People Like Us (The Only Way Is Harpurhey) BBC 3

Comments

• wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with this. I haven't seen every minute of every epi but it's obviously very slanted. I don't know what most people are like in Harpurhey these days, having left there in 1968, but three things stand out.

FIrstly they keep describing it as an estate (a pejorative word these days). Well tonight's epi gave the lie to that, didn't it? Obviously it's just a part of old Manchester that has been partly reinvented and partly not.

Secondly they described the market as the centre of the community (Epi 1) to give the impression that the people are too poor to use the shops. What they didn't say is that the market is part of Manchester North Shopping City, a large modern complex that now dominates the northern part of Hapurhey. Have they mentioned that yet?

Thirdly they are using the name 'Harpurhey' because it was once described as the most deprived area in Britain, and yet they evidently couldn't find enough people there who were low enough for their agenda, so they've had to cast the net wider. I have located Wishy Washy and Stax - they are not in Harpurhey at all but up the hill in Moston. Nicola's mum (Epi 2) was described as living two miles south of there. That could be anywhere from Collyhurst through Miles Platting to Clayton, but certainly isn't Harpurhey. And Nicola herself has a council flat "north of Harpurhey", which means Blackley.
    Forum Member
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    I watched this programme because in the 60's I went to Harpurhey High School for Girls which was THE school to go to.
    Dead right! I remember that school and its posh reputation. The height of poshness was pronouncing your H's, so we used to go around putting on posh voices and chanting "At Harpurhey High School we Hang our Hats on High Hooks in the Hall"!

Actually I'm surprised at how many Hs are being pronounced in this series. I haven't heard a single "Aapuray" yet. Maybe they've been coached to avoid confusing the viewers!
  • CloudyECloudyE Posts: 9,230
    Forum Member
    That Paul seems a really decent guy and a good dad.

The mum is a lazy swamp monster. :eek:

He was doing pretty well and his daughter was responding well, BUT, then he comitted the mortal (dopey parents) sin, stating that he did not go to school and suddenly staying off school and wasting your young life became attractive again to her.

What is wrong with parents, your kids WILL be what you make them, no matter what you have got or where ever you live!!

Edit - For such an apparently hard up area, the notes Mrs Wishy had on her last week and the car they drive means there must be mega bucks in dirty laundry. Who knew!
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's interesting how times change. They run a squalid launderette during the day and take their dogs to Foxdenton Park in the middle of the night. My father was a divisional sales controller for ICI, but I remember Foxdenton Park as a place we could never get to because we didn't have a car!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's interesting how times change. They run a squalid launderette during the day and take their dogs to Foxdenton Park in the middle of the night. My father was a divisional sales controller for ICI, but I remember Foxdenton Park as a place we could never get to because we didn't have a car!

Thats no way to talk about the wife and her daughter, and you only go to a park in the middle of the night if you are truly dogging. :D
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats no way to talk about the wife and her daughter, and you only go to a park in the middle of the night if you are truly dogging. :D

:D:D
    I love this show still. The Wishy Washy family are my favourites.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a bloody hilarious programme ..sticky fingered Lil wearingt the tracksuit bottoms she borrowed. :D

If this is scripted please write a sitcom is all I can say.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I just can't believe people live like this. Disgusting chavs.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was intrigued to see the gate open at that time in the morning. Made me wonder if claims that at least some things were staged is true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead right! I remember that school and its posh reputation. The height of poshness was pronouncing your H's, so we used to go around putting on posh voices and chanting "At Harpurhey High School we Hang our Hats on High Hooks in the Hall"!

Actually I'm surprised at how many Hs are being pronounced in this series. I haven't heard a single "Aapuray" yet. Maybe they've been coached to avoid confusing the viewers!

By the time I was a lad it had gone downhill as had Moston Brook. My missus went to North Manchester Girls and that was even worse, but the headmistress acted like it was Roedean!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depended where you lived I guess, a few buses stop nearbyish.
  • AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with this. I haven't seen every minute of every epi but it's obviously very slanted. I don't know what most people are like in Harpurhey these days, having left there in 1968, but three things stand out.

FIrstly they keep describing it as an estate (a pejorative word these days). Well tonight's epi gave the lie to that, didn't it? Obviously it's just a part of old Manchester that has been partly reinvented and partly not.

Secondly they described the market as the centre of the community (Epi 1) to give the impression that the people are too poor to use the shops. What they didn't say is that the market is part of Manchester North Shopping City, a large modern complex that now dominates the northern part of Hapurhey. Have they mentioned that yet?

