What the hell does "you think I come off of a Banana boat mean

Comments

• DaisydozyDaisydozy Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    titfortat wrote: »
    Why Austrlia never came over on Bananna boats thou so why say it.
    Perhaps because he has heard his British parents say it, or someone else say it and it was of no consequence to those on the WHATM thread.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    What's a banana boat?
    A boat that brought bananas from certain countries into Britain before it was easier to bring them in by air
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a banana boat?

Don't look it up in the urban dictionary:o
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisydozy wrote: »
    Perhaps because he has heard his British parents say it, or someone else say it and it was of no consequence to those on the WHATM thread.

I think people are just loooking for controversy.
  • nortonblimeynortonblimey Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I think the point is...there is no such thing as a bannana boat , or a boat made from bannana's ,so it means do you think I am stupid or what?
    I find it really strange that some people would read something into this about race.
  • Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Well I've asked and no one seems to think this happened? :confused:
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think the point is...there is no such thing as a bannana boat , or a boat made from bannana's ,so it means do you think I am stupid or what?
    I find it really strange that some people would read something into this about race.

People are very hyper sensitive these days.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its mischief making imho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    Well I've asked and no one seems to think this happened? :confused:

Well I have been watching livefeed but missed him saying this.
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    I always believed it had rascist connotations but presumed the meaning now was just being naive and people that used it never had rascist intent.

I've looked it up and there's even a sunscreen called it so I was wrong.

I wikied it and there doesn't appear to be any rascist overtones at all - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_boat
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    I think people are just loooking for controversy.
    Seems that way.
  • MariaLeFrink2MariaLeFrink2 Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never mind :cool:
  • LMAOLMAO Posts: 3,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means the same as saying ...Do you think I fell off the turnip truck?
    Forum Member
    So WHAT is a Banana boat then?
    Google is your friend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never mind :cool:

I have stated before. Its an ice cream dish. ;)
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    Sounds racist to me. But it hasn't been picked up in the WHATM thread. :confused:

Not racist in the least!
  • FirewalkerFirewalker Posts: 2,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless stupid thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    I always believed it had rascist connotations but presumed the meaning now was just being naive and people that used it never had rascist intent.

I've looked it up and there's even a sunscreen called it so I was wrong.

I wikied it and there doesn't appear to be any rascist overtones at all - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_boat

I think the phrase is an adaption of 'fresh off the boat', meaning any foreigner arriving, not able to speak the language, not knowing what was going on etc. So I guess naive in essence.
    Forum Member
    Of course there was such a thing as a banana boat

look at your history

after WW2 some kids had never seen a banana so when the banana boats came in it made big news
  • K139K139 Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it ment naive,as in green like how the bananas are when they are loaded on the ships.
    Forum Member
    LMAO wrote: »
    It means the same as saying ...Do you think I fell off the turnip truck?
    Thats quite a good comparison
  • SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is. I dont think JJ is racist but the term is.

Im mixed race and the amount of times Banana boat is used to put a balck person down is very common

Hang on...I thought you said you'd never heard the expression before.? Now I'm confused. :confused:

Here:
    But why I have never heard that saying before. Its it ment to mean Black people are stupid who came over in the 60's

As far as I was aware, it means naive...nothing more, nothing less.
  • titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    I shal explain then in the 1960's when an influx of carabiane people came over to britan to work they came over on ships and boats.

Im sure most of you have heard the term why dont you home on your bananna boat becuses bananna were also shiped in from that thoses countrys too.

So people who were coming off of the "ban boats were black people. so to me that term means black people are stupid. what eles can it mean. I have never heard that term before in my life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shal explain then in the 1960's when an influx of carabiane people came over to britan to work they came over on ships and boats.

Im sure most of you have heard the term why dont you home on your bananna boat becuses bananna were also shiped in from that thoses countrys too.

So people who were coming off of the "ban boats were black people. so to me that term means black people are stupid. what eles can it mean. I have never heard that term before in my life

You seem determined to turn this into something racist. Why ask if you think you already know the answer?
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    It just means, 'do you think I'm stupid?'. And the answer is yes. :)

EDIT: Not me, I'm not stupid. JJ is. :o