Internet Explorer 404 not found page.

I've been using Internet Explorer and up till recently if a page could not be found, it would put up the standard Internet Explorer 404 not found page that we've all come to know and hate.

Now when a page can't be found it comes up with a page from android.brothersoft. c o m.

It's like something I have installed has changed the default it goes to. (Not surprising the amount of crap I install)

How can I change it back to the bog standard 404 page?

Not life and death but it's annoying and I can't find a option to change it in IE.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Internet Explorer and up till recently if a page could not be found, it would put up the standard Internet Explorer 404 not found page that we've all come to know and hate.

Now when a page can't be found it comes up with a page from android.brothersoft. c o m.

It's like something I have installed has changed the default it goes to. (Not surprising the amount of crap I install)

How can I change it back to the bog standard 404 page?

Not life and death but it's annoying and I can't find a option to change it in IE.

The 404 is generated by the server, so the domain is falling back to another substitute 404 that doesn't look like the one you expect but to a page that looks as if it might contain what you're looking for.

That is, unless you've been on the internet for more than 5 minutes. It's maybe the hosting or the DNS redirector for the expired page or domain you are looking for.

Either that or your host file/system/browser has been changed by malware.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    UGGG! Sounds complex!

I'm with Sky Broadband so are other Sky Broadband users getting directed to android.brothersoft. c o m when a page doesn't exist?

I'll run some malware scans later and see what they have to say.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That site works for me. Have you tried using another browser such as Google Chrome? Have you tried restarting your router?
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    That site works for me. Have you tried using another browser such as Google Chrome? Have you tried restarting your router?

Yes that site comes up just fine it just shouldn't any and every time it can't find another site!

That's the problem! Where as when it could find a site before, it would come up with the usual standard '404 page not found' page. Now whatever site it can't find, it redirects to this 'android.brothersoft. c o m' site every time.

Firefox doesn't seem to be doing it so it must be IE. ?

Example:

If I type "http://www.thesun.co.uk/eosjlx" (a page that is made up and doesn't exist) in Firefox, it just says that it can't find it.

If I type the same thing into IE, it redirects me to this 'android.brothersoft. c o m' site.

I ran malwarebytes last night and it found a few things that I got it to delete and also run Hijackthis and removed some things that I thought shouldn't be there, but it still defaults to the strange site.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member

Will that clear my typed URLs?
    Forum Member
    AH! Now that seems to have fixed it!

I'm now getting the old "The webpage cannot be found" instead of that strange website.

Now just need to get my IE back to how I have it!

Thanks for everyone's help.

EDIT: All back to normal now! - Must have been a nasty programme that changed it.