Jason's remarks about Ray

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
How come Jason can say things alluding to fancying Ray (the other week about the sprinkler) and things he said last night and get away with it, whereas if, say, it had been a straight guy on the panel (I can only think of Nicky) saying similar about, say, Jorgie or Beth, they would have been called perverts and Yewtree targets?

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's obviously a line when it comes to what you can say, and as there weren't any straight guys on the panel it's a moot point, but had a straight male judge made a similar 'Phew, I need a sprinkler' comment after a particularly sexy routine by a hot female skater, I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. The only analogy I can think of is Len Goodman and Forsyth making similar comments on SCD and no-one cares (as in no-one's offended). I thought it was interesting that it was Robin that said something like 'Get the sprinkler on these two', referring only to Karen and Ashley, and Jason chimed in with 'Me too!'. I don't know if Robin didn't want to 'out' Jason, or draw attention to his sexuality, or simply didn't see any obvious reaction from him, but it was Jason himself who didn't want anyone to think he wasn't excited by it.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    There's obviously a line when it comes to what you can say, and as there weren't any straight guys on the panel it's a moot point, but had a straight male judge made a similar 'Phew, I need a sprinkler' comment after a particularly sexy routine by a hot female skater, I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. The only analogy I can think of is Len Goodman and Forsyth making similar comments on SCD and no-one cares (as in no-one's offended). I thought it was interesting that it was Robin that said something like 'Get the sprinkler on these two', referring only to Karen and Ashley, and Jason chimed in with 'Me too!'. I don't know if Robin didn't want to 'out' Jason, or draw attention to his sexuality, or simply didn't see any obvious reaction from him, but it was Jason himself who didn't want anyone to think he wasn't excited by it.

Isn't Robin straight?
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    And the first comment was said by Robin about the girls and only then Jason included himself in that. So hardly just Jason making a comment.

And yes. why shouldn't Jason make a fancying comment. Gay men are attracted to men so as it's 2014, why shouldn't he make them? I mean we have shows "take Me Out" that are completely based on sexual attraction.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yes. why shouldn't Jason make a fancying comment. Gay men are attracted to men so as it's 2014, why shouldn't he make them? I mean we have shows "take Me Out" that are completely based on sexual attraction.

I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with double standards though.
  • lady*taralady*tara Posts: 19,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Isn't Robin straight?
    No I don't think so
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason was just commenting how Ray got the passion of the routine over (speaking as a dance expert). Another week he said 'I'd have a highland fling with you Beth'. :)
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Isn't Robin straight?

I dont believe so
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I think on Strictly Bruno and Craig have made various comments to male dancers and pro celebs that I have found a bit embarrassing to be honest! It seems anything goes on TV at the moment. Personally I could do without these kinds of comments on TV. I am not interested if a judge is "turned on" by a celeb or not. I only want their comment about the performance not how fabulous a male celeb's chest is etc. I also disliked it when Arlene used to go crazy about some of the male celebs. Why do judges need to make comments like that. Arlene was 60 something and Mark Ramperkash (spelling) was about 30 when she was all over him!! Yuck
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Jason was just commenting how Ray got the passion of the routine over (speaking as a dance expert). Another week he said 'I'd have a highland fling with you Beth'. :)

He actually said to Ray he would try and only look at his face and ignore his chest after his routine in swimming shorts and no shirt!!! and that he was really "hot" after Ray danced the Spanish "Flemingo" (Spelling??) with Maria. Why can't Jason be like Robin and have some dignity. It is quite well known that Robin is gay although he has not officially confirmed this!!
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that Ray seemed to lap up the comments from Karen and Ashley but rolled his eyes pointedly at some of Jason's. I did think it might be how he said it, but at the final the other night the one Ray really seemed to have issue with (a bit oddly I have to say) was Jason saying he needed to cover his eyes a bit so he wasn't distracted by Ray's torso after the beach routine.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    He actually said to Ray he would try and only look at his face and ignore his chest after his routine in swimming shorts and no shirt!!! and that he was really "hot" after Ray danced the Spanish "Flemingo" (Spelling??) with Maria. Why can't Jason be like Robin and have some dignity. It is quite well known that Robin is gay although he has not officially confirmed this!!

So it'd now dignified to hide your sexuality is it?

But only if you are gay it would seem!

The girls can dress in skimpy dresses in every routine and get comments but that is always missed as that sort of sexuality is judged OK.

It's the standard homophobic remark where if a gay person notes their sexuality, they are ramming in people's faces, yet there is wall to wall straight sex everywhere.

Now that is where the double standards are.
  • humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I noticed that Ray seemed to lap up the comments from Karen and Ashley but rolled his eyes pointedly at some of Jason's. I did think it might be how he said it, but at the final the other night the one Ray really seemed to have issue with (a bit oddly I have to say) was Jason saying he needed to cover his eyes a bit so he wasn't distracted by Ray's torso after the beach routine.

I didn't see that at all...he took all the comments in good spirits and laughed along with it, and that includes Jasons - he even mentioned it in his interview on Monday about Jasons reactions and it was clear they were all taken in the way they should have been. I don't understand why you think he 'took an issue with Jason'? The fact that he was wiggling his chest muscles in response to Jasons comments, shows he clearly did not have an issue with it and was not only taking it in good fun, but playing along too. I never saw any eye rolling, but I did see lots of smiles and chuckles. It seems like we were watching two different shows?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of the 'sexy' comments, its not the part I look forward to the most. But in terms of double standards, I don't think there is any difference whether its Jason or Arlene (ie straight women or gay man) making the comments, and in this day and age it most definitely shouldn't be.

