Anyone else dislike really long drawn out intros and dialogue (talkies?) in songs?

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Maybe its just me as I guess I can be a bit of an impatient person(!) but I'm not keen on most songs that have a really long drawn out intro. I think the only exception to this would be good rock tracks that open with a catchy hook, like Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses) but otherwise songs that try to create a big atmosphere and take ages to get to any lyrics make me shake my head and cringe at times.

I cringe even more when a track starts with (or includes later on) what I call a 'talkie', ie. dialogue, often with one person on the phone to another or flirting with another person. Was it ever cool to add such dialogue to songs? its annoying if your singing along to a song, thinking you've got the hang of it and it suddenly goes into a dialogue lol or you put a song on, waiting for the chorus but have to skip a long piece of dialogue that leads on to the song - get on with the song already :mad:

ah it feels good to get that off my chest lol ive not been keen on these things for a while and just wondered if thats me being really picky or if others feel the same? just out of curiosity. Oh and don't get me started on hidden tracks, when you get to the end of an album, the last song ends and have to fast forward 5+ minutes to reach the supposedly hidden track everyone knows is there since the last track is apparently 15 minutes long or some such. Just add it as a separate track(!).

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from when Barry White did it ,yes.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me.
    To me a song is much more than a melody or a vehicle for a sing-a-long.

Some songs are good,some are bad, regardless of their construction.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends on the song. I can do without talkies but if an extended intro is integral to building the sound then it's all good. Some songs seem to have a long intro just for the sake of it though.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Some of my favourite tracks have no vocals at all and would probably just sound like one long intro to other people. :p
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Some of my favourite tracks have no vocals at all and would probably just sound like one long intro to other people. :p

It depends on the track - I have some tracks with no lyrics that I like, if the hook/riffs are really good then thats fine but there are some songs that try to be really arty and start quite quiet and build up but it takes so long and I'd rather just fast forward to the main hook - I realise how impatient this makes me sound though :o it depends on the track
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of Don't Go Knockin' on My Dear. :mad:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few I like a lot.

Long drawn out outros are worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Quite a few I like a lot.

Long drawn out outros are worse.

I can't seem to think of many examples of that - care to share any? out of interest.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time this really bothered me was that stupid phone conversation in the middle of Alicia Keys' 'you don't know my name'. That song is absolutely gorgeous and the interlude just ruins it.

Luckily I found a version without it online somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's done well it adds something. I love the talking part in Elvis's 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'.

The worst I've heard is Leona Lewis asking 'Can you turn the m-music up, please?' like a timid little mouse before one of her album tracks starts. It makes me cringe.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very long, drawn out, thread title ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    That's a very long, drawn out, thread title ;)

Yeah im a hypocrit, I know. I've been working on condensing my posts - I couldn't think how else to word the title to put the topic across. I guess I could have taken out the last couple of words and changed the first two for 'do you' - oh well :-/
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I really dislike the intro to Never Ever by All Saints, it annoys me every time I hear it on the radio and they don't cut speaking off..

I also don't like the Kerry Katona part in Atomic Kitten's Whole Again, made even worse when I heard the Japanese edit of the song which is Kerry literally talking EVERY lyric in the song apart from the chorus'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dislike the intro to Never Ever by All Saints, it annoys me every time I hear it on the radio and they don't cut speaking off..

I also don't like the Kerry Katona part in Atomic Kitten's Whole Again, made even worse when I heard the Japanese edit of the song which is Kerry literally talking EVERY lyric in the song apart from the chorus'

The start of Never Ever sounded rather patronising to me but maybe thats just me(?) :o

There can be quite alot of 'talkies' (or whatever you call them) in urban R&B tracks from the late 1990s, like some of the songs on Honeyz Wonder No. 8 album, if I remember right.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Well, this song has a spoken everything and it's bl**dy brilliant! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCRZpLm9Y5g
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

Thats good once the music starts :p
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video Kaskade & Deadmau5 - I Remember is one of the worst with talkies. Basically, this man is having a conversation with two other men and you seem to hear the conversation every 10 seconds throughout the whole song when you are trying to listen to it.

Also, I like dance tracks and I downloaded this Dance Nation CD but the songs have like 1-2min outros which is annoying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time this really bothered me was that stupid phone conversation in the middle of Alicia Keys' 'you don't know my name'. That song is absolutely gorgeous and the interlude just ruins it.

Luckily I found a version without it online somewhere.

Not even the "So what do you do?" [silence] "oh that's interesting" line as if she could care less :D

Sort of a 'talkie' as she's still singing but the last bit of Beyonce's Resentment is actually the best bit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Not even the "So what do you do?" [silence] "oh that's interesting" line as if she could care less :D

That was just bad voice "acting" the whole way through. Still funny. Beautiful song, but the phone dialogue kinda ruined it.

Shania Twain's You're Still The One also comes to mind. I can really do without that spoken monologue. Most spoken parts of the song sounds fake and sometimes emotionless. As great as the song may be, it sometimes takes away the feeling of that music. As for long instrumentals, My Sharona comes to mind. All that instrumental break just to have only a few more lines of the song and then finish. :mad:

+1

Kerry's version of Whole Again was pretty bad. It really bothered me that she spoke the whole time. All Saints intro really annoys the shit out of me too. Their "sing-talk" (talking to the beat of the song) was just plain contriving.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the ones that are in the middle of the song that either make no sense (Britney Spears Oooops I Did It Again) or just sound really stupid (Taylor Swift's weeeEEEEEeee are never never ever getting back togetherr cos I say so and I'm so great blah blah blah).
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

IzzyS wrote: »
    Thats good once the music starts :p

Van Morrison's free verse reflection 'Coney Island', good choice. I suggest the OP never listens to Van's 'Summertime in England' then with it's long intro, it's stream of consciousness lyrics, it's 'praise' dialogue between Van and band member and the continuous changes in dynamics throughout. But those who appreciate that there is a bit more to music than verse, chorus, verse chorus etc. here it is (minus long intro) 'Summertime in England' from Common One.
    Or if you want the intro.

My first thought was Eminem who has also made good use of dialogue/monologue in his work. And some great long intros like 'Bittersweet Symphony' or New Order's 'Ceremony'.....integral parts of the songs.

And then there's

'Is she really going out with him? Well there she is, let's ask her. Betty, is that Jimmy's ring you're wearing?...'

I really have no idea what the OP is on about. I love the variety and the inventiveness.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a version of Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" with dialogue at the start;

Brandy: "excuse me, can I please talk to you for a minute?"
    Monica: "yeah sure, you know....you look kind of familiar"
    Brandy: " yeah you do too. Well I just want to know do you know somebody named ______ ?
    Monica: "oh yeah I know his name!"
    Brandy: "we'll I just want you to know that he's mine"
    Monica: " nuh-uh, he's mine!"

CRIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGEEEEE:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    There's a version of Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" with dialogue at the start;

Brandy: " yeah you do too. Well I just want to know do you know somebody named ______ ?

My goodness, THANK YOU!!!!!!! That part really got on my nerves as well. The song is okay, but that dialogue thing was just embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

I hate that - its awful! Serious cringe-age! Thats exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. Its like their trying so hard to sound so cool and assertive it doesn't really seem to add any extra atmosphere to the song at all (in my opinion).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How talking should be done on a song......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vS_By_ZZ0g

Plus a bit of dad dancing.......