Thirdly they are using the name 'Harpurhey' because it was once described as the most deprived area in Britain, and yet they evidently couldn't find enough people there who were low enough for their agenda, so they've had to cast the net wider. I have located Wishy Washy and Stax - they are not in Harpurhey at all but up the hill in Moston. Nicola's mum (Epi 2) was described as living two miles south of there. That could be anywhere from Collyhurst through Miles Platting to Clayton, but certainly isn't Harpurhey. And Nicola herself has a council flat "north of Harpurhey", which means Blackley.

Ive also noticed theyve been a bit creative with the locations too. Some scenes on the last episode were filmed as far away as Chadderton/Oldham!
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you call a velour tracksuit?

A Harpurhey tuxedo.

I'm sure good people do live there. Sadly, I have only encountered the less than civilised ones.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure good people do live there. Sadly, I have only encountered the less than civilised ones.
    I do like Donna (the hairdresser).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Im finding it very interesting. I dont live IN harpurhey but I do shop there quite a lot as its local. Some of the places they've shown though are no where near Hph and some are on Moston Lane.

Over all the people come over as kind but odd with family loyalties which I guess is right but to be honest I dont know many people who swear that much and they seem to have missed out on 90% of the population who are just trying to make a living and get by.

Then again as I said to my neighbours who were complaining about how bad it makes the area look if a tv crew had come round knocking on doors asking us to be a show I sure as hell wouldnt lol
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol dunno how missed the episode on now.

Anyone counted the pitbulls?? At least 4 I've spotted now :rolleyes:
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    LOL I used to get my haircut at Stax as a kid :D

FYI Dale's mum Lisa was in Moon Under The Water on deansgate last weekend........'signing autographs' :):)

The show is stightly staged tho.....at the auditions they plied them with alchohol in town before the cameras even started rolling....then they told them to kick off.

I agree tho...the majority of it is not Harpurhey its mostly Moston.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Lol dunno how missed the episode on now.

Anyone counted the pitbulls?? At least 4 I've spotted now :rolleyes:

You'd call a yorkshire terrier a pitbull , the white ones are boxer dogs for a start.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    LOL I used to get my haircut at Stax as a kid :D

FYI Dale's mum Lisa was in Moon Under The Water on deansgate last weekend........'signing autographs' :):)

The show is stightly staged tho.....at the auditions they plied them with alchohol in town before the cameras even started rolling....then they told them to kick off.

I agree tho...the majority of it is not Harpurhey its mostly Moston.

Not much difference though is there - Harpurhey, Moston, Ancoats, Collyhurst, Monsall - it's all pretty much the same, and I was brought up in Blackley (also spent a lot of time at relatives in Langley, went to school in Crumpsall - Abraham Moss) so I know what rough is!! Used to go to Harpurhey market regularly (although not for a couple of years but I still go to the area when visiting my mother in Blackley) and I don't see they've got an awful lot to complain about in terms of how they're being represented on tv - am not saying they're ALL like that but a good proportion is.

(my friend used to work in Staks as a trainee years ago :D)
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    that little girl reminds me of a slightly older Honey Boo or whatever she's called. Did they let her have pro-plus, I was only half-watching? Must be some dollar in that launderette as they seem to do o.k.
    That lady that had been to a meeting with her neighbour about being evicted and when she got back started gobbing off at all the kids on bikes:eek:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    that little girl reminds me of a slightly older Honey Boo or whatever she's called. Did they let her have pro-plus, I was only half-watching? Must be some dollar in that launderette as they seem to do o.k.
    That lady that had been to a meeting with her neighbour about being evicted and when she got back started gobbing off at all the kids on bikes:eek:

Seem to do ok? Their house isn't exactly the Ritz, what makes you think they are doing ok?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last one tonight :(
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    You'd call a yorkshire terrier a pitbull , the white ones are boxer dogs for a start.

Lol no, I do know what a boxer looks like (not that I agreed with the breeding of them tbh)

There was a couple of lads standing with two pit types, one wandering the road and one shown when that landlord came to check for cannabis plants.

Nout against the breed, just don't like documentaries such as these showing that they are owned by a certain type of person IYKWIM.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirty chavs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Programs like this are just annoying. Im sure that stereotypes around the country arent real just something we see on tv.

I mean all christians arent fanatics
    All brummies arent thick
    all doodahs arent whatever (cant think of any other)

and all people from north manchester arent dirty chavs or whatever.

I live around there and have 10 o'levels (yeah Im old) left school and asked for a job which I got and worked full time until I left to travel New Zealand. Came back and was unemployed for a week before being offered a job I applied for before travelling. Since then I have various other qualifications which to be honest Im never sure whats best amongst them as they keep changing.

As I said before its only the ones who want TV fame who jump at being laughed at. I must add having lived around here for 15yrs Ive NEVER seen gypsy horses being trotted over the road. I wouldnt mind if I had as Ive seen a fair number of strange things and I accept the area I live isnt full of perfect people but is any area?