Stella (sky One)

Comments

• GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,788
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Once again #stella on Twitter hundreds of positives very little negativity, yet DS the other way round!!

That's most likely because it always seems to be a case of many posters on DS preferring to damn subject matter with faint praise in preference to anything else.

It's the way all forums of this type seem to function. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, though unfortunately the negative aspect of criticsm seems to outweigh positive.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped running around long enough to finally catch the first episode and am really looking forward to the second one tonight! My admiration for Ruth Jones' past output brought it to my attention and not disappointed. It's more Fat Friends style and pace than Gavin and Stacey which is fine by me. She's a talented lass!
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated it, full of crass stereotypes and see it all before storylines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I haven't see it yet but i have taped the first episode and going to tape the second. i hope to watch them soon.

I thought Mount Pleasant was brillant i loved it funny but really moving in places.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the trailer for the new Ruth Jones comedy on Sky 1.Looking forward to it in the new year.

I saw the advert and thought it looks crap.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mount Pleasant was just dire. Families just wouldnt act that way to the husbands wife.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the second episode!
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love it
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say watched it and found it utter tripe. Being a Rhondda girl, can't relate to any of the characters. To be honest don't know anyone in the Rhondda who actually enjoyed it. Lazy writing and childish storylines. High hopes was more like the valleys people. Saying that loved Gavin and Stacey.

Have you asked them all then??
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend Dai likes it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say watched it and found it utter tripe. Being a Rhondda girl, can't relate to any of the characters. To be honest don't know anyone in the Rhondda who actually enjoyed it. Lazy writing and childish storylines. High hopes was more like the valleys people. Saying that loved Gavin and Stacey.
    Not like me or anyone I know, Thank god.
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im from the Valleys and quite enjoyed it though I agree with JustJanetnoJohn that I couldnt relate to anyone, but for a general UK audience sterotypes are bound to be dragged out.

High Hopes also was amazing, it was a type of comedy I think you need to come from or have a good understanding of the Valleys to get.
  • JustJanetnoJohnJustJanetnoJohn Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Not like me or anyone I know, Thank god.

I was talking about the insane good sense of humour that valleys people have, High hopes really got it, this is just afraid to say, a Porthcawl's person idea of what the valleys are like. So off the mark its just sad.:(
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Have you asked them all then??

No,I haven't but that's why I said I DON'T KNOW anyone who liked it, not all of the Rhondda . All I have heard is negative things being said about it. Was a big let down as they did some fliming in my mam in law's street and I was really excited about it, but wasn't to be. :(
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No,I haven't but that's why I said I DON'T KNOW anyone who liked it, not all of the Rhondda . All I have heard is negative things being said about it. Was a big let down as they did some fliming in my mam in law's street and I was really excited about it, but wasn't to be. :(

Which proves nothing, I'm from the valleys and everyone that I've spoken to loved it, still means nothing though, just anecdotal evidence.....
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it enough to keep watching as long as there's nothing else on. The characters are likeable enough, except for Alan who really creeps me out, and the father, who I just want to punch whenever he's on screen. It also bums me out that there's a Welsh Will Sasso, well I suppose creepy idiots must be played by someone.
  • groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I hated it, full of crass stereotypes and see it all before storylines.

+1
    Extremely disappointed
  • jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member

high hopes more like the valleys people ? ? ?
    what is that then thick as s..t ? ? ? ?

being from south Wales i actually found it great and could see the similarities .
    i am from Swansea but as i don't know every single person in Swansea i don't know if anyone didn't enjoy it so wont bother commenting.
  • tushinghamtushingham Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Being nosy here, but whereabouts is your MiL's street?
    I recognise Tonyrefail Comp but can't place some of the other locations.
  • charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dduk wrote: »
    I can't find it on Sky Anytime on Virgin. Is it not on Virgin's Sky Anytime?

For some strange reason Virgin's Sky Anytime has episode 2 on the on demand section,but not episode 1.
    It's not on catchup either.
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first one last night quite enjoyed it , i think it will be a slow burner
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Which proves nothing, I'm from the valleys and everyone that I've spoken to loved it, still means nothing though, just anecdotal evidence.....

To be honest really shocked that everyone you spoken to in the valleys enjoyed it. I know a wide spectrum of people in the Rhondda due to my husband's job and most people are really quite insulted at it. Well horses for courses.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Me and my mum watched the first episode last night and thought it was really funny we were laughing all through the programme.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what's so insulting, says more about you than the show I think. It's not a documentary you know.

I thought it was good, clearly not aimed at my demo (more to older people) but I still laughed and it reminded me of Doc Martin only more happened. Ruth Jones is clearly very talented.
    Forum Member
    jamiepond wrote: »
    high hopes more like the valleys people ? ? ?
    what is that then thick as s..t ? ? ? ?

being from south Wales i actually found it great and could see the similarities .
    i am from Swansea but as i don't know every single person in Swansea i don't know if anyone didn't enjoy it so wont bother commenting.

With high hopes I was trying to say that Boyd Clack captures the valleys humour better than Ruth Jones. Boyd's characters are way out there anyway but Ruth's characters are meant to be NORMAL valleys people. And that where it doesn't work in MY opinion, just comes off very insulting and stereotyped. And no we don't COCKING keep ponys in our houses. When is the next series of Gavin and Stacey?;)