Now that it's all over

JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would like to mention some of the other people who have impressed me:

Christine, the hostess with the mostest. We could do with her in Strictly Come Dancing.

Ashley - I had never heard of her before this but she is immensely likeable and I hope she finds another job in this country.

Maria, my favourite of the women professionals. Although she is 40 years old, and 15 years older than Ray, she seemed like a teenager just out having fun with her boyfriend.

Jason seemed slightly less obnoxious this year. If the show had gone on for three or four more years I might have eventually got to like him.

Comments

• wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that it's all over, would anyone like to see it come back at some point?

I'd actually like to see annual specials, though unless they used past contestants, or celebs who can already skate a bit, of course it would be a lot of time invested in training for perhaps just one show.
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Now that it's all over, would anyone like to see it come back at some point?

I'd actually like to see annual specials, though unless they used past contestants, or celebs who can already skate a bit, of course it would be a lot of time invested in training for perhaps just one show.

Maybe a Christmas special in a couple of years time, or a 10 year anniversary in 2016?
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a Christmas special in a couple of years time, or a 10 year anniversary in 2016?

As long as they don't play Bolero again! To me it's the most boring piece of music ever written. I liked it at first but when it got to verse 15 I began to dope off. I often wonder what John Curry my idol would have thought of it. I think it would have driven him crazy after verse 6.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now it's all over, I feel like digging my DOI DVD's out and rewatching again ;-)

Shame they didn't do one for every series :kitty:

Then I'll start on the tour DVD's :)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...let's hope this is the start of the deathknell of reality shows.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...let's hope this is the start of the deathknell of reality shows.

I think these shows are on their way out. It'll probably be BGT that goes next, then the X Factor. IAC and Strictly don't seem to be as affected by the decline yet, but they won't last forever either.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I think these shows are on their way out. It'll probably be BGT that goes next, then the X Factor. IAC and Strictly don't seem to be as affected by the decline yet, but they won't last forever either.

I think with Strictly it is vital that they get good contestants. Personally I hate reality TV and cannot believe in 2014 we actually have shows like "The Bachelor" on TV with women desperately trying to win him!!! Good grief. X factor and BGT are now dreadfully boring. Half the time you cannot remember who won last year. Very occasionally they find real talent but not often.

Big Brother etc I have always found degrading and cannot believe how desperate some Z listers are to remain in the limelight. Perhaps the GBP have grown tired of people being ridiculed on TV. The few times I have seen X Factor or BGT I used to cringe at the deluded ones who had no idea they were dreadful and everyone laughed at them. Horrendous. I think these shows were fortunate that none of the contestants reacted to the humiliation on National TV and tried to hurt themselves. We are dealing often with young teenagers but nobody protected them. I do not understand how producers of these shows could see this as entertainment.
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show could have been saved had they fixed problems a few years ago, but part of that would be T&D not choreographing which would render them a bit pointless.

I just want to see ice dancing as entertainment on TV again at some point - whether via T&D (as judges perhaps) or Robin and Karen, but I think there is going to be a massive void for me. We have plenty of dance shows (even BGT has plenty of dance) but now no skating.
  • reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show would be so much better if it came back without Torvill and Dean. I know it's their baby but honestly, the amount of time devoted to T&D self agrandissement is just ridiculous! Guys, you won it ONCE - a long time ago. Get over yourselves. It should have less padding, more celeb skating - that is all. Otherwise it's just the Jayne and Chris show with the celebs playing bit parts. Boring. If we want to see Bolero again, we can watch it on youtube, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    The show would be so much better if it came back without Torvill and Dean. I know it's their baby but honestly, the amount of time devoted to T&D self agrandissement is just ridiculous! Guys, you won it ONCE - a long time ago. Get over yourselves. It should have less padding, more celeb skating - that is all. Otherwise it's just the Jayne and Chris show with the celebs playing bit parts. Boring. If we want to see Bolero again, we can watch it on youtube, thanks.

You've got to be kidding right? Yes they are mostly associated with the Winter Olympics Gold but they also were British champions 7 times, European champions 4 times and World champions 4 times! I wouldn't like to see it come back without them in some capacity.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So much ignorance in this comment I don't even know where to start....
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mnc wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding right? Yes they are mostly associated with the Winter Olympics Gold but they also were British champions 7 times, European champions 4 times and World champions 4 times! I wouldn't like to see it come back without them in some capacity.
    So much ignorance in this comment I don't even know where to start....

I think reclinewithme has a point. Yes, T&D have other accomplishments, but their fame is largely due to Olympics gold, which they did win only once, 30 years ago. It's Bolero we're shown again and again and again, not their other routines. Why? Partly, at least, because it's all most people remember.

I am sick of Bolero, and although T&D are very talented, even they don't seem up to the task of creating good routines for all of the contestants in DOI who are capable of doing such routines. I don't think DOi works very well with T&D designing the vast majority of the routines; and it's unfair for outside choreographers to give one contestant a great routine (Hayley, Jai Ho) when others don't get an equal benefit. (Yes, I know it's not the only time outside choreographers have been involved.)

Still, if DOI returned, I'd like DOI to be involved in some way, perhaps as judges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently this was going to be Kyran's flying costume :o

https://twitter.com/KyranBracken/status/437533830308958208/photo/1

Also random comments:

Nick Keenan ‏@Nickbkeenan 19h
    @gareththomas14 @KyranBracken is it just me or does Kyran have a huge head??

Kyran Bracken ‏@KyranBracken 19h
    @Nickbkeenan @gareththomas14 you mean big headed or literally a big sized head-there's a big difference!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Brianne's twitter:

Girl pro's from 2010:

Molly (centre) was with Bobby Davro :)

https://twitter.com/BrianneTV/status/447392408754737152/photo/1
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I'd say X Factor will be next, then BGT. Strangely enough there hasn't been much hype about BGT this year so far. I wonder are people getting fed up of it? In general though I think people are getting fed up of tacky reality TV and going back to dramas, in particular period dramas. Look how successful the likes of Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife are. US shows like Game of Thrones (is that from the States) also seems to be doing well.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I'd say X Factor will be next, then BGT. Strangely enough there hasn't been much hype about BGT this year so far. I wonder are people getting fed up of it? In general though I think people are getting fed up of tacky reality TV and going back to dramas, in particular period dramas. Look how successful the likes of Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife are. US shows like Game of Thrones (is that from the States) also seems to be doing well.

I do hope we will see the end of Reality TV shows fairly soon, I only watch now just because I have always watched them. I love Dramas, as for Game of Thrones, I'm just started reading the books:o.

I am also enjoying the World Ice-skating Championships at the moment on Eurosport but then I have always preferred the real thing to Dancing on Ice.:) The ladies event is just out of this world at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think with Strictly it is vital that they get good contestants. Personally I hate reality TV and cannot believe in 2014 we actually have shows like "The Bachelor" on TV with women desperately trying to win him!!! Good grief. X factor and BGT are now dreadfully boring. Half the time you cannot remember who won last year. Very occasionally they find real talent but not often.

Big Brother etc I have always found degrading and cannot believe how desperate some Z listers are to remain in the limelight. Perhaps the GBP have grown tired of people being ridiculed on TV. The few times I have seen X Factor or BGT I used to cringe at the deluded ones who had no idea they were dreadful and everyone laughed at them. Horrendous. I think these shows were fortunate that none of the contestants reacted to the humiliation on National TV and tried to hurt themselves. We are dealing often with young teenagers but nobody protected them. I do not understand how producers of these shows could see this as entertainment.

Reality show is such a sweeping term for what is actually quite a mixture of programmes. How can we compare a show based on talent or learning a skill, with one that is just about putting people in difficult situations? I would be quite happy for the former to stay, but I certainly wouldn't miss the latter.

We've actually always had shows based on talent and real life anyway, they just used to go by different names!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    Reality show is such a sweeping term for what is actually quite a mixture of programmes. How can we compare a show based on talent or learning a skill, with one that is just about putting people in difficult situations? I would be quite happy for the former to stay, but I certainly wouldn't miss the latter.

We've actually always had shows based on talent and real life anyway, they just used to go by different names!

The problem is the public tired, or was seen to tire, of the shows which relied on personalities to generate dramas, and they became incompatible with both a PC culture. The production teams continually dumbed them down - while trying to generate something artificial to watch. When it works, reality TV its still better drama than most writers could write - the last celebrity Big brother showed the medium still worked given the right cast. The Apprentice also generates real stories - undistorted by the public voting out anyone with any distinctive character.

Most talent shows now tend to be unsatisfactory - as they tend to be steered to safe conclusions, the judges tend to reward people most like them, and the prizes have become devalued. Where talent is found, there's usually no follow up - which means the talented sometimes find themselves worse off. The Apprentice has been distorted by Sugar biases, and the needs of , and then lack of, a winners job. Simon doesn't care who wins the X factor - as he makes his money from the people tuning in to watch the bad acts and the fake dramas, and he can throw away the dull winners the public vote usually generates and grab anyone like 1 Direction who will make him money. Its inherently scripted, and not focused on singing. The voice is little better - almost as shaped, and winning has been even more pointless. BGT can survive - as there's always a novel act to find - this year an acrobat, next year a dog..... IAC somehow survives despite having similar people in similar roles every year doing excatly the same things - perhaps because people just like Ant and Dec. SCD has greater simplicity and more scope to be different working for it - but it may not survive the loss of its basic character with its key presenter going, and no similar replacement found.

I think the all stars series was a mixed indicator for DOI. The judging was random and actually got even more inconsistent and irrational in the final series . The voting was grossly distorted by ITV soap viewers bias. The results mirrored the quality of the routines allocated, more than the performer's ability. It didn't work when only some people got to explore the envelope of new moves, and while they suffered for adding difficulty - while simple routines hoovered up marks and votes. There was still the basic problem from normal series - that the choregraphers could only produce a few good routines, most contestants were very limited, and couldn't do more, and nearly everyone was limited to a range of moves that had all been seen by series 4. The positive thing was that there were a few more good , if simple routines, that largely went to Hayley and Ray, that could have sustained a couple of normal series . In Hayley's case, they could have been done , with more difficulty added , by most of the other female winners and runners up. That suggests things could be improved over what we saw in the last few regular series.

However, the basic problem would remain. How do you do something different and exciting enough to attract an audience - when most things that can be done have been done, very few people can do more , and the allstars series suggests that even the most able can't do more - and stay sharp at everything else - when there's so little training time available? DOI just invites the comment that Suzanne or Clare did that move better in series 2 and 3, or that that guy isn't as good as Chris or Ray. SCD has a lot more scope for letting the music, costume, and story take the strain, and letting stories develop. Learning a few steps on dry land is also a lot easier than learning the same steps, plus some tricks, on ice.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    the people that have impressed me the most on the show were Phil Schofield, Holly, Jason (at least he scored accurately and told the truth unlike the crybaby Karen Barber and Jason said it as it was and what people were thinking) and to an extent Ashley. for the contestants I would say Ray Quinn and Matt Lapinskas were the best. Couldn't stand Karen Barber. She was too much of a crybaby who needs to get over herself and show herself up. Like Jason said in 2011 if her opinion mattered on the show she would be on the panel like he was. Absolutely spot on Jason