Is Tom Daley Gay

Comments

• HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    That is no ones business but the poster not everyone is out.

It's really not hard to find out via my posting history, I'm on an advice thread about HIV, I openly discuss my sex life on it. :)
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread should be left to die. Let the boy live his life in peace!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    A simple "yes" or "no" answer will suffice...

I'll answer your silly question any way I like.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    I'll answer your silly question any way I like.

Clearly you don't want to answer it. Anyone reading our exchanges will easily make their own assumptions...;)
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Let's just all move on and let Tom get on with winning more medals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly you don't want to answer it. Anyone reading our exchanges will easily make their own assumptions...;)

Not really. You know some gay guys prefer not to go shouting about their sexuality on every thread they happen to post on, some would rather keep on topic.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, we have a young lad working hard to represent us at the Olympics and hopefully win a gold medal and all some people want to talk about is his sexuality? Imagine how you would feel to see a big headline on a massive public forum asking if you were gay, or another equally intrusive question. He's had a tough time lately, losing his dad to cancer, and I'm sure he could do without this ridiculous speculation about something which is entirely his business and no-one else's. Grow up!!
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    So, we have a young lad working hard to represent us at the Olympics and hopefully win a gold medal and all some people want to talk about is his sexuality? Imagine how you would feel to see a big headline on a massive public forum asking if you were gay, or another equally intrusive question. He's had a tough time lately, losing his dad to cancer, and I'm sure he could do without this ridiculous speculation about something which is entirely his business and no-one else's. Grow up!!

Well said.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely!

People are so childish! :yawn:
  • YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really get it but surely speculating about someone being gay is the same as speculating whether they are straight? Isn't it the same thing? Just because we live in a society where the most common assumption is you're straight, that's the way the question's asked in that orientation.

If the majority of people in the world were gay, then surely the question would be asked 'Is Joe bloggs straight'?

Or am I being naive and have missed something?
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right! But one more thing (:o) In theory asking if someone is gay is not an intrusive question, but...
    You're assuming everyone's reason to stay in the closet is the same. I know one guy who is the son of a Pastor, coming out would make life difficult for him, may even be ostracised by his family if he does. I think it's his right to stay in the closet if he wishes to.

Tom Daley, even though he is in the public eye, isn't an movie star or pop star whose career and high earnings as a pin-up and fantasy for females will be over if he comes out, he's just someone so good at diving he's representing his country at competitions. He's not trying to fool people, if that's what he feels at the moment then it's up to everyone else to accept it and move on.

Remember that not every gay guy comes out on their 18th birthday, for some it takes time to accept themselves as gay, many will feel more comfortable saying they are bisexual, some come out in later years after being married and raising children.

Stereotypes are that we're all obsessed with sex and that we enjoy salacious gossiping about others, which is evident in this thread.

No I'm not. I am aware there's different reasons for a person to not want to admit they're gay, or have this speculated on. In an ideal world no one would mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, we have a young lad working hard to represent us at the Olympics and hopefully win a gold medal and all some people want to talk about is his sexuality? Imagine how you would feel to see a big headline on a massive public forum asking if you were gay, or another equally intrusive question.

I'd feel fine about it. I'm gay - and happy to be so.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree.

Tom has been asked about the speculation about his sexuality and he has said he is straight and in a relationship, why isn't that enough for some people? He has no reason to lie.

As for the Olympics, I couldn't care less about a single British competitors sexuality, the colour of their skin, or anything else about them, all i know is I'll be supporting all of them and cheering them on to do their best for their country and we should be proud of all of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.

Tom has been asked about the speculation about his sexuality and he has said he is straight and in a relationship, why isn't that enough for some people? He has no reason to lie.

Joe McElderry was straight
    Rock Hudson was straight
    Liberace was straight

;););)

He may not be lying -just not aware of it
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fundamental issue here is that people are still treating the 'is he gay?' question as if it implies something offensive.

'Is he gay?'

is no different to

'does he have a girlfriend?'

Yet the second question would be met with nowhere near the level of hostility. Isn't that an odd thing for an 'equal' society?
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

HenryBane is open-minded
    That's all that matters if he chooses not to answer then why does that matter to you?
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know about being gay, but my daughter went to school with him, and he is so far up is his own backside he must have used a springboard to get there
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I, so what's this then?

My ANSWER

And could you explain the 'fairly obvious reasons' because the 'fairly obvious reasons' aren't fairly obvious to me.

Completely ignoring the part where a poster IN THIS THREAD speculated that he had a girlfriend...

Doing so speculates that he's straight, does it not?

The fairly obvious reasons are Bomo is right in what he says, and you want to brush it under the carpet.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    The fundamental issue here is that people are still treating the 'is he gay?' question as if it implies something offensive.

'Is he gay?'

is no different to

'does he have a girlfriend?'

Yet the second question would be met with nowhere near the level of hostility. Isn't that an odd thing for an 'equal' society?

Its not that the question implies something offensive, its just that certain sections of society are still so backwards that their reaction may well be. Why do you think no professional footballers have come out as being gay? They'd be abused non-stop for the 90 minutes of each match, if not by their own fans then certainly by the opposition. And anyway, why should we know if he has a girlfriend? He's a diver - that's the only part of his life that should be open for discussion.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a mo and good for him.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to the OP question, I personally think he is, but if as has apparently been cited he says he's not, then we have to prima facie accept that.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldnt agree more, well said.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YULSTAR wrote: »
    I don't really get it but surely speculating about someone being gay is the same as speculating whether they are straight? Isn't it the same thing? Just because we live in a society where the most common assumption is you're straight, that's the way the question's asked in that orientation.

If the majority of people in the world were gay, then surely the question would be asked 'Is Joe bloggs straight'?

Or am I being naive and have missed something?

Yes you're missing something , at his young age his sexuality is not fully defined and laid down in stone , it's a confusing time .Speaking as a gay man , Imagine for a second the possibility that he's totally straight but a bunch of perverts who would like to get into his speedoes if they could are openly discussing his supposed gayness on the internet.It's enough to screw anyone up .
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    Yes you're missing something , at his young age his sexuality is not fully defined and laid down in stone , it's a confusing time .Speaking as a gay man , Imagine for a second the possibility that he's totally straight but a bunch of perverts who would like to get into his speedoes if they could are openly discussing his supposed gayness on the internet.It's enough to screw anyone up .

He's 18, not 12. Also, do you really think it's appropriate to be throwing around accusations that you can't back up?
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's 18, not 12. Also, do you really think it's appropriate to be throwing around accusations that you can't back up?

What accusations am I throwing around ? I'm saying the guy may not be gay but a load of people who find him hot and would like him to be gay are starting threads about it . You only have to read this thread to know that's true .
This discussion has been closed.