Windows Blue Discussion Thread

Well here it is. The official thread to discuss all things related to the upcoming Windows Blue.

I'll start:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2034761/windows-blue-rumored-to-be-the-return-of-the-start-button.html

I hope it's true that they're bringing back the Start button. The Duplo interface is useless unless you're using a tablet.If this rumour is true, could Windows Blue be a good one? :D

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Well it would help those who can't get their heads around the present set up. There is a lot out there to suggest some sort of start button may appear and a couple more tweaks for desktop users.
    Personally I don't find the UI useless and can use it with a mouse no problem. I do enjoy using a combination of desktop and start screen though........
    Hope you get what you are looking for..
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A start button, but not a start menu, from what I been reading if the start button comes back it will just give access to the Modern UI
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well here it is. The official thread to discuss all things related to the upcoming Windows Blue.

I'll start:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2034761/windows-blue-rumored-to-be-the-return-of-the-start-button.html

I hope it's true that they're bringing back the Start button. The Duplo interface is useless unless you're using a tablet.If this rumour is true, could Windows Blue be a good one? :D
    You've ruined the thread by using the word 'Duplo' in the first post.

Intelligent discussion had ended. I'm out.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    A start button, but not a start menu, from what I been reading if the start button comes back it will just give access to the Modern UI

I thought they were putting back the Start menu. It'll be interesting to see if this version of Windows will be a good one.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that's the case then totally pointless. My main concern would be that they don't disable the third party add ons.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    If that's the case then totally pointless. My main concern would be that they don't disable the third party add ons.

Not totally pointless, one of the main criticisms about metro and the start pop-up is that it's not intuitive because it's not on-screen.

If people can click on a start button and be taken to the start screen then the mental association will be made. When you look at videos like the one Chris Pirillo made with his dad, many "ordinary" people are willing to accept a start menu replacement but they need to know what it is and how to get to it.

Let's not forget the start screen and start power user menu have between them all (and more!) of the functionality the Windows 7 start menu had.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Not totally pointless, one of the main criticisms about metro and the start pop-up is that it's not intuitive because it's not on-screen.

If people can click on a start button and be taken to the start screen then the mental association will be made. When you look at videos like the one Chris Pirillo made with his dad, many "ordinary" people are willing to accept a start menu replacement but they need to know what it is and how to get to it.

Let's not forget the start screen and start power user menu have between them all (and more!) of the functionality the Windows 7 start menu had.

A start button with functionality as you've described, would be great. However I'd like to go further and include quick links to "shut down" and "restart" the computer.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A start button with functionality as you've described, would be great. However I'd like to go further and include quick links to "shut down" and "restart" the computer.

I believe Blue is adding those in the top right of the start screen but I would also agree with you.

I thought about adding those as a right-click of the start button but then where would one put the power user menu that's currently there?

On phones and tablets, we use the hardware power button. On laptops we close the lid. I think "the future" means being consistent across devices and a hardware power button should become the default way of sleeping and powering down.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

I couldn't resist :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    From what I have read on this website http://www.box.co.uk/blog/Windows+8~F~1+to+have+boot+to+desktop+feature, Windows Blue - which is now being called Windows 8.1 will have a boot to desktop feature giving the users the option of booting the OS into the traditional desktop view.

The Start menu might return as this blog post reports that Microsoft is considering having this feature in Windows 8.1 but nothing is yet confirmed.
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'Bye.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually running Windows 8.1 as a dual boot and it's great so far. The enhancements made the Modern UI better to use with a keyboard and mouse.

With regards to this "duplo" interface the OP is referring to, I don't see how the Windows 8 Start screen differs in functionality from the "Launchpad" in OS X tbh. In fact, the Start screen provides more functionality. It isn't useless for people without a touchscreen device at all.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    With regards to this "duplo" interface the OP is referring to, I don't see how the Windows 8 Start screen differs in functionality from the "Launchpad" in OS X tbh. In fact, the Start screen provides more functionality. It isn't useless for people without a touchscreen device at all.

Launchpad in OS X isn't forced on the user the same way the W8 Start screen is. You don't have to use Launchpad if you don't want to. I have it on my Macbook Air and it boots straight to the desktop and I take it from there. The Duplo tiles, on the other hand, are forced on the user and there is no option to boot to desktop in W8, but this will probably change in Windows Blue.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    All they have to do really is to state that they will not disable any of the third party apps. That would then satisfy at least those who are finding it difficult. Mine can boot to desktop and I never need to see any other screens/apps. I don't find that W8 'Forces' me to do anything.......
    I read the rumours around 8.1 to mean that a boot to desktop option will be included.....
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launchpad in OS X isn't forced on the user the same way the W8 Start screen is. You don't have to use Launchpad if you don't want to. I have it on my Macbook Air and it boots straight to the desktop and I take it from there. The Duplo tiles, on the other hand, are forced on the user and there is no option to boot to desktop in W8, but this will probably change in Windows Blue.

It's a silly comparison as the Launch pad is totally optional and just runs as an app in its own right. And you can even remove it from the dock if you don't fancy seeing the icon.

The only thing that annoyed me in the latest Osx was the default scroll behavior was changed on the touch-pad, soon fixed by a setting in preferences.

I don't think Microsoft will have a choice, there isn't a chance in hell anyone in the business world will touch windows 8 until the mad fisher price interface can be done away with by official setting changes
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Windows 8.1 include apps in windows - now that would be good.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    All they have to do really is to state that they will not disable any of the third party apps. That would then satisfy at least those who are finding it difficult. Mine can boot to desktop and I never need to see any other screens/apps. I don't find that W8 'Forces' me to do anything.......
    I read the rumours around 8.1 to mean that a boot to desktop option will be included.....

That's daft, Microsoft can never make any assurances about 3rd party apps being compatible with future versions of windows.

We're getting some new machines at work and they probably would have had windows 8 but it wont be touched with a bargepole until the silly tile menu can be disabled in the OS officially.

They can easily keep the tile interface as optional ( like the Osx launch pad ) if some people like it or it works for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not probably, the code already exists. I applaud Microsoft for trying to evolve their interface, as an actual user of Windows 8 and not just a commenter, I feel like the UI does have it's positives in daily use, especially when bored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were putting back the Start menu. It'll be interesting to see if this version of Windows will be a good one.
    bobcar wrote: »

Nope, only a start button and that is not 100% certain, also talk of booting to desktop.

If they disable third party add ons then I will go back to windows 7, i refuse to use the modern UI. I doubt they will disable third party add ons. anyway, just because they bring out a update, i don't have to update to it, certainly not if it is not free.

TheBigM is correct, it is the lack of a start button more than the lack of a start menu that is annoying some people. Saying that Microsoft don't help, in fact that is the point they don't help. you sit someone in front of a windows 8 desktop and they are stuck, because there is nothing there to say you got to do anything to get to a menu.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Speaking as an elderly XP user the reintroduction of the start button would be a good idea and do we need charming ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually running Windows 8.1 as a dual boot and it's great so far. The enhancements made the Modern UI better to use with a keyboard and mouse.

But if we wanted Launchpad on OS X then we would be a Mac. People buy windows because it is what they are used to and maybe because it is available on different hardware, but then so is Linux. you start changing that look too much and people get confused.

Metro is awful with a mouse and keyboard and I can't see how it can be made any better. Before i disabled metro it had 3 screen full of tiles and most of them was no use. Also how many people are going to stay on the metro screen anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM is correct, it is the lack of a start button more than the lack of a start menu that is annoying some people. Saying that Microsoft don't help, in fact that is the point they don't help. you sit someone in front of a windows 8 desktop and they are stuck, because there is nothing there to say you got to do anything to get to a menu.

The start button is still there, they just moved it to the charm bar. In daily use I don't see myself missing it much at all. It didn't really do anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not probably, the code already exists. I applaud Microsoft for trying to evolve their interface, as an actual user of Windows 8 and not just a commenter, I feel like the UI does have it's positives in daily use, especially when bored.

you must be really bored then, because so far I have seen nothing positive about the UI. i am a actual user as well by the way.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone who has actually seen 8.1, can you comment on whether there is any sign of a Start button/menu?

So far all I have seen is speculation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has actually seen 8.1, can you comment on whether there is any sign of a Start button/menu?

So far all I have seen is speculation.

No start button. There was a regedit command "YoBettaHideYoPearl", pearl meaning start button present for a while but I think that's long gone now. "CanSuppressStartScreen" definitely exists, though I haven't tried it myself.

So no sign of it yet, but it is interesting to note that Microsoft did keep the code for the start button hidden within Windows 8 for quite a while before they decided it wasn't going to feature in the final UI. I would be surprised if they did bring it back however, considering all the noise they made over the decision to remove it, but it's possible.