Sunday night 90's dread

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Sorry, after seeing the Saturday night listings thread I had to start this one!

Calling all 90's kids. Do you remember the buzz around Saturday night TV (blind date gladiators etc) and knowing you still had the next day off.

But on Sunday as soon as Antiques Roadshow and Songs of Praise came on you knew it was officially Sunday evening and that feeling of dread kicked in you were back to school next morning!

Its funny how you assosiate a certain feeling with a TV show.

For the rest of you what shows do you assosiate with good memories and what shows do you assosiate with bad memories?

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antiques Roadshow and Songs of Praise have been on Sundays for over thirty years, not just the 90's.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Last of the Summer wine theme tune is the most utterly depressing sound ever. I bet they use that as the lift music when sending people down to the fiery bowels of hell.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I remember those Saturday night and Sunday night feelings too.

I seem to remember TV being better then, but perhaps it was just because I was young and easily impressed.
  • Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    the end of London's Burning was when I realised it was Sunday night and Monday meant school
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    certain horror films always fill me with dread even to this day
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there were a few shows which gave me that feeling of dread but the only one I can remember right now is Heartbeat.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Songs Of Praise & Antiques Roadshow feeling could go back to 1979.

It doesn't matter what you are doing, school, work, holiday or nothing, there seems to be a Sunday night affect regardless. I'm not quite sure why this is, but it's real enough.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember this very well as a child. Sunday was OK while ITV's 'The Match' with Elton Welsby was on. This was followed by Bullseye with Jim Bowen, after which Highway with Sir Harry Secombe came on. It had a great theme tune but that's when the 'Sunday night feeling' began to kick in.

Highway, or Songs of Praise on the BBC, was followed by Last of the Summer Wine, Heartbeat, Ballykissangel, period dramas, or slow dramas with wide, panoramic views of the countryside. Even Birds of a Feather didn't cheer me up.

Then I'd go to bed, usually by the time my dad was watching the South Bank Show. I'd mess around with my bedside radio, and on MW could usually pick up quite a few hymn singing programmes from various places, and NFL commentary, which I later found out came from American forces radio in Germany.

The fact that I hated school didn't help.

The only times I recall Sunday nights being more cheerful was when there were major snooker finals on BBC Two, but that was only a few times per year, and sometimes clashed with the school holidays anyway.

Yes, Sunday night TV in the 1990s was 'yuk'. We only had terrestrial in our house, which didn't help.

I suspect the state of Sunday night TV confirmed my intention to avoid conventional 9-5, Monday-Friday working patterns, a promise to myself which I've kept.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there already a thread like this?.....

Just to recap.

Jim hendsons storyteller
    Last of the summer wine
    Bullseye
    Jeeves and wooster
    Spiting image
    Tarrent on tv
    Hale and pace
    Sunday night Clive
    The chronicles of narnia
    You've been framed (with jeremey beadle)

These are a few of my favourite things......
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and michael palin's travelogues....
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there already a thread like this?.....

Just to recap.

Jim hendsons storyteller
    Last of the summer wine
    Bullseye
    Jeeves and wooster
    Spiting image
    Tarrent on tv
    Hale and pace
    Sunday night Clive
    The chronicles of narnia
    You've been framed (with jeremey beadle)

These are a few of my favourite things......

Tarrant on TV was one of the very few things I enjoyed about Sunday night TV back then. It's worth remembering that Clive James and Keith Floyd presented the programme before Tarrant.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Border Television on Sundays, Scotsport( usually featuring some 0-0 draw no one in England cared about), Highway To Heaven( sickly American series aimed at the elderly), Harry Secombe's Highway( too bad to contmplate), Surprise Surprise( cloying tripe with our Cilla). Unless you were Scottish or old, nothing worth watching, although BBC One had such joys as Harry and the Henderson( a totally unfunny sitcom with a yeti in it), the Eastenders Omnibus and Songs of Praise.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still get Sunday night dread, decade and more since leaving school!

Sunday night is my worse night for sleeping.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    I still get Sunday night dread, decade and more since leaving school!

Sunday night is my worse night for sleeping.

Snap, I used to hate Mondays in the second form as this meant games in awful weather first thing in the morning and I knew when I was watching something like a Bond film for escapism 12 hours later I'd be on some freezing pitch with some sadistic inadequate screaming abouse at kids who had no interest or aptitude for games.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Border Television on Sundays, Scotsport( usually featuring some 0-0 draw no one in England cared about), Highway To Heaven( sickly American series aimed at the elderly), Harry Secombe's Highway( too bad to contmplate), Surprise Surprise( cloying tripe with our Cilla). Unless you were Scottish or old, nothing worth watching, although BBC One had such joys as Harry and the Henderson( a totally unfunny sitcom with a yeti in it), the Eastenders Omnibus and Songs of Praise.

Remember all this too well - was that what thing was in The Hendersons a "yeti" :o:D, I thought it was Bigfoot or sasquatch by the looks of it :p

My saturday night telly consisted of Gladiators, You Bet, You've Been Framed (Beadle), Noel's House Party but you knew Sunday was boring as hell - didn't ITV run cartoons at weekends?? (or was that down to your local ITV region that done that??)

I see Highway to Heaven is now on True Entertainment
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Sunday nights when at junior school, was always Hart to Hart. At senior school it was Spitting Image, and Clive James
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    The Last of the Summer wine theme tune is the most utterly depressing sound ever. I bet they use that as the lift music when sending people down to the fiery bowels of hell.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Programmes such as To the Manor Born and Shoestring were Sunday night BBC1 programmes. Over on STV it was Hart to Hart.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think yourselves lucky.When I was growing up I had to endure Sing Something Simple on the radio every Sunday at 6pm.It was as depressing as it gets believe me.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it ran into the 90s, but the Sunday night/end of the weekend and back to school programme that most sticks in my mind is That's Life.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Snap, I used to hate Mondays in the second form as this meant games in awful weather first thing in the morning and I knew when I was watching something like a Bond film for escapism 12 hours later I'd be on some freezing pitch with some sadistic inadequate screaming abouse at kids who had no interest or aptitude for games.
    Snap again! Sunday night was bath night often enough for me. Yet my first lesson at 9.20am Monday morning in the second form was also Physical Education, rendering my Sunday bath rather pointless as I was often on a mucky school field caked in mud in the rain next day, and needing to be stood in the showers cleaning myself all over again by 10.30am. Not the best start to the week for the majority of us I would guess.

I also associate Anglia's Tales Of The Unexpected with Sunday nights but was too young to stay up and watch it at the time, I think it went out at 10pm or so, but recall hearing the theme playing on TV downstairs while I was in bed.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just remembered Where The Heart Is was another one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this feeling all too well, OP! School damaged me so much that this feeling, in fact, sometimes still haunts me to this day. :o
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me on this one but didn't Sunday nights on ITV/CH4 consist of the likes (ITV: Cadfael - now on Drama, Boon and Minder? not 100% but was The Golden Girls on a sunday at 10pm on channel 4??, also add Father Ted)
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    Correct me on this one but didn't Sunday nights on ITV/CH4 consist of the likes (ITV: Cadfael - now on Drama, Boon and Minder? not 100% but was The Golden Girls on a sunday at 10pm on channel 4??, also add Father Ted)

I remember The Golden Girls on a Friday night at 10 with Whose Line and/or Absolutely at about 10.30pm. I loved C4 in those days!

I remember Sunday nights being things like Howard's Way and The House of Eliott and later in the evening Spitting Image, The New Statesman, Clive James on TV.

And like a few others here I get the Sunday dread despite it being work on Monday and not school!