"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
Forum Member
Anyone watching now? Is that Rachel Riley of Countdown fame as the solo contestant?

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Riley was born in 1986 and the version of Blockbusters showing on Challenge ended in 1993, so not very likely.;)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might watch an episode of this tomorrow. I always used to watch this way back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    A new version is being filmed soon, to be shown on Challenge.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, the Blockbusters dance. So annoying when studenty in-crowd types, probably having researched it specifically on YT, do it at the end of the night in clubs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthouse wrote: »

I bet this'll be good. Sigh...
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered the same thing. This seems a earlier series to what challenge normally air.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Rachel Riley was born in 1986 and the version of Blockbusters showing on Challenge ended in 1993, so not very likely.;)

Did they ever do a kind of Junior Blockbusters, or was it my imagination? :confused:
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I bet this'll be good. Sigh...

Yeah, I auditioned for it. Haven't heard back yet though.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthouse wrote: »

Challenge have a nasty habit of bringing back old shows only to make one or two series worth of episodes and thats it. Only then to repeat these over and over and over.

The much triumphed comeback of Bullseye in 2005 only lasted two series.

Same happened with their versions of Sale of the Century, Winner Takes All and Fort Boyard (the Christopher Ellison series was made by Challenge).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Yeah, I auditioned for it. Haven't heard back yet though.

They'll likely only choose what they think are suitable people for contestants. It could be that people have to be quite knowledgeable. I dunno.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant Challenge just air a full day of Blockbusters!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,241
    Forum Member
    What year of Blockbusters are they currently showing?
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded the application form for the new show just to have a look and its like a job application form!!

According to Sky's website, they start filming in early February, but no mention of a presenter yet, surely they have someone lined up by now.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    Just downloaded the application form for the new show just to have a look and its like a job application form!!

According to Sky's website, they start filming in early February, but no mention of a presenter yet, surely they have someone lined up by now.

Maybe Talkback Thames are lining up Cheryl Cole as the new Bob Holness, hence why Challenge are delaying the announcement as they don't want a 'Cheryl to present/not present Blockbusters' carry on?

Well, she's meant to be having her own show, according to the tabloids, and she'll be known to Richard Holloway at Talkback Thames through X Factor, hence why she could be considered for it. And she'll want to get herself in the public eye again.

But it'll probably be Richard Arnold or Vernon Kay.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    What year of Blockbusters are they currently showing?

I saw it last night and it was 1992, which I think was the last year it was shown. Actually Border used to show repeats in the mid nineties.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll likely only choose what they think are suitable people for contestants. It could be that people have to be quite knowledgeable. I dunno.

From experience, they often want people new to quizzing. Old hats like myself might miss out, any way I live in hope.

Yes, Andy the forms do have that look. Like a job, you have to try to sell yourself and look interesting !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Why cant Challenge just air a full day of Blockbusters!

It would probably get very tiresome/boring after a while for a lot of people. I couldn't sit and watch my favourite series ALL day.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Did they ever do a kind of Junior Blockbusters, or was it my imagination? :confused:

There was a Junior Blockbusters board game http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61bSQbM9S8L._SL500_.jpg
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It would probably get very tiresome/boring after a while for a lot of people. I couldn't sit and watch my favourite series ALL day.

Well, watch Challenge now. :p

Same again, tomorrow.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    "Everyone now, fingers on the buzzer.. ..What B is a quiz show where students answer questions and partake in gold runs?"

Bleep! Richard - the single student - has pressed his buzzer.

"Yes, Richard?"

"It is it Bullseye, Bob?"

"No. Anyone on the other team know? I see Sarah is putting her hand up."

"Is it Blankety Blank, Bob?"

"No. The answer was Blockbusters. Blockbusters."

The students shrug. They realize this show is a lot harder than they think!
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just recently started watching BB for the first time and I just love it, it's so cheesy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I know there's a new series, but I hope challenge can buy some older than 1992 blockbusters! I always wonder what the contestants are up to now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe but at least it would be easier for people recording the show.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    If anyone's interested, the new version - hosted by Simon Mayo(naise) - starts Monday at 8pm.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be on 14th May now. :confused: