Live Premier League Games 2012/13

Comments

• wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The midweeks of Tuesday 21st/Wednesday 22nd August and Tuesday 28th/Wednesday 29th August are the playoff round for the champions league, and also the Thursdays of those midweeks (Thursday 23rd August and Thursday 30th August) are the playoff round days for the Europa League. Newcastle and Liverpool if Liverpool qualify will be competing in these matches.

There is at least however no English club in the playoff round of the champions league. As Chelsea won the competition without finishing in the top 4, they automatically got into the group stage, with the playoff place left by Tottenham who go straight into the Europa League group stage, being filled with teams from other countries.

If Chelsea have any team (apart from Newcastle or Liverpool) in week 3, hopefully they can move the fixture to one of them dates to play their game ahead of their UEFA Super Cup match.

In my opinion I see no reason why there shouldn't be a full fixture list (apart from Newcastle and Liverpools games being rearranged.)
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really necessary for all London clubs to play away during the Paralympics?

It's not as if there will be much trouble at the Paralympics to require a large police presence.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    point should be made that all London clubs don't play at home on normal weekends, arsenal and spurs, chelsea and fulham for example, they alternate who plays at home.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't some London clubs play their games on Friday 31st August?
  • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps when they come out BT could tell us which games they'd be showing if their deal started next season! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe they won't.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Can't some London clubs play their games on Friday 31st August?

errr Paralympics is a week long event...
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will London clubs in League's 1 and 2 playing on September 8th have to move those games too?

Not sure; but there could be an issue with Leyton Orient (see post no.22)
    Is it really necessary for all London clubs to play away during the Paralympics?

It's not as if there will be much trouble at the Paralympics to require a large police presence.

It's nothing to do with (potential) trouble; more to do with the size of the event(s) and having adequate police resources.
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say that all northern teams will be a home on Sep 1st and Sep 8th then if London clubs can't play at home on this days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opening day fixtures:

Arsenal v Sunderland
    Everton v Manchester United
    Fulham v Norwich City
    Manchester City v Southampton
    Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
    Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City
    Reading v Stoke City
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool
    West Ham United v Aston Villa
    Wigan Athletic v Chelsea

Games for TV in my opinion:

WBA v Liverpool
    Wigan v Chelsea
    Newcastle v Tottenham
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you're on the subject, according to reports (but I can't find a link), no London club will be allowed to play at home on the weekend of 1st September, due to the Paralympics.

Well. . . Reading have Chelsea at Stamford bridge on the 1st September (provisionally) - so so much for that theory! I wonder if that will be a live game as it is a sort of local derby.

As expected, Reading's first home game is a bit of an anti-climax - Stoke. Though looking at the rest of the fixture list I do wonder if I will get picked given that we've just come up. Man City v Southampton is the shoe in and I expect Everton V Man U and maybe Newcastle v Spurs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well. . . Reading have Chelsea at Stamford bridge on the 1st September (provisionally) - so so much for that theory! I wonder if that will be a live game as it is a sort of local derby.

As expected, Reading's first home game is a bit of an anti-climax - Stoke. Though looking at the rest of the fixture list I do wonder if I will get picked given that we've just come up. Man City v Southampton is the shoe in and I expect Everton V Man U and maybe Newcastle v Spurs.

I predict Chelsea v Reading will get postponed as Chelsea are playing in the Super Cup Final in Monaco!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict Chelsea v Reading will get postponed as Chelsea are playing in the Super Cup Final in Monaco!

Ah, good point.
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know how the TV games might be affected by the August bank holiday?

Also, does ESPN have 23 3rd pick matches next season, or is it a combination or different order picks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stato77 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the TV games might be affected by the August bank holiday?

Also, does ESPN have 23 3rd pick matches next season, or is it a combination or different order picks?

I assume that there won't be a game on that Monday night due to policing issues?
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,060
    Forum Member
    There'll not be a game that Monday night unless it's between 2 teams in Europe who don't have a European game that midweek, as the 2nd round of the Capital One Cup is that week.
  • loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    From memory ESPN have 8 2nd picks, and 15 4th picks next year. Have to show every team, but can show a team up to 5 times.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For your information, approximate commencement dates for broadcast selections are as follows:
    From my local club

Changes to to finalising fixtures must be notified to the League no later than Monday 25th June 2012. The League plan to circulate changes to draft fixtures including TV picks (matches Aug-Nov) by July 5th

''For your information approximate commencement dates for broadcast selections are as follows

August – 30 November: 20 June

December: 17 Sept

January: 17 Oct

February: 19 Nov

March: 3 Jan

April: 30 Jan

May: 25 Mar (Round 38 excluded)
  • loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    Quick glance at the fixtures. Sky have dodged a bullet with 22/09 fixtures- Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U playing each other, but no CL midweek.

For ESPN, key weeks are before CL matchdays 1-6. Before each matchday, I think the following is likely (Sky can use a pick at 12.45):

Key is that ESPN can show a top four team, sky on these weekends can only show a CL team at Sat 12.45, although there is the chance of swaps as what happened last year.

There is a lot of big matches before a CL week.

ESPN will probably get:

1- Stoke V Man City or QPR V Chelsea
    2- Man Utd V Spurs (Sky will go Arsenal V Chelsea)
    3- Complicated, may go Tyne and Wear Derby over other games in Sun slot
    4- West Ham V Man City
    5- Man City V Villa or Norwich V Man Utd
    6- Man City V Everton, West Ham V Chelsea, Reading V Man Utd (at least 2 of these are options)
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Everton v Manchester United was PremPlus' opening game in 2005/06, wasn't it?

I think Sky will pick that and City, ESPN will choose Newcastle and Spurs.
  • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for asking this 2 years into the current deal, but how does ESPN's 2nd pick quota work. Can they opt to have it any week they want or do Sky 'give them' the weeks when they don't wish to use it for whatever reason. Just wondering as last season Sky had 'Big 6' double headers some weekends (City-Spurs, Arsenal-United for example) yet on other big double header weekends ESPN got one of the games (Spurs v City early last season for example).
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Chelsea play Wigan on the opening day yet again.
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Games finish on the 12th

The Community Shield is on the 12th so I assume the PL will start on the 18th.

Remember also that there is no summer tournament so the PL can end a week or two later than it did this season so they might not feel the need to squeeze in an early midweek fixture.

Sky Sports do not have the rights to show the charity shield from this year (2012) onwards

ITV now have exclusive rights as per this new deal

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/englandinternationals/news/itv-sign-new-deal-england-fa-cup-2014-12908/
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    For your information, approximate commencement dates for broadcast selections are as follows:
    From my local club

Changes to to finalising fixtures must be notified to the League no later than Monday 25th June 2012. The League plan to circulate changes to draft fixtures including TV picks (matches Aug-Nov) by July 5th

''For your information approximate commencement dates for broadcast selections are as follows

August – 30 November: 20 June

December: 17 Sept

January: 17 Oct

February: 19 Nov

March: 3 Jan

April: 30 Jan

May: 25 Mar (Round 38 excluded)

Please could you provide me with a link to this info?
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opening day fixtures:

Arsenal v Sunderland
    Fulham v Norwich City
    Manchester City v Southampton
    Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
    Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City
    Reading v Stoke City
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool