Moffat's Ominous Threats concerning Twelve's Character Traits

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have not been heartened to hear Moffat's recent description of his vision for Capaldi's Twelve.

Words he keeps using like 'Fierce'.

Stating that where Clara (who supposedly becomes enamoured with Eleven over the next two episodes, somewhat inexplicably) suddenly gets snapped out of it by someone who is 'completely different to Matt'.

Considering what a very sweet & convivial Doctor Matt has been, the complete opposite would tend to indicate a foul tempered d!ck.

"Fierce".... :o That word again keeps echoing around my head.

I'm starting to suspect that Moffat is setting us up for Colin Baker v2.0 - the least popular Doctor ever. :(

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »

"Fierce".... That word again keeps echoing around my head.

I'm starting to suspect that Moffat is setting us up for Colin Baker v2.0 - the least popular Doctor ever. :(

Are you suggesting that the Twelfth Doctor will therefore be equally unpopular?

William Hartnell's Doctor could be tetchy, selfish and ill tempered, but he was still very popular, so no guarantee that a "fierce" (whatever that is supposed to mean) Doctor will be an unpopular Doctor.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I just brought this up on another thread. I hope they don't make him dislikeable like they did Colin. Different is fine but, considering how much the Doctor owes Clara, I'm not liking the sound of this.

Also, you'd think Clara would be used to different personalities. She's had to put up with both Colin Baker's and William Hartnell's doctors by now (unless she loses her memory of such things, I suppose).
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm starting to suspect that Moffat is setting us up for Colin Baker v2.0 - the least popular Doctor ever. :(

Says who?? Colin's a very popular figure, his Doctor was a very strong character, arguably not well served by some of his scripts (and the less said about the coat the better...) but least popular Doctor? I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I think it's more a fact at the moment that 11 and Clara are a bit flirty. Clara clearly likes the Doctor more than a friend and I think that over the next 2 episodes her feelings will grow stronger for him only for her to be shell shocked when he suddenly changes his appearance to an older and (no offence Peter) not as good looking man. With the change of appearance also comes a change of personality due to the regeneration process. His brain will get scrambled and he will forget certain things and become something entirely different. He could also becoming closer to the Valeyard.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Capaldi being fierce...umm, I'm definitely looking forward to that. :)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Hartnell's Doctor could be tetchy, selfish and ill tempered, but he was still very popular, so no guarantee that a "fierce" (whatever that is supposed to mean) Doctor will be an unpopular Doctor.

As was Patrick Troughton's Doctor of course.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying us older guys get grumpy? besides fierce? Besides, Clara just loves her Doctor with all his different faces, what is one more face. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (no offence Peter) not as good looking man..

So am I alone in (no offence Matt) finding 11 visually very unattractive? as unattractive as 7.

I find Peter very attractive - oh dear I've just outed myself as 'a woman of a certain age'.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more a fact at the moment that 11 and Clara are a bit flirty. Clara clearly likes the Doctor more than a friend and I think that over the next 2 episodes her feelings will grow stronger for him only for her to be shell shocked when he suddenly changes his appearance to an older and (no offence Peter) not as good looking man. With the change of appearance also comes a change of personality due to the regeneration process. His brain will get scrambled and he will forget certain things and become something entirely different. He could also becoming closer to the Valeyard.

I really can't see the flirting between Doctor 11 and Clara, and it worries me if Moffat will all of a sudden change their relationship to a semi-romantic one. Yak!

Just have a companion who has a brain instead of ridiculous hormones.
    So am I alone in (no offence Matt) finding 11 visually very unattractive? as unattractive as 7.

I find Peter very attractive - oh dear I've just outed myself as 'a woman of a certain age'.

I don't find Matt unattractive, but I don't find him attractive either.

Peter on the other hand;)... and this has nothing to do with my age:cry:, I'm closer to Matt's age than Peter's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THANK YOU!

I feel much better (and younger) now.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not been heartened to hear Moffat's recent description of his vision for Capaldi's Twelve.

Words he keeps using like 'Fierce'.

Stating that where Clara (who supposedly becomes enamoured with Eleven over the next two episodes, somewhat inexplicably) suddenly gets snapped out of it by someone who is 'completely different to Matt'.

Considering what a very sweet & convivial Doctor Matt has been, the complete opposite would tend to indicate a foul tempered d!ck.

"Fierce".... :o That word again keeps echoing around my head.

Clara will be wondering where his manners went.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    OP, why can't you just title your threads 'Why I don't like Moffat' and number them numerically? It would make things so much easier for everyone. By the way, is this part 5 or 6?
  • Don't BlinkDon't Blink Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I personally can't wait for a more fierce doctor if this turns out to be the case. I think 10 and 11 have been more than fair for the most part in being quite affable and friendly to almost everyone.

I'd like more 9 like comments "just another stupid ape". If I was the Doctor, most things would annoy me!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has never been a bad doctor, only bad stories.....
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Moffatt, the professional writer, really say "different to"?

I've actually been a bit curious about this: what do they do when a new actor comes in? Presumably Capaldi and Moffatt get together, figure out the sort of approach they want to take, circulate that to the other writers, try it out for a year and see what trends develop? Is that the normal process?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Did 11 have any to begin with?:p
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Did 11 have any to begn with?:p

I think the Eleventh Doctor is very mannerly, nicely spoken and a perfect gentleman.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    OP, why can't you just title your threads 'Why I don't like Moffat' and number them numerically? It would make things so much easier for everyone. By the way, is this part 5 or 6?
    I don't dislike Moffat, however am objective enough to recognise his strengths AND weaknesses.

Strengths: Creates Genuinely Fascinating Monsters & writes outstanding 'stand-alone' episodes.
    Weaknesses: Diminishes Fantastic Monsters in dreadfully conceived, messily written, half-fulfilled arcs.

In so much as this is a character arc, yes... I'm concerned. It's difficult to root for or identify with a grumpy old sh|÷€.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sooner Moffat's gone the better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am I alone in (no offence Matt) finding 11 visually very unattractive?
    Yes, you're alone.

Matt doesn't have 'conventional' film star looks - but he's super, SUPER hot.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member

Definitely NOT alone!
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In so much as this is a character arc, yes... I'm concerned. It's difficult to root for or identify with a grumpy old sh|÷€.

You mean Colin Baker Syndrome?

Being one of Moffatt's arcs, everything would be signposted very heavily and hugely oversold. No doubt the payoff to lines like "... the Doctor's nastiest hour. He'll be more vicious than ever before and then so much kinder" will be the Doctor failing to apologise after absent-mindedly knocking over someone's coffee, then offering them a biscuit when he realises.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor will allways have two qualities women will allways find attractive brains and power. Sounds like he is going to change from "pretty boy" to "silver fox" !.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mboon wrote: »

I'm not a Moffat fan, but his comments about the new Doctor have lifted my spirits enormously! I'd like to Doctor to snarl. Much more preferable to him snivelling (as per D Tennant).

There has never been a bad doctor, only bad stories.....

AMEN SISTER! :D
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult to root for or identify with a grumpy old sh|÷€.

I for one, would strongly disagree with that. I will definitely be rooting for and identify with a grumpy Doctor.