Sound In The Cinema VS Your Home Sound

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
What is the best cinema audio you have heard in a real one?
And is your home audio better than it or not?
I have tried searching about actual cinema speakers and audio on google but nothing won't come up and it only brings up stuff to do with home surround.

The last film I saw was Rise of the Planet of the Apes the audio was OK but the cinema was really old and has now closed so don't think I will get another chance to go much now as the closest is Colchester or Ipswich and for the price it cost to get there I would rather wait for the Blu Ray to come out as it will be about the same price if not much cheaper.

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best ever sound was the last starfighter leicester sq theatre. 70mm.

surround works better in cinema even on the original dolby theatre matrix 2 channel analogue because the room is much larger and haas effect works correctly.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember the 1st uk thx in warners. it was louder. but certainly not better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The IMAX at Odeon cinema in Manchester. Nothing else I've heard comes close to it. Although even the normal screens at the same cinema have some of the best sound I've heard in non IMAX screens.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Home Cinema system using a Yamaha AV Decoder with a 7:1 speaker system and it works well. Trouble is I only have a small lounge and consequently cannot drive the sound to the same high level which can be achieved in a cinema because the neighbours would certainly hear it!

As long as the sound is clear, precise, with dialogue coming from the centre and the surround left and right, it does sound great even at a moderate level. Having it too loud is a fallacy, a mistake which many people make. It is not the volume which counts, but the clarity. Tonight, I watched Rise of the Planet of The Apes on blu-ray and even with sound at a moderate level, it sounded great.

Music sounds great too, especially when I switch the AV Decoder to Music Enhancement 7 Channel.