House of cards

redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks like it could be a decent program. Kevin Spacey staring as the ruthless politician hell bent on making his way to the top

Premiers on Netflix early February in this country. Good for those who have it like me;)

Quick read on Wiki suggest they outbid HBO and AMC for the rights to the program:eek:

Will look forward to this with great interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cards_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Yeah, can't wait for this. A week today it arrives. Trailer looks good. It's great that Netflix are able to produce high quality originals of their own like this.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How am I only just hearing about this??!! The BBC series is some of my favourite tv of all time. As a political nerd it's up there with the West Wing.

So excited . . . . . . .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorta psyched for this as its going to be the first worldwide release of a TV show pretty much, so its available here, US, anywhere on netflix at same time AND apparently its going to be all the shows of the season straight away! Living in a golden age now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House of Cards season 1 is now available on Netflix

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/House_of_Cards/70178217?locale=en-US

A one month free trial is available
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watched it yet? Looking forward to it tonight. The good thing and bad thing with this model netflix is doing is you get all the shows in one go. You watch them all over the weekend they are gone.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin Spacey playing a baddie + Kate Mara and Sandrine Holt => I don't need to know anymore, I can't wait :D
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode is available for everyone even without a subscribing to Netflix
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode was pretty good. The second was great. This show just wreaks of quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    It's OK. :)

There is the main storyline, as with the UK original but it's supported by additional character arcs for the wife, the reporter, and for a congressman in Frank Underwood's control. This isn't surprising as it has 13 episodes to fill compared to the UK original's four.

It doesn't feel like a remake to me, which is a good thing.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 episodes in
    very good
    more new dramas netflix
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The asides to camera are my favourite bits. Especially the one at the church service in episode 3. He gives that big emotional speech and then basically tells the audience it's all a load of bullshit and he's just telling the people what they want to hear. Fabulous!
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them. Finchers direction and stylistic influences are especially impressive as it really doesn't seem like you are watching a TV Show or even a mini series as it really feels like you are watching a movie. This just gives everything more authenticity for me as even the best TV before this has always felt like the poor cousin to movies from a visual stand point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant watched 3 eps If this is the quality of Netflix own programming then bye bye Tv subscription. The show is just quality and has a the feel of top notch HBO program. I have a feeling I will have watched the whole show this weekend.
  • bladedsbladeds Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I'm on episode 6 and really enjoying , good quality show, it's pretty ruthless and I like that. I am liking the characters especially zoey.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda odd they're letting us all watch their $100 million budget series for free, assuming you've not had a free trial before.

First episode was highly enjoyable, but I think the UK version was better [waves Union Flag. ;)].
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first six episodes today. Love it.
    JCR wrote: »
    Kinda odd they're letting us all watch their $100 million budget series for free, assuming you've not had a free trial before.

True. But I suppose the hope is that it will hook enough people into subscribing when they see what else is available. Plus, of course, you'd eventually need to subscribe if you want to watch season 2.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

First episode was highly enjoyable, but I think the UK version was better [waves Union Flag. ;)].

You might say that
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    The asides to camera are my favourite bits. Especially the one at the church service in episode 3. He gives that big emotional speech and then basically tells the audience it's all a load of bullshit and he's just telling the people what they want to hear. Fabulous!

My favourite bits of the original UK series were the asides. It makes the viewer feel odd but thrilling. Will spend the rest of this weekend on Netflix gorging on this I can't wait.:)
    Kevin Spacey is a brilliant actor. Love David Fincher's movies too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Two episodes in and i'm really enjoying it, Kevin Spacey is brilliant an David Fincher's directing on the first two eps is as good as anything he's done for a theatrical film, if Netflix can do more stuff like this then i can see them becoming a serious competitor to premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying it.:) It oozes quality and I enjoy the dark themes of having all the characters essentially be corrupt and they can all be bought. I am curious what direction it is going in ie. will it remain political or will there be some kind of murder or something.

Three episodes in and I am most intrigued with Robin Wright's character.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to episode 4 and really enjoying it. The best US political drama since the West Wing, The difference this the seedy corrupt version of Washington rather than the idealistic one in TWW.

The decision to release all of the episodes in one go is interesting. The only problem is that there is no "pace" at which we can discuss it.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four Eps in and had to ration myself. Really enjoying it and really surprised at how well it's transferred to the US arena (I had my doubts with the thick of it & veep)

Nice to have something to drop into the slot Boss left.
  • isabelle304isabelle304 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

The decision to release all of the episodes in one go is interesting. The only problem is that there is no "pace" at which we can discuss it.

That is definitely a problem. I have been reading/following this thread but with one eye closed.... just in case I come across a "spoiler" posted by someone who is ahead of me :D