Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute Bille Holiday

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute ‘Lady Sings The Blues’

This is an amazing gig for Alexandra, and I hope that these are some of the sounds that she will be experimenting with on her US debut Album.

Thoughts?

Read more: http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/03/alexandra-burke-announces-royal-albert-hall-residency-tribute-lady-sings-blues/#ixzz2OYxPfr00
Follow us: @ThatGrapeJuice on Twitter | ThatGrapeJuiceOfficial on Facebook

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Interesting news. Let's hope she gets the career boost she needs after the flop that was Heartbreak On Hold.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean she is now living in the Royal Albert Hall? Poor thing. :(
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's going to 'tribute' Billie Holiday? Something tells me that ain't gonna be pretty.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm interesting career move. She is going back to the music where is at her best, but to take on Billie Holiday, who today still has one of the most unique voices to have ever been heard.

Good luck to her
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy she has landed such a great venue. She certainly has the vocals to pull off those songs, so it will be a great opportunity for her before her 3rd album comes out later this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I'm happy she has landed such a great venue. She certainly has the vocals to pull off those songs, so it will be a great opportunity for her before her 3rd album comes out later this year.

It's not big vocals that she needs to pull off a Billie Holiday song. Billie Holiday didn't have a big vocal range. She did have a very distinctive voice and styling.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy that she's getting to showcase her voice again in a way that totally takes her out of the horribly corrupt uk pop scene for a little while. Hopefully she can still finish her 3rd album though while she's doing this!
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    It's not big vocals that she needs to pull off a Billie Holiday song. Billie Holiday didn't have a big vocal range. She did have a very distinctive voice and styling.

True. But it will be interesting to see how she sings them. Alex is a powerhouse, but she´s great when she holds back at times, as Before The Rain showed. Anywho, a residency is a residency. I tried to get on the site but nothing came up...how much are tickets?
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gig went on sale 9 this morning, 3 shows sold out already
    Forum Member
    gig went on sale 9 this morning, 3 shows sold out already

The whole thing´s gone now. Shame. I´ll have to rely on YT :D
  • speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    People do realise that she isn't actually playing "The Albert Hall" don't they? The article says that she is playing The Elgar Room in the Albert Hall which holds about 300 people I would guess. I've seem a couple of bands play there (like the late great Pete and the Pirates) and its a really great little room for seeing bands in an "intimate" setting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    I'm happy that she's getting to showcase her voice again in a way that totally takes her out of the horribly corrupt uk pop scene for a little while. Hopefully she can still finish her 3rd album though while she's doing this!

She's just as much a part of the horribly corrupt pop scene as any other.
    Forum Member
    speedyboi wrote: »
    People do realise that she isn't actually playing "The Albert Hall" don't they? The article says that she is playing The Elgar Room in the Albert Hall which holds about 300 people I would guess. I've seem a couple of bands play there (like the late great Pete and the Pirates) and its a really great little room for seeing bands in an "intimate" setting.

She seems to like small gigs. She did that for her first tour which was odd, because it ought to have been bigger. She is great in a small setting though. You really get to hear her voice and get chills :D:eek:
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    She's just as much a part of the horribly corrupt pop scene as any other.

Of course. Everyone is part of the same machine. It's called making money. BIG money :D:p:cool:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for her for selling out the dates

Just goes to show despite a flop album, there is still an interest in her. I can't wait for her to come back with album 3. Overcome was a great debut.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got a good voice and needs that to be the important thing, not songs with rappers and second-rate dance routines so I hope this works for her.

I love Billie Holiday but that doesn't make me think she can't do her justice. I even think Nina Simone does a better job of Strange Fruit which some might regard as blasphemy.
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    She's got a good voice and needs that to be the important thing, not songs with rappers and second-rate dance routines so I hope this works for her.

I love Billie Holiday but that doesn't make me think she can't do her justice. I even think Nina Simone does a better job of Strange Fruit which some might regard as blasphemy.

That is the song I neeeed her to sing! I might just die of excitement!