yourpics@bbc.co.uk - causing people to attend incidents

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
So a conclusion is now being drawn that the continual increase in news people saying "send us your pictures now" "give us your video clips" is actually causing people to attend incidents and get in the way of everyone trying to help. When the airplane crashed in Toronto people were taking pictures as they got out of a burning aircraft and turning around, and in Hemel Hempstead people were going towards the blaze to get the pictures....

the question now is: Is it time the news 24 people stopped asking for pictures as this causes people to visit sites and get in the way and possibly endanger their own and other people trying to escape live's?

Comments

• sosidgesosidge Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    If someone is STUPID enough to walk towards an oil fire to get a picture they DESERVE to have their life endangered.

It is called natural selection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, when people endanger their lives (intentionally or not) there is usually someone risking their lives to save them
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ALL news organisations asking for this - and we are all partly to blame, in our thirst for instant news coverage it's the quickets and most cost-effective way of getting important pictures first (without having to get a film/sound crew and reported on the scene).
  • LostObsessiveLostObsessive Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answer to your question, No its not time they stopped.

If people are stupid to go through cordons (as they did at Hemel), then if they die, they die.

I went to Hemel, took some pretty cool pics, from behind the cordons. Whats wrong with that?
  • rustbucketjoerustbucketjoe Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Very strong opinions! Let's face it though, no-one deserves to die. What's wrong with people wanting to take pictures of things? It's a digital age, no? As far as the comment about "getting in the way" goes I don't feel that's strictly true. I don't feel there is so much desperation to get a picture... it's only a news channel not anything earth shattering. News will travel, inevitably...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Did you see how many mince pies Holly got in her mouth ! God its so big !
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread methinks ;)

Anyway back on topic - if people are stupid enough to risk their lives, then so be it. If they didn't do it for a phone picture, they'd probably do it for something else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Good point raised here

It does seem the news coroperations are encouraging people to go to the incident but they are not forcing us to go. In the end if people are stupid enough to put their own lives at risks then it's their choice
    I think it's more for the people who are already at the incidents to send pictures in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member

Sorry mate, a plane crash or the likes isnt natural selection, it has nothing to do with nature and evolution.
    :)

But I'm now wanting to know what thread it did belong to???? :):) the mind boggles. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...When the airplane crashed in Toronto people were taking pictures as they got out of a burning aircraft and turning around...

There is one aspect there that bothered me about this; if people are THIS stoopid, they are potentially preventing others from getting out of buring planes etc endagering others' lives.

The trouble is, people seem to be very goullish; look at the tailbacks caused because people want to oggle car crashes on motorways etc.

I have also heard of situations where people, instead of helping the injured, are taking mobile phone photographs instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    It's called citizen journalism and it's only going to increase - to be honest in the digital age if people weren't taking pics to send to news channel they would only be taking them to post on Flickr, in blogs or on a message board.
  • thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its alright up to a point, if people want to take the pics let them. But it is bit sick sometimes, like after 7/7 when people first reaction was to get out their phone cam and film bodies, rather than try to help people.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    Sorry mate, a plane crash or the likes isnt natural selection, it has nothing to do with nature and evolution.:)
    I think the OP was thinking that about the people who endager their own lives in taking the pictures, not those involved in the actual incident.
    But I'm now wanting to know what thread it did belong to???? :):) the mind boggles. :D
    That makes two of us!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whaaat? :confused::D:D:D
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sosidge wrote:
    If someone is STUPID enough to walk towards an oil fire to get a picture they DESERVE to have their life endangered.

I couldn't agree more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I think the OP was thinking that about the people who endager their own lives in taking the pictures, not those involved in the actual incident.

Aye, I understand that, but it still isnt natural selection, be it people dying in plane crashes or risking their own lives to help others it still isnt 'natural selection'.

But hey, it's no big deal :):)