I think there might be a slight difference when commenting on the males rather than the females though - I think men may be slightly more wary of giving those comments out in case it comes across as sleezy, whereas with women it isn't judged quite in the same way, - and that just reflects the differences on the outside world imo too. The coke commercial is a classic example - a group of women using any old excuse to get the man to strip off and then oggling him is seen as nothing but good fun. But I think had the commercial shown a group of men doing the same thing to a female, it would receive quite a number of complaints.

As much as those type of comments on the show can get a bit boring, I don't think its a big deal to be honest, and the judges usually just do it to get an 'ooh' from the audience anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see that at all...he took all the comments in good spirits and laughed along with it, and that includes Jasons - he even mentioned it in his interview on Monday about Jasons reactions and it was clear they were all taken in the way they should have been. I don't understand why you think he 'took an issue with Jason'? The fact that he was wiggling his chest muscles in response to Jasons comments, shows he clearly did not have an issue with it and was not only taking it in good fun, but playing along too. I never saw any eye rolling, but I did see lots of smiles and chuckles. It seems like we were watching two different shows?:)

We were watching the same show. I'm presently in a library and without the benefit of headphones so can't log onto ITV player and try to isolate the relevant clip ;)

I did see the camera cut to Ray and he appeared to roll his eyes after Jason made the torso comment. I said Ray seemed (on the basis of the rolleyes) to take an issue with that particular comment, not with Jason per se. I also said I thought it was a bit odd, as I hadn't seen anything else from him in that vein either. Perhaps the roll eyes were in response to someone or something else at that exact same moment? But I don't think I am mistaken about the expression.

I wouldn't blame him if he got a bit fed up of there being so much of such comment, but then again I'd have expected him to be fed up with it period, not just from one judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching the same show. I'm presently in a library and without the benefit of headphones so can't log onto ITV player and try to isolate the relevant clip ;)

I did see the camera cut to Ray and he appeared to roll his eyes after Jason made the torso comment. I said Ray seemed (on the basis of the rolleyes) to take an issue with that particular comment, not with Jason per se. I also said I thought it was a bit odd, as I hadn't seen anything else from him in that vein either. Perhaps the roll eyes were in response to someone or something else at that exact same moment? But I don't think I am mistaken about the expression.

I wouldn't blame him if he got a bit fed up of there being so much of such comment, but then again I'd have expected him to be fed up with it period, not just from one judge.

I won't doubt you :) but if he did roll his eyes at one particular point, I'm absolutely sure it wasn't in relation to Ray being annoyed or even fed up with Jasons comments. Its in his nature to take it all in good fun, he has done throughout the show, and he laps up every kind of compliment and takes them well. He knew what Jason has been like throughout the series, so after having danced with his top off, it would have surprised him had he not received those comments from him. And it was Ray, not Jason, who was carrying it on by wiggling his muscles at him and laughing out loud, when Jason had already began talking more serious stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't doubt you :) but if he did roll his eyes at one particular point, I'm absolutely sure it wasn't in relation to Ray being annoyed or even fed up with Jasons comments. Its in his nature to take it all in good fun, he has done throughout the show, and he laps up every kind of compliment and takes them well. He knew what Jason has been like throughout the series, so after having danced with his top off, it would have surprised him had he not received those comments from him. And it was Ray, not Jason, who was carrying it on by wiggling his muscles at him and laughing out loud, when Jason had already began talking more serious stuff!

Not that such adulation has ever troubled me, but I suspect there must come a point when with such frequency and as a precursor to almost anything else it would rather get on one's wick :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that such adulation has ever troubled me, but I suspect there must come a point when with such frequency and as a precursor to almost anything else it would rather get on one's wick :D

I watched it back, and I'm sticking by the view that his 'rolling eyes in annoyance' face is in fact his 'concentrating on moving my chest muscles' face :D
  • TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Its OK for women and gay men to comment on a man, but neither lesbians or straight men would dare comment on a women like that - It would be seen as sleezy #doublestandards - although saying that I think Ray liked the comments especially from Karen & Ashley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it back, and I'm sticking by the view that his 'rolling eyes in annoyance' face is in fact his 'concentrating on moving my chest muscles' face :D

I've had a look back (curse that ITV player and the pesky ads!) at the clip, which on there is at about 34.42. To be fair, I didn't quite say "in annoyance" - though I did think he was sort of saying in a fed up sort of way "tsk, is that all you care about Jason" But you might be right, he might just have been winding him up all the more. :D
  • janymacjanymac Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a look back (curse that ITV player and the pesky ads!) at the clip, which on there is at about 34.42. To be fair, I didn't quite say "in annoyance" - though I did think he was sort of saying in a fed up sort of way "tsk, is that all you care about Jason" But you might be right, he might just have been winding him up all the more. :D

He was not rolling his eyes at all. Just using the TV monitor as a mirror, that would have been above him, to see if the tease of making his muscles move was working/visible:D. He is a seasoned actor and knows how to use his environment to his advantage. Although he was probably just feeling high spirited, he did look at bit like he was not concentrating or taking it seriously.

I do not think that the judges do him any favours by judging him like they do- it puts some people off as they don't like obvious winners, and to be honest with some of the comments, although I agreed with them and felt very proud of him (for some strange reason :blush:) I did feel sorry for all the other contestants who might have wondered why they bothered turning up!

Personally I am in great awe of Ray- his work ethic, his perfectionism and his ambition.
    It does annoy me that everyone refers to him as the X factor runner up when he has been a successful actor since the age of 8 (won an award) and also is world champion at dancing while he was growing up as well. It also ( I get it off my chest- probably wrong thread!), not arrogant or cocky and cannot understand how people have managed to get that sort of opinion of him. You only had to see how nervous he was waiting for results on the night to see he is not as confident as he sometimes looks. He just knows how to perform and put his best front forward.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    lady*tara wrote: »
    No I don't think so

no he's gay