect to hear what's coming next, but no. Some presenters barely get time to sign off before the hour.
    And then when you get to the hour, I want news, not over a minute of presenters doing very longwinded teases, sometimes with clips of music chosen by someone in the backroom who clearly has no knowledge of either music itself or how to edit it.

Having said all that - still love 5Live. Radio 4 can disappear up its own fundament sometimes.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not aimed at you at all and totally agree with the Murdoch stuff. Guess we'll just have to disagree about Feltz, if not Brian Hayes.

Tell you what, I'll give her another listen during the week. I last listened about six months ago and have given her numerous chances before. I do think she's learned and can certainly hold a good debate if she wanted to, but I find that she drifts too often towards trivia for my liking... at least the last umpteen times I have listened to her. Mind you, I do prefer her over that toe rag Gaunt, who used to have her slot.
    Going back to Derbyshire, it's the blandness of it all that gets me. In my opinion, it was better with Campbell.

Yes, I also agree with this. I still don't think Derbyshire is as bad as some of the posters above claim, but she's not exactly one who'd set anything on fire, either.
  • eFGeeeFGee Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Derbyshire and Anand are appalling examples of radio presenters. Unable to control callers, phone-ins often become adversarial, they resort to telling them off, expressing their own views and even flirting in an attempt to regain the upper hand.

While we're on the subject, Campbell seriously gets up my hooter. Boorish and always needing the last word. making Derbyshire cry is his only saving grace. At least Sheila Fogarty seems to be able to keep him and his cattargh-laden sports presenter chum (???Matt Williams????) under control. Gaw' on, gal!!!

Spot on.

Derbyshire certainly got her come uppance yesterday when she tried her adversial style of interviewing on Grahem Souness.

Loved the way she tried to elicit support from e-mails and others in the studio on how the beastly Souness treated her.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eFGee wrote: »
    Spot on.

Derbyshire certainly got her come uppance yesterday when she tried her adversial style of interviewing on Grahem Souness.

Loved the way she tried to elicit support from e-mails and others in the studio on how the beastly Souness treated her.

I didn't hear this until it was replayed on Drive. I had to laugh at Ms D getting some of her own medicine. She spends every day patronising callers and the like, now she had some back and she moaned and moaned about it.

I liked the way that Peter Allen chuckled along and you almost felt like he was saying 'go on Souness my son, go on'.
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She really is a bastion of tabloid-level broadcasting refuse.

Not too long ago she mentioned a story about a romance between a 14-year old and 21-year old. It was a follow up piece, and she had an undertone in her voice that suggested she wouldn't be averse to a lynch mob stringing up the 21-year old male. Such stories should remain in the private domain and be dealt with by the affected parties, NOT aired on national radio.

How low can you go? Well, we don't know yet, because Vicky keeps plumbing deeper depths in her disgrace of 9-1 show.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally turn off when there's a piece on children, babies or even worse she hears one in the background of a call and she starts gushing.

That's every day then. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Listened to her for about 10 minutes to hear her interview a bloke producing Jade the musical.Couldnot tell whether she was being sarcastic or not but really could have nailed this bloke about cashing in but failed miserably,dread to think how she handles politicians!!
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do 5 Live actually have any plans to pull the plug on this execrable presenter? Here is an example of a recent braindead conversation with James Corden, he of Gavin and Stacey.

Derbyshire "How do you write it?"

Cordon "We put up Post-it notes but we usually just write it."

Derbyshire "Peter Kay rang you up – after series one. Or was it before series one? Where did he get your number from? What did he say? 'This is Peter Kay? Gavin and Stacey is great?'"

Cordon "He says: 'Hello. This is Peter.'"

Derbyshire "And you knew, immediately."

Cordon "I said: 'Peter! Peter Kay! How are you doing?'" At which point, we discovered, Kay responded: "I'm good."

:mad:
  • Mr RigsbyMr Rigsby Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CillaBlack wrote: »
    OH MY GOD. You are not dissing Dotun are you? It is one of my peronal dreams to have him taking over all of Five live. It is a surprise that they let him broadcast considering he is not a complete ignoramus.

Dotun Adebayo and Victoria Derbyshire are as bad each other! :eek:
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    Well I doubt if she'll be going anywhere soon, she seems to have her feet well under the table, same as Dotun has.

And we all know why VD is where she is:rolleyes:
  • Mr RigsbyMr Rigsby Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we all know why VD is where she is:rolleyes:

No? Care to elaborate? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I normally turn off when there's a piece on children, babies or even worse she hears one in the background of a call and she starts gushing.

When she came back on air after having her first baby, it was compelling radio to listen to her offering advice on bringing up children to her callers. :rolleyes:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to Victoria Derbyshire the range of topics on daytime Five Live is very broad. Some lightweight, some not. I can only think of three presenters who can switch between the two; Simon Mayo, Fi Glover and a modest Nicky Campbell.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think that over the day 5 live does in its own way cover all the major stories. Sometimes it dosn't cover them in enough detail but that's another story.

I think management is trying to provide a less serious thread between the morning phone in and Simon Mayo. Management may well believe Victoria fits that particular bill. The problem comes however if a big story breaks during the show. She does struggle to cope and her efforts at PMQs are in my view dreadful.
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I give her credit for is how much more interested she was in her own nails than in Gascoigne when she interviewed him on radio/webcast. The poor has-been was pouring his heart out with tales of woe, but Derbyshire was just distractedly looking at her hands as if she'd been the victim of a botched manicure. Occasionally she remembered to ask him a question, but all in all gave him the respect he deserved; not much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VD (:D) on 5 Live is the radio equivalent of the daily mail - needlessly sensationalist and lowest common denominator radio. She's the only weak link in Five Lives daytime schedule.
  • davidb201davidb201 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    QPRKeithJ wrote: »
    VD (:D) on 5 Live is the radio equivalent of the daily mail - needlessly sensationalist and lowest common denominator radio. She's the only weak link in Five Lives daytime schedule.

I don't mind Victoria - very nice voice - a bit posh and a hint of bossiness. And . . . rarity on the BBC, she’s (really) English!

You seem to have overlooked a lot of weak links - e.g. self-important little Lib, Mayo; overwhelmingly smug Allen; appalling Arnand, (by the way, have you seen how unpleasant she looks on TV), - and that's just the daytime!
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Fi Glover is a remarkable broadcaster. The Sunday Service programme was just the right format for her talent. She has a rare ability to switch between serious and trivial and lets the guests talk.

I don't get chance to listen to her on a Saturday but in my opinion her natural home is Five Live not Radio 4.

I used to love Fi on radio 5 live late night spot.She had a lovely calming voice.

I am not a fan of Victoria mind you.