Is Windows 7 really that bad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got Windows 7 on my other cpu and been told to avoid it like the plague so was wondering is it really as bad as people make out?

Been told by friends to stick to XP as its the best windows version.

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Really??? I think you have been misinformed.......Were they wearing tin foil hats?? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Windows 7 is arguably the best version that has been released.

You may be thinking of windows 8, which has come under a lot of criticism recently! Or windows vista which was terrible
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with WIndows 7. You might be thinking of Windows 8, which hasn't been anywhere near as well received.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Windows 7 is arguably the best version that has been released.

Even better than XP?

I wonder how many xp games will work.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better than XP?

Loads in the emulation modes available that shipped with win7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as your machine has good enough sepcifications to run windows 7 then it should be at least as good as xp, if not better.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stick to setting up your home network with your new router, there's nothing wrong with Win7.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with Windows 7 or Windows 8 for that matter. :)
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

With friends giving advice like that who needs enemies? :rolleyes:

W7- probably best OS MS has made to date.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Windows 7 is fine. It's so good I have a Windows 7 partition on my Mac :D It's basically a modernised versionof XP (and what Vista should have been according to my dad) and I liked XP back in the day. Windows 8, on the other hand...
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Even better than XP?

7 won't play all the xp games - though the professional version may play more. It also has quirks like not letting you arrange files in documents in your own order by just lifting and placing them. But otherwise its fast, fine and has fewer security issues than XP and useful additions. Its Windows 8 which is the issue - an operating system seemingly designed to pretend a PC is a phone, and adding unnecesary complications for anyone who wants a PC to just do what it did with W7 and earlier .
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend using Classic Shell with W7. This helps sort out some of the areas where it is not quite right such as the start menu and windows explorer.

Overall a good operating system even if some aspects are dumbed down from XP.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 is an excellent operating system, just don't install it on a low-spec machine. That was Vista's massive downfall...sticking it on machines built for XP, so then it ran really slow and tarnished the reputation.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    That was Vista's massive downfall...

Nothing to do with the fact even basic things such as file copy were broken taking double the time XP,2000 or NT4 would have done for the same file copy , or access file shares was painfully slow

By the time it was to SP2 all the things that made it poo were ironed out. Which is the base of which Windows 7 is built from.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Windows 7 could be argued to be the best operating system ever released.

XP, though much loved, is retired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start button is terrible.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    The start button is terrible.

:D:D.......
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 7 is fine. It's so good I have a Windows 7 partition on my Mac :D It's basically a modernised versionof XP (and what Vista should have been according to my dad) and I liked XP back in the day. Windows 8, on the other hand...

Is just Windows 7 with a porch tacked on the front, so is just as good. :cool:

(I completed your sentence for you ;) )
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »

Haha :D W8 is probably just like W7 if you use Classic Shell, Start8 or whatever with it. I won't say what I think of the rest of it though ;)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »

Ironically, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are all just derivatives of Windows Vista.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a die hard XP fan.

Then I changed to Windows 7...and never looked back.

XP is almost end of life, get on to Win 7 now :)
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XP is horribly outdated now. Back when Vista came out, XP still remained the sane choice, as Vista was incredibly poor.

But with the release of Windows 7, if you have a computer capable of running 7 comfortably, you'd be insane to consider the antiquated XP.

As for Windows 8, apart from some very poor UI design choices, it's not too bad either. But for me personally, it doesn't offer me any incentive to upgrade from 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as your machine has good enough sepcifications to run windows 7 then it should be at least as good as xp, if not better.

Its a new computer I bought it has 4 gig of ram and on 3.2 ghz with a decent graphics card.

I didnt get any disks or anything with the computer so if I get a HD crash I wont have a clue what disks I need.

Its all set up for me to use but im really tempted to just erase the hard drive and install win xp as thats what ive always been used to or would you not recommend this?

Will win 7 work with programs like cover xp?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a new computer I bought it has 4 gig of ram and on 3.2 ghz with a decent graphics card.

I didnt get any disks or anything with the computer so if I get a HD crash I wont have a clue what disks I need.

Its all set up for me to use but im really tempted to just erase the hard drive and install win xp as thats what ive always been used to or would you not recommend this?

Will win 7 work with programs like cover xp?

Stick with 7. The are going to get rid of the annoying start menu soon.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got Windows 7 on my other cpu and been told to avoid it like the plague so was wondering is it really as bad as people make out?

The question should be is windows 8 that good?